Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #11
rdsovchen
Draft Prospect

Location: Settled in CLEVELAND OH of all places with wife and two girls.
Member Number: 8369
Default Re: Would the Steelers ..................

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Sorry, PNP - we'll have to agree to disagree. He was a #1 draft pick in 1980 (chosen by the Steelers), as well as the Senior Bowl MVP that year, and was, imho, a total bust. He also was, again imho, one of the most pompous SOB's who ever was privileged to wear the black and gold.
Why didn't he get a picture of a demonized skeleton holding a sickle?
Old 08-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #12
billybob
Banned

Member Number: 5364

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
I think you're being a bit hard on Malone... A shitball? come on... He wasn't that bad. He wasn't as good as Bradshaw, but he wasn't a shitball.
Wasn't he the first ever "Malone" to lose a game against the Jets.The only team that had up till that time never beaten us?I think we were 6-0 or7-0 until then.Old brad use to change the play himself,and that led to tension with Chuck. Even if the play worked.
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #13
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
What would have made it really interesting is if Bradshaw had tried to come back in 1984 and we had drafted a young Dan Marino in the 1983 draft. What would the Steelers have done then?
I don't know ... won another Super Bowl or two?
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #14
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
I think you're being a bit hard on Malone... A shitball? come on... He wasn't that bad. He wasn't as good as Bradshaw, but he wasn't a shitball.
I have to agree with HTG on this one. Malone was terrible, stunk, dreadful...and any other synonym of these words. Stoudt stunk as well. The only thing he ever hit was whatever he punched in that bar that broke his hand early in his career.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #15
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
I don't know ... won another Super Bowl or two?
Let's see, if we put Dan on some teams, what could he have done:

1984 - I think we would have won the AFC, but the 49'ers that year were extremely strong.

1987 - We had a good defense, terrible Malone lead offense. I think we could have made a Super Bowl trip that year. Cleveland was strong though and would have been tough to get past in the AFC.

1989 - Marino vs. Elway in Denver. Bubby almost beat Elway in the Divisional Round. I think Marino would have. I think this was the year Denver was slaughtered by the 49'ers. This was said to be the 9'ers best team of their dynasty.

1990 - The Steelers would have won the Cody Carlson game at the end of the season vs. Houston with Marino. Who knows after that.

1992 - Cowher's first team, NOD and Bubby took us to 11-5. At the beginning of the Buffalo playoff game, that game was there for us to take. We didn't have the offense to pull it off. We would have with Marino.

1993 - Barely made the playoffs, but I think we win the division easily with Marino leading the team. Do you really think Marino would have lost to Marty in the playoffs at Kansas City! Still had to go through Buffalo to go to the Super Bowl...and then...face one of the best teams I have ever seen since our 70's Steelers...the 1992-3 Cowboys.

1994 - Marino would have saved us from the Alfred Pupuno moment. Again, another strong 49'er team would have been waiting.

1995 - We beat Dallas with Marino. Besides, Marino...with his temper...would have strangled Corey Holliday on the sideline if Corey ran the wrong route on him that cost him a pick and us the game. After that, he would have strangled Yancey Thigpen for dropping that wide open pass that would have set us up nicely in Cowboys territory.

1996 - Marino, while slowing down, would have easily made us a much stronger SB contender than T-zak did.

1997 - Another SB win with Marino against Green Bay. Romanowski doesn't get the chance to call Dan dumb in this game.

1998-9 - We were bad...really bad and free agency had taken it's toll. I don't think Dan would have made much of a difference with this bunch.

I think we would have won 2 Super Bowls with Dan.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #16
Blitzburgh_Fever
Starter

Member Number: 7228

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksteelers55 View Post
the problem is not that they have Rodgers behind him for me Favre was there before him and even though he said he quits,Rodgers has been injured more in 3 years than Favre in his entire carreer.

The REAL problem is that because they thought that Favre was retired they spent a high draft pick on a QB instead of adressing other needs.
This hasn't really been that big of an issue. The Packers have gotten trades out of first round QBs under Favre before, no reason Rodgers couldn't have been the same. A bit too late now though, probably.
Blitzburgh_Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:52 PM   #17
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob View Post
Wasn't he the first ever "Malone" to lose a game against the Jets.The only team that had up till that time never beaten us?I think we were 6-0 or7-0 until then.Old brad use to change the play himself,and that led to tension with Chuck. Even if the play worked.
I seem to remember some fan in the late 80's...in protest of Malone starting for another dreadful year...drove his car up some ramp at Three Rivers Stadium because he was so P'O'd.

Do any of you remember this?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:22 PM   #18
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

agreed 1995 and 1997 would have been ring years with Marino. Heck we woulda won it in 1997 anyway if not for Mr. Elway.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #19
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsovchen View Post
Why didn't he get a picture of a demonized skeleton holding a sickle?
You got it 'coz you're special.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #20
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Guess it depends on the situation. It would all depend on who you had behind him.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote