Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-26-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517
Default Statement By Commissioner Roger Goodell on Steelers

Quote:
STATEMENT BY COMMISSIONER ROGER GOODELL:

We had a very constructive 2 -hour meeting today. I think everyone now has an even better understanding of the issues, which focus on the league's gambling policy as it relates to ownership, our 30 percent equity rule for principal owners, and the Rooney family issues.

There are also important league interests that are involved because the NFL owners are partners collectively in the NFL and our rules require that all ownership transfers be approved by three-quarters of the owners. So I thought it would make sense on that basis to have NFL owners involved in the meeting and I invited Tom Benson, Mike Brown, and Jerry Richardson to participate, which they did.

Today was another step in the process. We will continue the dialogue and I am optimistic that we will bring it to a resolution in the near future.
http://news.steelers.com/article/94197/

---

Just another "step in the process".
Old 08-26-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Statement By Commissioner Roger Goodell on Steelers

Hey Rog, how many fingers am I holding up?

Assclown.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,621 Times in 2,866 Posts

thats the great thing about steelerfans. even though this date and meeting have been looming and hanging over our team like a black cloud, it seems the actual game comes first and we are talking about final cuts and whether hartwig should replace mahan.

this issue is almost an aftert hought now.

its a far cry from other teams fanbases where goodell, specter, and perceived espn slights are bigger than the game itself.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,799 Posts

"Today was another step in the process. We will continue the dialogue and I am optimistic that we will bring it to a resolution in the near future."

In other words, Goodell made the other Rooney brothers an offer they couldn't refuse... Luca Brasi held a gun to their heads and Goodell assured the brothers that either their brains or their signatures would be on a contract selling their shares to Dan and AJR II.

Goodell is out of line here - if owners want to sell their shares the issue is the creditworthiness of the buyer. The P-G story this morning that Dan's owner buddies will veto a sale to Druckenmiller while forcing a sale that Dan and AJRII can somehow finance by getting Visa to increase their credit limit is not in the best interests of the franchise, just protecting an insider.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #5
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Good thing Mike Brown was there!
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

I was concerned this might happen, Good ole Roger and Dan are tight and maybe he is helping protect Dan Rooneys interest in team.
Love Dan and all he has done for the Steelers but not sure a sale to Drukenmiller would be a bad thing.
Don't want Dan going into debty and that hurting the football team....
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSteel View Post
I was concerned this might happen, Good ole Roger and Dan are tight and maybe he is helping protect Dan Rooneys interest in team.
Love Dan and all he has done for the Steelers but not sure a sale to Drukenmiller would be a bad thing.
Don't want Dan going into debty and that hurting the football team....
Not so sure it would be a good thing, either. The only thing I know about this Druckenmiller guy is that he's stinking rich and he's a big fan of the team he wants to buy. Dan Snyder was the same way. How has that worked out for the 'Skins? The only other thing I know is that the status quo that was in place for decades before that jackass Goodell arrived on the scene was all of a sudden not kosher anymore. Sorry, I refuse to make Dan Rooney the bad guy in all of this. By the way, when are the Packers going to be made to comply with the 30% majority ownership rule, seeing as how the gambling hurdle in this mess has already been cleared?

Quote:
The Rooneys have interest in two racetracks and the NFL has ordered them to get out of the gaming business. To comply, Art says he has resigned from the racetrack boards and Tim and Pat have resigned from the Steeler board. But ownership of the team is another matter.

"So we're cooperating and moving toward resolving the gaming part of it but I don't think that there's any way that we can resolve the ownership deal where one guy has 30 percent of it," Rooney said. "I just don't think that's in cards."
http://kdka.com/steelers/art.rooney.....2.784101.html

Last edited by fansince'76; 08-26-2008 at 09:15 PM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #8
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,656 Times in 1,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
Good thing Mike Brown was there!
Chit....Were doomed!!!!

Maybe he was there as a example on how not to run your team.

I'm kind of on the fence on this one. I want the team to remain in the Rooney family, but not go so far in debt that it hinders the team to do it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,621 Times in 2,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
"Today was another step in the process. We will continue the dialogue and I am optimistic that we will bring it to a resolution in the near future."

In other words, Goodell made the other Rooney brothers an offer they couldn't refuse... Luca Brasi held a gun to their heads and Goodell assured the brothers that either their brains or their signatures would be on a contract selling their shares to Dan and AJR II.

Goodell is out of line here - if owners want to sell their shares the issue is the creditworthiness of the buyer. The P-G story this morning that Dan's owner buddies will veto a sale to Druckenmiller while forcing a sale that Dan and AJRII can somehow finance by getting Visa to increase their credit limit is not in the best interests of the franchise, just protecting an insider.
....but Druckenmiller was only offering cold hard cash. plus doesnt VISA Field have a much nicer ring to it than Heinz Field?

kudos to druck for putting up a valiant effort. im almost 100% positive he woulda carried on the proud steelers tradition and always done what was best for the team (both as a fan and a business owner).
Old 08-26-2008, 09:50 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
....but Druckenmiller was only offering cold hard cash. plus doesnt VISA Field have a much nicer ring to it than Heinz Field?

kudos to druck for putting up a valiant effort. im almost 100% positive he woulda carried on the proud steelers tradition and always done what was best for the team (both as a fan and a business owner).
Maybe to sweeten the deal AJRII and Dan can tell the other brothers they will get the frequent flyer miles that will be earned by financing the purchase on the credit card
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote