Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-25-2008, 03:47 AM   #1
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Red face 5 Presidential Secrets Left off the White House Tour

Quote:
1. Washington Wasn’t the First American President

Your teachers all said Picture 171.pngG.W. was the first American president, but George “I Cannot Tell a Lie” Washington would have told you differently. During the American Revolution in 1781, the Continental Congress elected Maryland statesman John Hanson to the post of President of the United States in Congress Assembled. After Washington defeated the British at the Battle of Yorktown, Hanson sent him a congratulatory note. Washington’s reply was addressed to the “President of the United States.” Not until he was elected in 1789 did Washington officially take his own version of the title.

To see the picture of the REAL FIRST President of the US go to the link below!

2. John Quincy Adams’ Naked Swimming Fetish

Forget secret tapes and shredded documents. Back in the early 19th century, there was a better way to get a glimpse of an American president truly exposed. All you had to do was show up at the banks of the Potomac River early in the morning during the warmer months between 1825 and 1829 to catch John Quincy Adams skinny-dipping.

3. The Fabulous Life of George Washington

As president, ol’ Georgie pulled in a salary of $25K a year. That’s roughly $1 million in today’s currency. Apparently excited by his newfound purchasing power, Washington started living it up, reportedly buying leopard-skin robes for all his horses and spending seven percent of his income on alcohol.

4. Bush Leaves His Mark on Japan

If you remember one thing from the first Bush administration, it’s probably not the 1992 state dinner during which President George H. W. Bush, ill with the flu, lost his lunch in the lap of the Japanese prime minister. Well, a lot of Japanese remember that incident a little better. Turns out, Bush’s faux pas coined a slang word, bushusuru, which translates as “to do the Bush thing,” meaning “to vomit.”

5. Thomas Jefferson Goes Missing From Office

What do you want on your tombstone? Thomas Jefferson knew, so he took the time before he died to write out the inscription. A rather lengthy memorial, the missive listed Jefferson’s many great accomplishments, from “author of the Declaration of Independence” to “founder of the University of Virginia.” However, he did forget one small achievement. The tombstone fails to mention that Jefferson was once president of the United States.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/16576?cnn=yes
Surprise surprise. Thought you guys should read it as well.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
Hapa
Banned

Member Number: 8230
Default Re: 5 Presidential Secrets Left off the White House Tour

I hate when I bushusuru
Hapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,246 Times in 2,690 Posts

great stuff. "leopard robes... "
Old 08-26-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Here's one. James Madison (4th POTUS) wrote "Memorial and Remonstrance Against Religious Assessments" in 1784. It's one of the most important documents ever written concerning the formation of the US Government as a purely secular government, but nobody has ever even heard of it, let alone read it.

In it, Madison argued that the only way to remain completely free of any kind of religious control, our government must completely distance itself from any religion.

He'd roll over in his grave if he could see Bush's white house vetoing stem cell research based on the word of "scientists" who think that humans and dinosaurs lives together on the Earth 4,000 years ago...

Yeah, I'm on a rant!
Old 08-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Here's one. James Madison (4th POTUS) wrote "Memorial and Remonstrance Against Religious Assessments" in 1784. It's one of the most important documents ever written concerning the formation of the US Government as a purely secular government, but nobody has ever even heard of it, let alone read it.

In it, Madison argued that the only way to remain completely free of any kind of religious control, our government must completely distance itself from any religion.

He'd roll over in his grave if he could see Bush's white house vetoing stem cell research based on the word of "scientists" who think that humans and dinosaurs lives together on the Earth 4,000 years ago...

Yeah, I'm on a rant!

Hmm... VERY INTERESTING GAME...

Quote:
We Recognize No Sovereign but God, and no King but Jesus! [April 18, 1775] John Adams:
“ The general principles upon which the Fathers achieved independence were the general principals of Christianity… I will avow that I believed and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.”
• “[July 4th] ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.”
–John Adams in a letter written to Abigail on the day the Declaration was approved by Congress
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --October 11, 1798
"I have examined all religions, as well as my narrow sphere, my straightened means, and my busy life, would allow; and the result is that the Bible is the best Book in the world. It contains more philosophy than all the libraries I have seen." December 25, 1813 letter to Thomas Jefferson
"Without Religion this World would be Something not fit to be mentioned in polite Company, I mean Hell." [John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, April 19, 1817]
Quote:
Samuel Adams:
“ He who made all men hath made the truths necessary to human happiness obvious to all… Our forefathers opened the Bible to all.” [ "American Independence," August 1, 1776. Speech delivered at the State House in Philadelphia]

