Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Training Camp

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #51
Steelerfreak58
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8080
Default Re: Camp Notes 8/6/2008 - Specifically about Anthony Smith

You can't fix stupid.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #52
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfreak58 View Post
You can't fix stupid.
True dat!

I still can't help but think back to Troy's development. He made awful mistakes in his first year (including some cheap shots), and a lot of people thought he was going to be a bust. But he spent time learning and watching film, and we all know how that turned out. I was (and still am) hoping that he can get his head wrapped around his role and become a complete football player.

But the evidence so far just ain't good...
Old 08-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #53
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by redst3 View Post
As I have said once or twice when talking about this (dead horse alert), give me a good Mike Wagner text book tackle any day over a big hit. We all like it, and it makes a fine spectacle but the text book tackle gets the job done.
Wagner is one of my all time favorite, and IMO underated Steeler.

For those who didn't get to see him much, the man was a mechanic. He just knew how to play that position.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #54
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Not an apologist, but I do have a problem when people throw a guy under the bus for one bad game and continue to do so eight months after the fact. He pulled the same stuff in camp last year, but he was applauded for it, in fact, a few were calling Ced Wilson a crybaby and calling for him to be cut for bitching about the same thing last year that Smith just pulled on Hines. He knocks Chad Johnson's teeth out in a game towards the end of October, and he's applauded for it. Fact was and remains that he's been on most peoples' shit list since the aftermath of the Patriots game. If he truly doesn't have it in the brains department, and truly cannot mentally grasp the intricacies of playing the position, I have full confidence that the coaching staff will show him the door sooner rather than later.
That game happens to be the big exclemation mark on his career thus far. We don't have much to base stuff on with him, a few games his rookie year with some big hits, a few picks (and showboating that wasn't well received from his coaches), and a few big wiffs on tackles. Then last year he comes out and decks some wideouts (mainly Reid, does he not like Ried?) and is aplauded for it. Partly because just about everyone's job was up for grabs last year.

Also last year he was burned on more than just the pass from Brady to Moss. He was out of position many times last year, so bad that he got himself replaced by Carter!

He follows that up with big-time contact in non-contact drills. I'm not talking about a light shove or getting tangled up...but deliberate hard blows. I have a feeling it was made known before practices started that non-contact means no-contact.

Then he waves off LeBeau after smashing Ried. Then he lays the wood on Hines, in a total cheap shot since Ward was headed back to the WR line.

So far, Smith was banned from practice after he first layed out Ried...he might not be back the rest of TC for his hit on Ward.

So no, it's not everyone on his case due to one game. We are on his case because the guy is effin retarded and shows no respect whatsoever for his coaches and teammates.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #55
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,811 Times in 4,474 Posts

yeah, after reading vrabinec's first hand account (Wednesday's practice notes) i have to retract my "just boys being boys" take.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #56
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
True dat!

I still can't help but think back to Troy's development. He made awful mistakes in his first year (including some cheap shots), and a lot of people thought he was going to be a bust. But he spent time learning and watching film, and we all know how that turned out. I was (and still am) hoping that he can get his head wrapped around his role and become a complete football player.

The difference is that Troy has a few brain cells and this kid obviously doesn't.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #57
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

OK, I'll buck the trends and stick up for this guy, granted he's a clown......So Far.... and he doesn't deserve for me to stick up for him, but HOPEFULLY this will finally sink in. At least its still preseason

You cannot teach someone to hit like a truck...... Theres just not a lot of humans capable of deliving a hit like him. This kid is Steve Atwater, Ronnie Lott, and John Lynch rolled into one when it comes to laying the wood.... if he can just wise up.

I'm still holding out hope.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #58
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572
Exclamation Re: Camp Notes 8/6/2008 - Specifically about Anthony Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
OK, I'll buck the trends and stick up for this guy, granted he's a clown......So Far.... and he doesn't deserve for me to stick up for him, but HOPEFULLY this will finally sink in. At least its still preseason

You cannot teach someone to hit like a truck...... Theres few players capable of deliving a hit like him. This kid is Steve Atwater, Ronnie Lott, and John Lynch rolled into one when it comes to laying the wood.... if he can just wise up.

rb he's a moron...I hope Hines lays him the wood like Hines can do in a "non contact drill 7 on 7 ".....Don't get mad ; get even has always worked awesome for me!...Smith better watch out!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #59
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post

You cannot teach someone to hit like a truck...... Theres just not a lot of humans capable of deliving a hit like him. This kid is Steve Atwater, Ronnie Lott, and John Lynch rolled into one when it comes to laying the wood.... if he can just wise up.

I think all of us are holding out hope, but our patience is wearing thin. He has to stop trucking his teammates, especially in non-contact drills. God forbid he injures Ward today and we lose him for a few weeks or worse, the entire season.

What if the next guy he trucks is Big Ben and we lose Ben for the season? Batch can carry us through a few games, but not a season.

There is a reason coaches hold no and limited contact practices, to keep their own guys from getting hurt when it isn't a game.

Last year Tomlin & Co. let that shit fly, therefore us as fans loved it. But this year the coaches want non-contact in the non-contact drills, and Smith isn't listening to his coaches and waving them off. That's a massive sign of "Me Me Me" and disrespect to the coaching staff, and your teammates.

If he keeps that up, I will have absolutley no hope for him, except the hope that he gets cut.

He hasn't shown anything yet, except a few highlight hits and a lot of blown coverages, that would allow him to act this way. Not even vets like Farrior wave off Dick LeBeau. If Farrior hasn't earned that right, then not a damn person on this entire team has earned that right.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #60
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
True dat!

Unfortunately, sad but true.

He needs to stop acting like a bad-assed punk and become a student of the Steelers way or I'm afraid Mr. Smith is going to find himself on the outside looking in. Save the intensity and brutal hits for the opponents, not your own teammates, Anthony.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote