Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-24-2008, 12:15 AM   #1
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Some game thoughts....

WR: Willie Reid is showing himself to be a good receiver. I like Dallas Baker as well, but Reid has stepped up more. I won't be disappointed if either makes the team, but clearly, Reid has looked really good. Limas Sweed is lucky he is a 2nd round draft pick. I think he will eventually be an excellent receiver, but so far, he has been the least impressive of all the receivers.

The best part of this game is that Ben did not get injured after getting hit so much. Willie Colon may be the worst RT we have had since some of the guys we started in 1999. The right half of our O'line is downright scarry. The O'line probably played the best D'line tonight that they will see all year.

Mendenhall looked great tonight. I'm going to give him a pass on the fumbles. His footwork and burst through the line gave us a vision of what he will bring to our offense for years to come. I wish we could get the Bus to come to camp and work with Mendenhall like he worked with Willie. By the way, Willie has looked quicker this preseason than he did all last year.

This is the 2nd game in a row that I saw Anthony Smith explode off the line and take a runner down in the backfield. The kid is explosive. I wish he could make a better impression with the coaches.

Looks like Timmons may "Wally Pipp" his way into the starting lineup. Take it and run Lawrence. I like Foote, but I saw Timmons do things tonight in the pass rush that I have never seen Foote do.

Special Teams coverage, minus the kickoff return last week, has looked much better this preseason.

I loved how Tomlin rushed the FG team out there at the end of the game. Great to see the coach looking at the big picture in the future. That will pay dividends down the road this year.

Since it seems that Dixon is a lock to make the team, more nice thinking by Tomlin to give Leftwich reps out there. Another decision that will pay dividends this season.

Speaking of the schedule...it may say the Steelers have the toughest schedule, but I bet at the end of the year, it won't be the toughest.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:20 AM   #2
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323
Default Re: Some game thoughts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
Looks like Timmons may "Wally Pipp" his way into the starting lineup. Take it and run Lawrence. I like Foote, but I saw Timmons do things tonight in the pass rush that I have never seen Foote do.
Timmons is looking great.

I'm really, really excited about the return of our pass rush this season, and I think he'll be a big part of it.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

The constant pressure from the D tonight was the best I've seen in over a year. Woodley, Timmons and J. Harrison were in Frerotte's face all night long. The only thing that needs to be shored up is the 3rd down pass D, but you have to love the pressure. If they bring it like that against the Colts, *s and Cowgirls, they will make P. Manning, Marsha Brady and Tony Homo have nightmares.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:30 AM   #4
Shoes
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 6382

With this OL Ben is not going to make it through this season with the schedule we face. Ben made excuses last year for OL and he's doing it again this year. It great to be positive but the C-staff better wake up!
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:42 AM   #5
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

The Defense really impressed me tonight. Especially after the intense criticism I've thrown on them last week.

Silverback called them out and they've responded as well as I've ever seen. They coralled Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor, two better than solid backs and put consistent pressure on Minnesota's O-Line, which is lightyears better than ours. Ironically, Minnesota allowed more sacks than Pittsburgh, despite how terrible the pass protection was for Ben.

Timmons is a freak. I feel bad for Larry Foote, but Timmons has clearly outplayed him and is a much more dynamic force in the middle.

Bruce Arians has to be the dumbest Offensive Coordinator in the NFL. If the Offensive Line doesn't hamper the Steeler offense this year, I'm certain this guy will. Ben at WR? The QB sneak on the final drive? The illegal formation penalties? Who the hell commits three illegal formation penalties in a game?

Willie Colon is out of place at Tackle. He's a guard. But since Kendoll Simmons got his big contract, he's pretty much stuck there.

Rashard Mendenhall once again put up a great running game. It was spoiled by his fumbles, though.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:47 AM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,380 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
Mendenhall looked great tonight. I'm going to give him a pass on the fumbles.
Sorry, but I'm not. Nobody EVER gave Willie a pass for his fumbling problem earlier in his career and he didn't cost us a first round pick. Mendenhall's gaffes almost cost us the game tonight. I think the kid's going to be a player, but he needs to learn to take care of the ball.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:49 AM   #7
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Good points. I'll add a few.

