Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
rdsovchen
Draft Prospect

Location: Settled in CLEVELAND OH of all places with wife and two girls.
Member Number: 8369
Default State of the Steelers

I know it's early, but so far.... not so good!

We have a starting nose tackle 40 lbs overweight, a starting safety with a continually aggravated hamstring and a starting guard with a bad arm. All on the PUP list!

We have a first round draft pick who can't hammer into the end zone from 2 yards out!

We have numerous players with groin injuries, abdominal injuries and other minor, but practice limiting injuries.

Many players, so far, have been limited to practice time while players get shuffled around to fill the voids.

Will this team be able to turn it around and become a cohesive unit before training camp ends?
Old 08-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: State of the Steelers

yep, we're doomed to an 0-16 season
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

You forgot to add that are "all world" conerback tore his ACL in the first game of the season ........ oh, sorry that was 1995 and we were so doomed we made the Super Bowl. My mistake ..... didn't mean to interupt your "sky is falling - we are doomed to fail" thread.

Please carry forward.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsovchen View Post
I know it's early, but so far.... not so good!

We have a starting nose tackle 40 lbs overweight, a starting safety with a continually aggravated hamstring and a starting guard with a bad arm. All on the PUP list!

We have a first round draft pick who can't hammer into the end zone from 2 yards out!

We have numerous players with groin injuries, abdominal injuries and other minor, but practice limiting injuries.

Many players, so far, have been limited to practice time while players get shuffled around to fill the voids.

Will this team be able to turn it around and become a cohesive unit before training camp ends?
1. Casey's weight is a problem, but anyone who believes that he played at 325 the past 3 or 4 seasons also probably believes that Bettis's playing weight was at the listed 255 in the media guide. Casey will need to shed some weight and will be fine by the start of the regular season, but the key here is getting Aaron Smith back. Casey's effectiveness, as anyone's would be, was really cut into when Eason was playing next to him. The only problem I see for Casey is his long term health. Sometimes you just need to push the 4th and 5th plate of food away and he obviously doesn't have the self discipline to do that.

I admire Tomlin for taking someone with Casey's clout on the team and making an example of him.

2. At this stage of the game, it's a little silly to assume that Mendenhall's problem from the 2 yard line...in Training Camp...will be a lingering problem. Mendenhall, like many rookie RB's before him, will figure it out. Besides, I don't care who gets into the end zone, whether it be Parker, Mendenhall, or Russell. Just get it in.

3. Look at every training camp and you will find the same injurues. We know more about our own because we follow the Steelers. Ben has been reported to be fine. Troy is chronically hurt, so that is just normal for him.

4. This is what we do know, Marvel Smith will be our LT, Colon will be at RT, Simmons will be at RG, so the only positions truly open on the OL are at C and at LG...and we all already knew that. The players being shuffled in and out of those positions is good because we need to find out who can fill those roles.

I don't have a problem with players learning multiple roles. New England does it on a regular basis and that is why their depth is so good. One guy goes down, and they have players that no-one has ever heard of, step in and play very well. The Steelers need to have that kind of versatility as well.

5. It's way too early to panic on where we will be on opening day, but I do believe that we will be a better team this year than last year...although the record may not show it because of the difficult schedule. Who knows, maybe some of the tough teams, due to injury or bad breaks, won't be tough by the time we get to them and the schedule plays out much different.

The only thing the Steelers can do is prepare themselves and....as Bill used to say..."Just Play".
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
Steeldude
Living Legend

the only issues that really bother me are the O-line and the lack of depth on the D-line.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

If they played tidley winks, mabey we'd see more thumb sprains...

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
Hapa
Banned

Member Number: 8230

Why do you say we have a first round pick that can't hammer it into the end zone from 2 yards out? I think he can.
Hapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

Do you remember Bettis's admission a while back about holding off on reporting an injury until a little ways into camp?

I think we may be seeing some of a few things:

1. people that have been holding off on disclosing an injury until they're in camp.

2. People who didn't work so much in the offseason and put in a burst of work right before camp and who are a little strained as a result of it. Maybe not stretching well before camp and possibly compensating for sore muscles with a different gait etc.

I don't think troy is either of these but the others perhaps.
Steely McSmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
If they played tidley winks, mabey we'd see more thumb sprains...

on that note i think i'll just go read this kirwan article again.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=26325