Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Obama Speech could have been delivered by Reagan or Bush

Check out this speech.

He sounds like George Bush or Reagan in policy.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle4392846.ece

I guess the old adage still stands....

Regardless of the candidate, conservatism wins elections.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Obama Speech could have been delivered by Reagan or Bush

Haven't I been saying this over and over again? If this guy keeps shifting his policy from far left to the center, he will eventually become a completely different candidate. Since Reagan was able to be a conservative while still paying homage to FDR, why can't Obama be a liberal who tries to become Reagan while hoping to later channel FDR? At least that's the "thinking"...

Obama is something new. It's beyond pandering. He's literally a doppelganger...more deceit and obfuscation are NOT what this country needs right now.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,930 Times in 3,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
more deceit and obfuscation are NOT what this country needs right now.
thats easy to SAY, but what exactly does this country need right now? and what one man is capable of delivering it?

i can say this much. what it doesnt need is a war in iraq costing a billion dollars a day for the next hunnerd years, with the peanut butter and jelly promises of "no new taxes", and the diatribe of "evil libs want to raise taxes".

someones gotta pay (as oil companies reap record profits).
Old 08-13-2008, 02:08 AM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
thats easy to SAY, but what exactly does this country need right now? and what one man is capable of delivering it?

i can say this much. what it doesnt need is a war in iraq costing a billion dollars a day for the next hunnerd years, with the peanut butter and jelly promises of "no new taxes", and the diatribe of "evil libs want to raise taxes".

someones gotta pay (as oil companies reap record profits).
Tony...

for 20 plus years, oil companies have been UNDERcharging America for gas because the was what the market bore... It was WAY under the inflation.

Yet, for twenty years we said or did nothing... now, for about 4 years, they are priced above inflation... and they are all of a sudden evil? I know you didn't say that, but that is the what is being printed of them in the papers.

If it was right for them to stay way under inflation because that is what the market demanded, isn't ir right for them to charge over inflation because the market demands it?

Otherwise, shouldn't we supplement the oil companies for the prices when they fall below inflation?

Today, my choice has become easier, because McCain did not hedge at ALL when it came to Iraq, nor to Georgia. I really think that Obama is out of his league at this point.

had it been the mid 90's, that may not be the case. But now, well, separation is starting to happen (at least for me)
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

You're missing the point. This guy can't stand firm on ANYTHING. I thought Hillary was bad about saying/doing anything and everything necessary to get elected, but ripping off Reagan? It's like Hunter Thompson suddenly publicly exclaiming that he was always all wrong about Nixon.

It's just too much. Dude needs to show some kind of restraint. He's currently getting his clock cleaned via Georgia/Russia right now, too, with all this UN bullshit...
Old 08-13-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
You're missing the point. This guy can't stand firm on ANYTHING. I thought Hillary was bad about saying/doing anything and everything necessary to get elected, but ripping off Reagan? It's like Hunter Thompson suddenly publicly exclaiming that he was always all wrong about Nixon.

It's just too much. Dude needs to show some kind of restraint. He's currently getting his clock cleaned via Georgia/Russia right now, too, with all this UN bullshit...
i thought your point was that america does NOT need something way worse than pandering i.e. "deceit and obamafuscation" (sure beats plague and pestilence). just to make sure i get your point i ask, is what we need NOW a stright arrow who maintains the status quo?

i gotta lot more important things to worry and about and think there are more pressing issues than some man ripping off a reagan speech... or flags on an airplane's tail fin.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Tony...

Otherwise, shouldn't we supplement the oil companies for the prices when they fall below inflation?
absurd and rediculous.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080812/...ons_income_tax

Quote:
Most companies in US avoid federal income taxes

WASHINGTON - Two-thirds of U.S. corporations paid no federal income taxes between 1998 and 2005, according to a new report from Congress.

The study by the Government Accountability Office, expected to be released Tuesday, said about 68 percent of foreign companies doing business in the U.S. avoided corporate taxes over the same period.

Collectively, the companies reported trillions of dollars in sales, according to GAO's estimate.

"It's shameful that so many corporations make big profits and pay nothing to support our country," said Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., who asked for the GAO study with Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich.
america enjoyed cheaper gas prices because we buy in bulk and get a discount. a microcosm of this is wal-mart, who is able to offer "everyday low prices" and $4 prescriptions.

i get capitalism. and i get that it is EVERY americans right to come up with an idea, work hard, become a billionaire and live like a king. in some countries, one has to be born into royalty. in america we have the opportunity to create it.

but with those rights and opportunities should come a price.

the military protects those rights. the labor force carries them out. yet many members of the military and workforce rely on welfare (and are looked down upon for doing so) to suppliment their checks as they pay 33% in taxes.

i will never shed a tear for all the money oil tycoons lost in the prior 20 years ( ) because of "UNDER"inflated gas prices.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Where does a guy like this draw the line? Lying? Cheating? There's just no way of knowing...his character is in question, and he can't stand still long enough for anyone to get some kind of picture as to who HE REALLY IS.

The issue isn't that he's ripping off speech fodder, the issue is that he's a far-left liberal ripping planks from a conservative Republican platform from 30 years ago.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
tony hipchest

i would say he draws the line right before lying and cheating. then again, like you said, (we as americicans) i dont really know the man, especially on a personal basis.

i share some of the same skepticism ands concerns. i know the "change" that america needs wont happen with 1 man in 4 years. we have 50 year old problems that will need 50 year solutions.

im not even relying on or expecting a social security check when i hit 65. ive seen a doctor twice in the past 20 years. i couldnt afford college w/o welfare in the form of 2 scholorships and govt. pell grants. my single mother raised 3 of us and we used food stamps to suppliment income until she got a second job. i didnt have cable until i was 16 and that was because we stole it.

so when i hear rich people bitch and whine about paying taxes, when loopholes abound to insure they keep padding their pockets, i take it a bit personal.

but you know what, i am a success story and an example of where the system got it right. i am able to earn nice wages, pay my taxes and contribute to the hopefully continued growth of this country.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #10
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
but you know what, i am a success story and an example of where the system got it right. i am able to earn nice wages, pay my taxes and contribute to the hopefully continued growth of this country.
And America thanks you for it Tony. Even though we don't always agree on policies or political views, its great to know we aren't alone out there busting our butts and paying our fair share.