Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 08-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106
Default Matt Leinart = 1st Round Bust?

Talking about Alex Smith before, it seems that Matt Leinart is also about to lose a job that would have EASILY been his if he had just inspired SOME hope.

Quote:
REPORT: LEINART LOSING HIS GIG
Posted by Mike Florio on August 24, 2008, 12:35 p.m. EDT

As it turns out, four completions and three interceptions in the team’s third preseason game are enough to get the Cardinals to make a change at the top of the quarterback depth chart.

According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN, the Cards are expected to name Kurt Warner the starting quarterback for the start of the 2008 regular season.

An unnamed source told Mort that “Leinart’s training-camp performance has been uneven, and the Cardinals are concerned about his arm strength and consistency.”

Leinart was the tenth overall pick in the 2006 draft, selected seven spots after Vince Young of the Titans and one spot before Jay Cutler of the Broncos. Currently, Cutler looks to be the best of the trio.

The move, if it happens and if it sticks, also means that the Cardinals likely will be looking for another quarterback of the future, as soon as the 2009 draft. The fundamental problem is that Leinart was picked by the Denny Green regime, and Whisenhunt has decided in one year and some change that Leinart isn’t the guy. Whisenhunt isn’t likely to change his mind, unless Warner gets hurt or benched and Leinart lights it up.

For now, it’s late-career rebirth for the 37-year-old Warner, who started eleven games in 2007 after Leinart suffered a broken collarbone. In his three seasons with the Cardinals, he has started 26 games.

Warner was the league’s MVP in 1999 and 2001, but injuries and a spotty relationship with Rams coach Mike Martz ended Warner’s career there.

Before Leinart’s injury, he was the starter and Warner came off the bench when the offense was struggling, to the chagrin of Leinart.

It’ll be interesting to see how Leinart reacts to this development. Though Alex Smith, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 draft, seems to be taking his benching in stride, Leinart might start clamoring for a trade.

Warner is in the final year of his contract with the Cardinals, at a base salary of $4 million.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...osing-his-gig/
The big difference here, from San Fran's situation, is that the Cardinals actually have offensive weapons, including, perhaps, the finest one-two punch at wideout.

I agree that we will probably see some pouting and "clamoring" from the former Heisman winner.

Last edited by Crushzilla; 08-24-2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Link
Crushzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Matt Leinart = 1st Round Bust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post

The big difference here, from San Fran's situation, is that the Cardinals actually have offensive weapons, including, perhaps, the finest one-two punch at wideout.

I agree that we will probably see some pouting and "clamoring" from the former Heisman winner.
that's what worries me about leinart. he should be an average qb at least

he's started for half a season and spent injured most of another. now he can't even in the starting job. sucks to be him
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
sucks to be him
Sucks to be him? He's a multimillionaire and spends all his time hanging out with celebrities and banging groupies.

As far as being a bust, it's too soon to say. He deserves a mulligan for last year with the injury. I'd let him finish his rookie contract before I'd apply the bust label. Just look at Eli--halfway through last year he threw three pick-sixes in one game and had the worst career passer rating of the four first round QBs. Now he has a ring. Leinart could still have a breakthrough season too.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Sucks to be him? He's a multimillionaire and spends all his time hanging out with celebrities and banging groupies.
And that right there is Leinart's problem. He needs to stop spending so much time hanging out with celebrities and banging groupies and start spending more time on improving at his job. Otherwise, he's going to go the way of Ryan Leaf and be out of football within the next 3 years.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Hanging out with celebrities and banging groupies sounds like a tough habit to break...lol

It takes a true professional to pull that off and still be good at whatever you do for a living. I'm willing to give it a shot.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

Arizona just seems like the black hole of the NFL.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
And that right there is Leinart's problem. He needs to stop spending so much time hanging out with celebrities and banging groupies and start spending more time on improving at his job.
exactly. it's cool to party and stuff, but he's an NFL QB. his team expects way more from him

that said, he can still improve. it's just his 3rd year. manning turned it around in his 4th....

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwalldavey View Post
weird thing is, they are actually improving. with some help on defense they could give the hawks a run for the nfc west
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

I'm giving Matt another year or so to prove himself otherwise, but my stakes aren't very high. I don't like the guy or the school he played for, but I also don't like to see first round talent go to waste like that.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
As far as being a bust, it's too soon to say. He deserves a mulligan for last year with the injury. I'd let him finish his rookie contract before I'd apply the bust label. Just look at Eli--halfway through last year he threw three pick-sixes in one game and had the worst career passer rating of the four first round QBs. Now he has a ring. Leinart could still have a breakthrough season too.
Agreed - just a bit early to make the "bust" declaration yet, but it's not looking real promising for him.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #10
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwalldavey View Post
Hmmm.... and I thought that was Oakland... literally, and figuratively.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote