Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-19-2008, 03:22 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Rough patch for Batch

Rough patch for Batch
By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff
Tuesday, August 19, 2008 12:31 AM EDT

PITTSBURGH — Charlie Batch knows his future with the Steelers is in limbo.

Due to a broken collarbone suffered in an Aug. 8 preseason game, three things can happen to the veteran quarterback.

One: He can be placed on the season-ending injured reserve list.

Two: He can agree to an injury settlement and be cut.

Three: The Steelers can keep him on the active roster.

“Looking at those scenarios, anything is possible,” said Batch, who had a metal plate screwed to his collarbone during an operation last week.

“But there’s time before they have to make that decision. So those questions will be answered in a couple of weeks.”

Like all NFL teams, the Steelers must set their 53-man opening-day rosters by Aug. 30.

For now, Batch just hopes to heal as quickly as possible. Today, he begins the rehabilitation process. Typically, it takes four-to-six weeks for a broken collarbone to heal. But when a 33-year-old quarterback fractures the collarbone on his right throwing side, well, the recovery period could be longer.

“We’ll just have to wait until the bone heals,” said Batch, whose right arm is in sling. “I’m a quarterback, and I have to be able to throw the ball and get that flexibility back.”

Currently, the Steelers have five quarterbacks: starter Ben Roethlisberger; backup Byron Leftwich, who was signed after Batch was hurt; rookie Dennis Dixon, a fifth-round draft pick; Mike Potts, an undrafted rookie free agent; and Batch.

The Steelers will probably keep three: Roethlisberger, Leftwich and Dixon, who would likely be snatched away if placed on the practice squad.

But would the Steelers dare waste a roster spot for a few weeks early in the season as Batch heals? Probably not.

“Sure, there’s a threat,” Batch said, aware that Leftwich’s arrival could end his stay in Pittsburgh. “Any time you’re hurt, it’s a threat because another guy is taking your place. “I’m hurt, and they found a man to replace me. All I can do is worry about getting healthy.

Batch, a former WPIAL star who played at Steel Valley High School, prefers not to go on the IR. But for him, that would be better than getting cut.

“We’ll make that decision when we have to,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “There are a myriad of things that could happen between now and when we have to make that final roster cut. So it’s a pure waste of time to speculate.

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/...3740060135.txt
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:50 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,321 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Rough patch for Batch

I hate to say it but I think Batches days in black and gold are done they will not hold a roster spot for him he has been a good player for us but his injury and age and the signing of Leftwich I would say he is done.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I'd have to say out of the three choices, #'s 1 and 2 are most likely, with #1 being the most likely scenario.

One: He can be placed on the season-ending injured reserve list.

Two: He can agree to an injury settlement and be cut.

Fractures of the collarbone are nasty injuries and in this case particularly with Charlie being a QB. It's great to see that Charlie obviously still wants to play but sadly he realizes that if he can't get that shoulder mobility back to where it was, he knows the Steelers need to do what they must.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

The only thing that concerns me in this entire scenerio is that we will probably be releasing a QB...either Batch or Leftwich...around the 5th game of the season that has an indepth knowledge of our playbook. Someone who likes to look for ways to bend the rules...lets say New England....might sign them for a week to pick their brain. Not that it hasn't happened before.......

I bet if it is Batch that is let go, he doesn't sell his soul to the first team that comes after him though.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

I think Batch still has a long future in football. He's a savvy guy who has the makings of an excellent coach, as a position coach with the possibility of being a head coach. The guy knows his game.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

I'm willing to bet Batch would be happy to go on IR rather than take his chances on the open market. That way, he's getting paid way more than he would otherwise, plus it gives us an insurance policy for the next season.

Leftwich is basically a one-year rental only. If he does anything other than flat-out suck, he'll want to compete for a starting job somewhere else, or at the very least he'll leave for some real money. If he does completely suck, we'll probably cut him anyway.

That would leave Dixon as the only backup QB with any experience with the Steelers. Hopefully he's ready by then, but with rookies at quarterback, you might as well flip a coin. But if we have the option to bring Batch back for another year, that gives us a bit of a safety net, eh?
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i don't see us getting rid of dixon b/c he will be snatched up... i think batch will go on ir so he won't be cut... but if he does get cut look at the ravens looking at him

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

I admit when we chose DIxon I was befuddled. I actually thought he would be used as a receiver or return man. Now that pick looks pretty damn smart. Charlie was a great backup for us and earned every single penny, but due to his age and injury I don't see him back with the Steelers. I read a few of the Leftwich bashings and disagree with them. IMO he would be one of the best 2nd stringers in the NFL.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #9
BurghZ0n3
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7054

Just keep Ben healthy....protect him in the pocket....no need the hassle for the second string....
Old 08-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #10
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Leftwhich is only a one year backup. He is only 28 and will want to search for a team to contend for the starting spot. This is what makes this such a hard call.