Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
Brandon
Water Boy

Member Number: 9009
Default Max Starks.

I have a question on this guy, why is he making over 6 million dollars this year? And if I'm correct that makes him the second highest paid player on this team this season.

So If I have those two facts down, then why are we paying him this kind of money when:

A. He isn't good enough to beat out Willie Rolon for the RT position.

B. He consistently gets beaten badly by speed rushers in passing situations

C. This money could have went to Faneca or another player or two who are better than him and can help shore up the offensive/defensive line.

Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
STEELtownHAVOX
Starter

Member Number: 6464
Default Re: Max Starks.

He does USO tours, I thank him for that. Got a picture, and a signature from in in 06 after the Superbowl.
STEELtownHAVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
I have a question on this guy, why is he making over 6 million dollars this year? And if I'm correct that makes him the second highest paid player on this team this season.

So If I have those two facts down, then why are we paying him this kind of money when:

C. This money could have went to Faneca or another player or two who are better than him and can help shore up the offensive/defensive line.

From what I have read, the Steelers probably thought someone else was going to sign Max to an offer sheet and the Steelers were going to decide whether to match it or let Max walk. Well, that didn't happen, but the Steelers still needed an experienced player who could play LT in case Smith's back injury flared up again.

The problem with Max's money, which is just for one season, is that it wasn't going to bring in someone to fill a role where the team is weakest...on the DL'ine. All the top D'lineman received way more than they were worth and Max's money wouldn't have lured any of the top tier lineman to come to Pittsburgh....and I'm not sure I would have given Shawn Rogers, Justin Smith, or Tommy Kelly that kind of money anyway.

It's a one year insurance policy.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

Quote:

Who's that?

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #5
srk173
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6010

Also next year marvel smith is a free agent. I am sure the don't want to loose two tackles n back to back ears. It also allows the steelers to use both to get the lowest contract out of whoever they sign long term.
srk173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by srk173 View Post
Also next year marvel smith is a free agent. I am sure the don't want to loose two tackles n back to back ears. It also allows the steelers to use both to get the lowest contract out of whoever they sign long term.
yeah, I'm hoping at least one of them stays

would be great if it was starks cause he is younger, but has he shown he can start? maybe at LT?
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
Brandon
Water Boy

Member Number: 9009

Quote:
Originally Posted by srk173 View Post
I believe Smiths agent said something to the effect of "We'll look elsewhere" in regards to them and the Steelers not getting a deal done by the start of the season.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #8
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
I believe Smiths agent said something to the effect of "We'll look elsewhere" in regards to them and the Steelers not getting a deal done by the start of the season.
Well, we know he has to put forth his best effort this season. He's been a good Steeler, but I wouldn't sign him to big dollars at this stage of his career.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
slashsteel

Member Number:

Quote:

Actually Smith and his agent have been quiet unlike Faneca was on his way out.

Smith might very well be signed to a extension before he becomes a free agent.............
Old 08-21-2008, 12:16 AM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashsteel View Post
Actually Smith and his agent have been quiet unlike Faneca was on his way out.

Smith might very well be signed to a extension before he becomes a free agent.............
Smith and Faneca are represented by the same agent group and there has been no talks of extending Smith. Kind of sounds like they want to test the market next season.

Whether he will do it beyond 2008 is in serious doubt. The Steelers have not yet talked to Ken Zuckerman, Smith's agent. If that name is not familiar, it should be known that he is a partner of Faneca's agent, Rick Smith, in Priority Sports & Entertainment. These guys represent some of the top offensive linemen in the NFL, and they know how to get value for their clients, especially as unrestricted free agents.

Wouldn't Marvel be fun going to free agency with?" Zuckerman wondered

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08164/889330-66.stm

I honestly think they will let Starks walk and try too late to extend Smith. So, with $13 million off the books, what good LT's will be around in free agency next season, because all we may have is Hills and Essex???
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote