Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 11:55 PM   #1
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,647
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 197
Thanked 1,318 Times in 659 Posts
Default Some possible Free Agent O linemen for next season

Here is a list of a some 2009 free agents next year in the event that we lose both Smith and Starks to free agency.

Pos Player Name FA Status Previous Team Current Team
OG P.J. Alexander UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent
OG D'Anthony Batiste UFA Atlanta Falcons Free Agent
OT Jordan Black UFA Houston Texans Free Agent
OT Mike Brisiel ERFA Houston Texans Free Agent
OL Rashad Butler RFA Houston Texans Free Agent
OT Vernon Carey UFA Miami Dolphins Free Agent
OG Cooper Carlisle UFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent
OG Kirk Chambers UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent
OT Richard Collier RFA Jacksonville Jaguars Free Agent
OT Marc Colombo UFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent
OT Willie Colon RFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
OG Harvey Dahl UFA Atlanta Falcons Free Agent
OT Anthony Davis UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent
OL Frank Davis RFA Detroit Lions Free Agent
OL Damane Duckett UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent
OT Patrick Estes UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent
OL Jahri Evans RFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent
OT Dan Federkeil RFA Indianapolis Colts Free Agent
OG Kynan Forney UFA Atlanta Falcons Free Agent
OT George Foster UFA Detroit Lions Free Agent
OL Renardo Foster UFA Atlanta Falcons Free Agent
OG Mike Goff UFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent
OG Chris Gray UFA Seattle Seahawks Free Agent
OG Eric Heitmann UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent
OG Russ Hochstein UFA New England Patriots Free Agent
OG Richie Incognito UFA St. Louis Rams Free Agent
OT Adrian Jones UFA Kansas City Chiefs Free Agent
OG Pete Kendall UFA Washington Redskins Free Agent
OG Matt Lehr UFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent
OG Seth McKinney UFA Cleveland Browns Free Agent
OL Will Montgomery RFA New York Jets Free Agent
OL Chris Morris RFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent
OT Chad Mustard UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent
OT Frank Omiyale UFA Carolina Panthers Free Agent
OT Mike Otto RFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent
OL Tony Palmer RFA Green Bay Packers Free Agent
OT Jeremy Parquet RFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
OT Terrance Pennington UFA Atlanta Falcons Free Agent
OL Duke Preston UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent
OT Jon Runyan UFA Philadelphia Eagles Free Agent
OG Blaine Saipaia UFA Detroit Lions Free Agent
OL Jonathan Scott RFA Detroit Lions Free Agent
OG Mark Setterstrom RFA St. Louis Rams Free Agent
OT Marvel Smith UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
OT John St. Clair UFA Chicago Bears Free Agent
OT Jon Stinchcomb UFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent
OL Zach Strief RFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent
OT Mark Tauscher UFA Green Bay Packers Free Agent
OT Tra Thomas UFA Philadelphia Eagles Free Agent
OT Seth Wand UFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent
OG Fred Weary UFA Houston Texans Free Agent
OT Chris L. White UFA Houston Texans Free Agent
OT Ray Willis UFA Seattle Seahawks Free Agent
OG Tony Wragge RFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent
OG Scott Young UFA Philadelphia Eagles Free Age

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/featu...tion=OL&y=2009

Of them the best OT's that I think can play LT are Marc Colombo, Tra Thomas and .....not many.

Anybody got a suggestion who should protect Ben's blind side next season??? Best I can think is it will be a rookie if its not gonna be Smith or Columbo.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:31 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter
 
stlrtruck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 8,783
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2398
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Some possible Free Agent O linemen for next season

thanks for the list....I'll have to review it later and get back to you my suggestions IF Smith were to leave.
__________________

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
CantStop85
Living Legend
 
CantStop85's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
Posts: 3,140
Gender: Male
Member Number: 486
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: Some possible Free Agent O linemen for next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Here is a list of a some 2009 free agents next year in the event that we lose both Smith and Starks to free agency.