It was smart to play Byron the rest of this game. Dixon will play most of the last game.

I thought the d'line looked good tonight. All three starting d'linemen were getting penetration. More specifically, Aaron Smith was beastly as usual, while "Big Snack" seemed to be coming off the ball as if the back was toting a side of beef instead of a pig skin.

Our o'line will continue to struggle with pass blocking this season. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise. You don't completely turn that around in a year, particularly when you lose your best o'lineman. Did anybody notice how Hartwig did? I think Tomlin has to stick with him for the time being regardless since we need continuity.

Nice to see Tyrone Carter make some nice plays in run support. This injury to Troy is making me worry. You don't have to disclose injuries in the pre-season so could it be worse than reported so far? I hope not. Maybe Tomlin was just worried about Troy trying to blow-up Petersen and getting hurt.. Because we know Troy only knows one speed when he plays.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:00 AM   #8
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
Good points. I'll add a few.

It was smart to play Byron the rest of this game. Dixon will play most of the last game.

I thought the d'line looked good tonight. All three starting d'linemen were getting penetration. More specifically, Aaron Smith was beastly as usual, while "Big Snack" seemed to be coming off the ball as if the back was toting a side of beef instead of a pig skin.

Our o'line will continue to struggle with pass blocking this season. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise. You don't completely turn that around in a year, particularly when you lose your best o'lineman. Did anybody notice how Hartwig did? I think Tomlin has to stick with him for the time being regardless since we need continuity.

Nice to see Tyrone Carter make some nice plays in run support. This injury to Troy is making me worry. You don't have to disclose injuries in the pre-season so could it be worse than reported so far? I hope not. Maybe Tomlin was just worried about Troy trying to blow-up Petersen and getting hurt.. Because we know Troy only knows one speed when he plays.
Neither Tom Brady nor Peyton Manning have played this preseason, and nobody's panicking about them.

Relax.

As for Hartwig, ugh. The guy did absolutely nothing tonight to deserve the starting job over Mahan, as much as many fans would love to see happen. The team actually moved the ball better with Mahan at C tonight, albeit against 2nd team guys. Let's face it, the OL has many more problems than just one guy at one position.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:04 AM   #9
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Sorry, but I'm not. Nobody EVER gave Willie a pass for his fumbling problem earlier in his career and he didn't cost us a first round pick. Mendenhall's gaffes almost cost us the game tonight. I think the kid's going to be a player, but he needs to learn to take care of the ball.
but willie sucks and is too small

lol. same here, can't just forgive his fumbles, he has to work on that. I heard he had no fumbles in college, don't know if that's true though

good thing is, without the fumbles he had a great game. he's really stepping up after average performances before
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:06 AM   #10
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Neither Tom Brady nor Peyton Manning have played this preseason, and nobody's panicking about them.

Relax.

As for Hartwig, ugh. The guy did absolutely nothing tonight to deserve the starting job over Mahan, as much as many fans would love to see happen. The team actually moved the ball better with Mahan at C tonight, albeit against 2nd team guys. Let's face it, the OL has many more problems than just one guy at one position.
I'm not panicking about Troy just a little worried. But the more I think about it, I'm kind of glad he didn't play. I could just see Troy throwing his shoulder into Petterson with reckless abandon and not getting up.

I'm not sure which of the two centers has played better, but I think when Tomlin decided to start Hartwig tonight that was his decision to start the season with him. Simply put, there is no combination of players presently on this team that is going to provide stellar pass protection. The key now is to get the starters as much time together as a unit in practice as we can. We will have to deal with our guys getting over-matched at times this year, but let's cut down on the number of mistakes on assignments like we saw between Simmons and Colon. BTW, great interview with Simmons after the game. He took complete responsibility for that "jail break" on that play in the first half and I am not sure it was all his fault. I think he was trying to help deflect criticism away from Colon which is the kind of act that can lead to the cohesion that can make an average line better than average.

Last edited by OneForTheToe; 08-24-2008 at 01:19 AM.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote