Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-22-2005, 01:20 AM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Exclamation Running game not up to par

Good article here.. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05326/610485.stm

Basically though, we still run the ball more than most everyone, and we still average a good chunk of yardage per game, but we're down by about 20 yds per game or so average from last year.. thats 2 crucial first downs that we may be missing out on.

So whats the deal in ur opinion? Ben has one of the highest QB ratings in the league, but not stellar numbers in terms of yardage, and thats just fine ...but is it the team trying to adjust to different styles between parker and jerome ? Injuries to the backs not letting them get into rythmn, ?

Thoughts....
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:44 AM   #2
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508
Default Re: Running game not up to par

i think it's cause willie isn't the back for us. if ben would've been healthy all season and we had a young power back we'd have the same amount of yards a game as last year. that's why i hope we draft lendale white cause we gonna need a back like him to compete next year
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:53 AM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

The thing that amazes me, and actually scares me is.. no matter how bad or well willie is doing..whenever Jerome comes in, he's always igniting a spark, getting positive yards, firing up the offense and the crowd. If we dont have a healthy young power back when Jerome retires, we're gonna be up shit creek w/ out a paddle.

Willie is awesome and has done well, and runs harder than you think he can for a guy his size..but its plain to see, we're gonna either need to do a dance to the healthy gods next year for Duce, or draft a young stud.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:01 AM   #4
Koopa
Living Legend

i like willie a lot and hope he can do what he did at the beginning of the season but now teams are actually game planning to stop him and it's working. i just want a young power back, i've given up on duce, and if willie doesn't prove he can carry the load against good teams then i'll probably give up on him too. hopefully willie will be up for monday night and run all over the colts so i can lose some of my doubt on him
Old 11-22-2005, 02:15 AM   #5
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Willie is still learning how to follow and wait for his blockers and for the lanes to open it up..no substitute for that but experience. Duce re aggravted a knee injury against the browns, so there's no telling how long he'll be out again..

Yep, RB will be a big need next year...
Old 11-22-2005, 02:25 AM   #6
Koopa
Living Legend

well hopefully he has learned what he has to cause we gonna need him at his best monday........and what's new with duce you can predict what he's gonna hurt next, when he comes back he'll probably miss another 3 weeks with a broken nail
Old 11-22-2005, 03:31 AM   #7
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Yeah I wish Duce were healthy for this game as well.. we could use all 3 of them, but such is life. 14 million dollar contract and we havent gotten a full years work out of him yet.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:19 AM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

Sounds like I was not the only one who was not thrilled that we watched Air Tommy Gun on Sunday and the play calling that ended up with a 4th and 1 sack in the 3rd Q.

Here is a Tribune-Review story:

"Steelers running back Jerome Bettis was deafeningly silent following Sunday's overtime loss to the Ravens, a departure from a player who almost never turns down an interview request.

After carrying the ball just two times for no yards, Bettis declined at least three interview requests. When asked if he would talk, Bettis quickly made his way out of the locker room and said, "No ... not talking today." The 13-year veteran did not touch the ball in the second half or overtime, including back-to-back plays in the third quarter when the Steelers faced third-and-1 and fourth-and-1 late in the third quarter at the Ravens 35. On third down, wideout Antwaan Randle El , lined up at quarterback, ran an option with starter Willie Parker , who was stopped for no gain. Then, on fourth down, quarterback Tommy Maddox was thrown for a sack and the Steelers lost the ball on downs. Against the Ravens, who stacked the line of scrimmage with their 4-4 defensive set, the Steelers ran the ball 25 times for 70 yards and passed it 38 times for 246 yards."

Then there is this quote from Willie Parker: "We had fun throwing it, but we came up short, so it kind of hurts right now. All that stuff is relevant if you get the win. We just have to go out next time and get the win."

I fail to see what was "fun" about a team getting away from what it has done best and having its QB repeatedly sacked and fumbling. This was the same problem that occurred in the Jax game when they refused to use Bettis in the second half and, for those of us with long memories, the pass happy game in the snow against the Jets in 2003 that I believe was a major factor in Cowher deciding he needed to recommit to the running game in the 2003-2004 offseason.

I don't care if the other team is in a goal line defense, if you cannot get 1 yard on 2 carries your running game is terrible. Maddox is a mess, but the play calling in both of his starts this year has definitely not helped the situation.

If you do not believe you can get short yardage with Willie Parker then don't make him your starting running back; this is beginning to resemble the Amos Zeroue disaster.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:07 AM   #9
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

when ben is in the game a team cannot stack their line with 7 to 8 defenders to stop the run......and that is what is happening when Tommy whats his name is playing.
They know he cant pass the ball so they play the run all day.
That is why we threw so much against the ravens.
Unfortuently 2 things happend....Tommy cant pass the ball. and our offensive line turned into pussies......Although they might have been letting all thoes defenders through so they could sac tommy and take him out of the game.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:31 AM   #10
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Yup, the game plan was to throw and beat the 10 guys in the box. It almost worked, too.

As for the running game, there are several reasons why we are down from last year. The line is just not quite as solid as it was last year. Everybody game plans us to stop the run. I think most importantly we have had almost half our games now without Ben, and that changes the complexion of the whole team. Statistically, we are going to drop in probably every category offensively a little bit more every week that he's not in there.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote