Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 08-21-2008, 04:16 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Rookie receiver Sweed tries too hard to please

Rookie receiver Sweed tries too hard to please
Thursday, August 21, 2008
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

There is little reason to be exuberant, even wildly optimistic, that rookie wide receiver Limas Sweed leads the Steelers with five receptions after two preseason games. Not yet, anyway. It means about as much as tight end Heath Miller not having a catch after two games.

What is more significant about Sweed, a No. 2 draft choice from Texas, is that he already has dropped a couple passes and is averaging a mere 6.4 yards per catch -- numbers that pale to the gaudy statistics he compiled in college.

It is significant because everybody thinks the 6-foot-4, 220-pound receiver is trying too hard to make an impression. His teammates think that, the coaches think that, even Sweed thinks that.

"He's trying to do the 'wow' every play," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "Just give me 6 yards and catch it. Make the plays that are there, not the wow-play every time."

"I think he's pressing so hard to impress everybody," said receiver Hines Ward. "When you start pressing, you start making more mistakes, the mistakes that are routine. Then they end up becoming a problem."

"I wouldn't say impress everybody," Sweed said. "I'm not in the business of impressing people. I'm just a person who's going to keep striving till I get it right. I'm going to be extra hard on myself."

Sweed certainly has the size, speed and ability to be impressive. After all, he caught 20 career touchdowns with the Longhorns, second most in school history behind Roy Williams. That's one of the reasons the Steelers couldn't pass him up with the 53rd overall pick in the NFL draft, even though wide receiver wasn't a position of need.

But his teammates believe he is trying too hard because he wants to make an immediate impact, something Ward, an 11-year veteran and a four-time Pro Bowler, said is difficult to do anymore in the NFL.

"The Randy Moss days are over," Ward said. "No one is coming in and scoring 18 touchdowns. We don't have the offense to do that, anyway. A lot of guys in college, they haven't seen the complex coverages they see in this league.

"You can be a great talent in college, but this game is a whole different aspect. There are linebackers covering you, defensive ends dropping out, safeties constantly rolling. You got to have that intelligence to be able to learn and do less thinking as you're route-running."

Sweed, of course, doesn't have to be an immediate contributor, nor is he expected to be right away. He will begin the season as the No. 4 receiver, behind Ward, Santonio Holmes and Nate Washington.

But he will be the backup to Holmes at split end -- or X receiver -- a big-play position that features more deep routes. Sweed did not finish practice yesterday because of a problem with his knee, but coach Mike Tomlin said he is fine and will practice today.

"He has a lot of pride and he puts too much pressure on himself," Arians said. "If he learns to relax and just play ... he knows the play, but he talks himself out of it, so there's always doubt. When he knows it, he plays real fast and you see the skill. When he's not sure, he looks like a rookie."

That's why Holmes, who was a No. 1 pick, is trying not to overload Sweed with even more advice.

Holmes was the first receiver drafted in 2006 and got off to a modest start as a rookie, catching 16 passes for 265 yards with no touchdowns in his first seven games. Since then, he has 85 catches, 10 touchdowns and averages 17.7 yards per catch in 25 games.

"I try to stay away from prepping him so much," Holmes said. "You got to learn a lot on the fly. The more things he goes through, the more he's starting to open up now and come talk to me about different things he's seeing and how he's adjusting."

Ward said Sweed is his own worst critic. The best one-word advice he can offer: Relax.

"He gets so down that he ends up frustrating himself," Ward said. "It's understandable. We've all been through it."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08234/905914-66.stm
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:51 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,722 Times in 1,573 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Rookie receiver Sweed tries too hard to please

I think Sweed will be ok he is trying to be a big hit right out of the gate he needs to know that he is a rookie and it will take time to get where he needs to be.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:36 AM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Sounds like over-enthusiasm from a rookie. I'll take it!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

WIth an experienced vet and team leader Hines in his corner, Sweed will be just fine. It's great to see that both Santo and Hines have stepped up to the plate to try and keep this budding star focused!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Sweed will be a star in this league. He just has rookie jitters. I loved this draft pick.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #6
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

It's good to know that Sweed WANTS to work and make an impact on this team. Patience, young Lima Bean.

This is good. If your rookie doesn't have a fire under his belly to contribute, then there's a problem. As long as he doesn't pull any hamstrings like Timmons did, he'll be fine. Timmons had this same issue last year, tried to do too much and injured himself.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

Im so excited for the steelers this season, i can see holmes catching a td on offense and i can see ike taylor returning a int for a td also. woo hoo!!
Old 08-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
WIth an experienced vet and team leader Hines in his corner, Sweed will be just fine. It's great to see that both Santo and Hines have stepped up to the plate to try and keep this budding star focused!
How long before Hines becomes receiver/assistant coach by title? Knowing Hines is in the locker room means we can be sure the kiddies in the sandbox all play fair.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #9
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Both Sweed and Mendenhall need to realize that nobody expects them to have a pro bowl season in year one. Or even year two......although that would be nice.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
Blitzburgh_Fever
Starter

Member Number: 7228

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
Both Sweed and Mendenhall need to realize that nobody expects them to have a pro bowl season in year one. Or even year two......although that would be nice.
Year three though...!

I kid I kid...but man, if Limas stepped up next year akin to Holmes of '07...GAH

I love this pick and I love this kid, he seems really enthused. It's scary to think of Dixon, Sweed, and Mendenhall in five years. A Heismann trophy winner had he been healthy, throwing to the best WR that year, and handing off to the second most RB in the draft. Mmm, I think we're gonna be just fine.
Blitzburgh_Fever is offline   Reply With Quote