Pos Player Name FA Status Previous Team Current Team
OG P.J. Alexander UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent
OG D'Anthony Batiste UFA Atlanta Falcons Free Agent
OT Jordan Black UFA Houston Texans Free Agent
OT Mike Brisiel ERFA Houston Texans Free Agent
OL Rashad Butler RFA Houston Texans Free Agent
OT Vernon Carey UFA Miami Dolphins Free Agent
OG Cooper Carlisle UFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent
OG Kirk Chambers UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent
OT Richard Collier RFA Jacksonville Jaguars Free Agent
OT Marc Colombo UFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent
OT Willie Colon RFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
OG Harvey Dahl UFA Atlanta Falcons Free Agent
OT Anthony Davis UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent
OL Frank Davis RFA Detroit Lions Free Agent
OL Damane Duckett UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent
OT Patrick Estes UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent
OL Jahri Evans RFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent
OT Dan Federkeil RFA Indianapolis Colts Free Agent
OG Kynan Forney UFA Atlanta Falcons Free Agent
OT George Foster UFA Detroit Lions Free Agent
OL Renardo Foster UFA Atlanta Falcons Free Agent
OG Mike Goff UFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent
OG Chris Gray UFA Seattle Seahawks Free Agent
OG Eric Heitmann UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent
OG Russ Hochstein UFA New England Patriots Free Agent
OG Richie Incognito UFA St. Louis Rams Free Agent
OT Adrian Jones UFA Kansas City Chiefs Free Agent
OG Pete Kendall UFA Washington Redskins Free Agent
OG Matt Lehr UFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent
OG Seth McKinney UFA Cleveland Browns Free Agent
OL Will Montgomery RFA New York Jets Free Agent
OL Chris Morris RFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent
OT Chad Mustard UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent
OT Frank Omiyale UFA Carolina Panthers Free Agent
OT Mike Otto RFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent
OL Tony Palmer RFA Green Bay Packers Free Agent
OT Jeremy Parquet RFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
OT Terrance Pennington UFA Atlanta Falcons Free Agent
OL Duke Preston UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent
OT Jon Runyan UFA Philadelphia Eagles Free Agent
OG Blaine Saipaia UFA Detroit Lions Free Agent
OL Jonathan Scott RFA Detroit Lions Free Agent
OG Mark Setterstrom RFA St. Louis Rams Free Agent
OT Marvel Smith UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
OT John St. Clair UFA Chicago Bears Free Agent
OT Jon Stinchcomb UFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent
OL Zach Strief RFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent
OT Mark Tauscher UFA Green Bay Packers Free Agent
OT Tra Thomas UFA Philadelphia Eagles Free Agent
OT Seth Wand UFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent
OG Fred Weary UFA Houston Texans Free Agent
OT Chris L. White UFA Houston Texans Free Agent
OT Ray Willis UFA Seattle Seahawks Free Agent
OG Tony Wragge RFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent
OG Scott Young UFA Philadelphia Eagles Free Age

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/featu...tion=OL&y=2009

Of them the best OT's that I think can play LT are Marc Colombo, Tra Thomas and .....not many.

Anybody got a suggestion who should protect Ben's blind side next season??? Best I can think is it will be a rookie if its not gonna be Smith or Columbo.
Jordan Gross, Mark Tauscher, and Stacy Andrews are all very good as well. Though I think Andrews will be resigned, Gross and Tauscher will probably end up hitting the market. Tauscher would probably be the best value.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
The Duke
Living Legend
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,459
Gender: Male
Member Number: 4800
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Some possible Free Agent O linemen for next season

Vernon Carey and Marc Colombo are the ones that stand out to me

jon runyan too but....he's obviously too old

other than that it doesn't look that good

is it that crazy to think the steelers might use the tag on marvel? it doesn't sound like something they'd do, but if a new LT is to be groomed for the position they need someone for at least a season

maybe smith will surprise us with a healthy season and sign a contract next year
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:43 AM   #5
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 156 degrees 17' 30" W 20 degrees 55' N
Posts: 1,749
Member Number: 1645
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Some possible Free Agent O linemen for next season

Can we start a thread about potential NCAA prospects?