“ Let divines and philosophers, statesmen and patriots, unite their endeavors to renovate the age by impressing the minds of men with the importance of educating their little boys and girls, inculcating in the minds of youth the fear and love of the Deity… and leading them in the study and practice of the exalted virtues of the Christian system.” [October 4, 1790]
[QUOTE]John Quincy Adams:
• “Why is it that, next to the birthday of the Savior of the world, your most joyous and most venerated festival returns on this day [the Fourth of July]?" “Is it not that, in the chain of human events, the birthday of the nation is indissolubly linked with the birthday of the Savior? That it forms a leading event in the progress of the Gospel dispensation? Is it not that the Declaration of Independence first organized the social compact on the foundation of the Redeemer's mission upon earth? That it laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity"?
--1837, at the age of 69, when he delivered a Fourth of July speech at Newburyport, Massachusetts. [/QUOTE

Quote:

Thomas Jefferson

“God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are a gift from God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, and that His justice cannot sleep forever.” (excerpts are inscribed on the walls of the Jefferson Memorial in the nations capital) [Source: Merrill . D. Peterson, ed., Jefferson Writings, (New York: Literary Classics of the United States, Inc., 1984), Vol. IV, p. 289. From Jefferson’s Notes on the State of Virginia, Query XVIII, 1781.]
Quote:

And... JAMES MADISON

“ We’ve staked our future on our ability to follow the Ten Commandments with all of our heart.”
“We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not upon the power of government, far from it. We’ve staked the future of all our political institutions upon our capacity…to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God.” [1778 to the General Assembly of the State of Virginia]

• I have sometimes thought there could not be a stronger testimony in favor of religion or against temporal enjoyments, even the most rational and manly, than for men who occupy the most honorable and gainful departments and [who] are rising in reputation and wealth, publicly to declare the unsatisfactoriness [of temportal enjoyments] by becoming fervent advocates in the cause of Christ; and I wish you may give in your evidence in this way.
Letter by Madison to William Bradford (September 25, 1773)
• In 1812, President Madison signed a federal bill which economically aided the Bible Society of Philadelphia in its goal of the mass distribution of the Bible.
“ An Act for the relief of the Bible Society of Philadelphia” Approved February 2, 1813 by Congress
“It is the mutual duty of all to practice Christian forbearance, love, and charity toward each other.”
Amongst others.... of course...

I don't think the division between the constitution and the moral codes of Christianity and belief in faith are as divergent as modern culture wishes they were.

Furthermore, I think Madison would find Bush's faith initiatives right in line with his own actions of funding a bible society
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I've been very preoccupied with "Freethinking" lately...more on that later...
Old 08-26-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I've been very preoccupied with "Freethinking" lately...more on that later...
Freethinking is fine... as long as it has a base in reality...

otherwise, as the old saying goes, it may be sound, but not valid.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,246 Times in 2,690 Posts

this is your captain speaking. this is NOT a hijacking in progress
Quote:
Samuel Adams:
“ He who made all men hath made the truths necessary to human happiness obvious to all… The Bengals suck.” [ "American Independence," August 1, 1776. Speech delivered at the State House in Philadelphia]
simply amazing and thank you for flying bungles suck airlines.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Old 08-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

So when was Jesus born? Was it really December 25th? (my military career and family life as well as other personal interests have prevented me from doing the research myself.)

Because my understanding of it is that nobody really knows. We just so happen to celebrate it one week before the New Year (which is based on a religion not of Christian roots) speculated to be due to the Roman Catholic Church wanting to bring in a larger contingent of followers.

For all that the birth of Christ is a big deal, I'd think the resurrection of Him would be equally as big. Which is strange to me, because He's been resurrected on a great many different set of dates.

The fact that all of this follows the time honored Christian method of worship (predicated around moon cycles) seems a bit odd to me. The fact that Easter bears a strange resemblence Eostre, former Pagan religion from our Anglo-Saxon friends, is not lost upon me of the many "realities" of the religion of our founding fathers.

Something along the lines of the first Sunday after the 14th day after the March Full moon, or some crap like that. It's been a long while since I've read anything on the "realities" of these particularly big events of Christianity.