Maybe I don't get it. But don't we have plenty of openings now? So if they don't work under THESE cirumstances then when would they work?

Riddle me this.

Is it harder to find a cheap mortgage or a Pro Bowl left tackle? We should be thankful that Kevin Colbert isn't the guy who is willing to buy subprime for the trenches. WE NEED TO BE PATIENT.

That sucks! So in that context what college players have NFL muster?
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:33 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,647
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 197
Thanked 1,318 Times in 659 Posts
Default Re: Some possible Free Agent O linemen for next season

Yeah, Stacy Andrews and Jon Runyan are RT, not really an option to me, Vernon Carey has played LT, but the Dolphins thought so much of him that they drafted Jake Long.

The only viable options that I see that may or may not be an upgrade over Marvel Smith are Jordan Gross or Marc Columbo. Columbo is 29 and Smith is 30, so not much of a young upgrade.

Everybody keeps saying Smith Sucks and he can be replaced, but nobody on these boards can really name a guy that could be had for less $$ and is an upgrade. I think he either needs to be extended or we expect a rookie LT to be drafted.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter
 
Texasteel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 3,638
Gender: Male
Member Number: 8323
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Some possible Free Agent O linemen for next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/featu...tion=OL&y=2009

Of them the best OT's that I think can play LT are Marc Colombo, Tra Thomas and .....not many.

Anybody got a suggestion who should protect Ben's blind side next season??? Best I can think is it will be a rookie if its not gonna be Smith or Columbo.
I think there is a couple there that would help greatly, just don't know if the Steelers would spend enough to get them.
__________________


Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
Elvis
Banned
 
Elvis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 3,645
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2390
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Some possible Free Agent O linemen for next season

This is something I dont understand about the obsurd resigning of a 33 year old LB named Farrior. I love Farrior and what he brings to our football team.. But we have Marvell Smith at LT and he is really in his prime right now.. Now, maybe I am wrong but I think our front office had their priorities confused.
We have Lawrence Timmons that is ready to take the next step to starting this season, why not let Farrior play out the season and let Timmons get some experience and go from there next offseason? I really dont think Farrior would be the kind that would have left for big money... he loves pittsburgh and wants to stay there.
Ok.. I know a lot are gonna dissagree with me and I am used that lol... but maybe the Steelers could have just signed him for 2 more years instead of 5 and less $$$
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:39 AM   #9
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach
 
Aussie_steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,814
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5037
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Some possible Free Agent O linemen for next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
... but maybe the Steelers could have just signed him for 2 more years instead of 5 and less $$$
I think his contract is so front loaded that he is going to cost peanuts for the last three years if he chooses to hang around as a back up player.

This contract reads like a mates deal. I'll scratch your back now ( steelers hand out a great bonus) and you scratch mine later ( farrior plays a year or two for next to nothing against the cap in the last years of the contract)
__________________
Aussie_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:34 PM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,647
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 197
Thanked 1,318 Times in 659 Posts
Default Re: Some possible Free Agent O linemen for next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
I think his contract is so front loaded that he is going to cost peanuts for the last three years if he chooses to hang around as a back up player.

This contract reads like a mates deal. I'll scratch your back now ( steelers hand out a great bonus) and you scratch mine later ( farrior plays a year or two for next to nothing against the cap in the last years of the contract)
Yeah, you are pretty much right. The signing bonus gets spread out evenly throughout the contract and Farriors last year is pretty large, so its almost a guarantee that he wont be around to collect the final year or 2.

Its a good deal, but I still wonder what the plan is for a starting LT in '09 and beyond??
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts