Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-27-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Notebook: Reid needs to produce now

Notebook: Reid needs to produce now
By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff
Published: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:44 AM EDT

PITTSBURGH — Willie Reid doesn’t believe he’s in jeopardy of losing his roster spot. Still, entering his third season with the Steelers, he’s reached a critical point in his pro career.

His future with the Steelers could be in jeopardy if he doesn’t start producing. That’s why Thursday night’s fourth and final preseason game is so important to him.

Reid, a former Florida State star taken in the third round of the 2006 draft, will get plenty of action against the Carolina Panthers. With the starters expected to play only a series or two, and rookie Limas Sweed questionable with a sore knee, Reid will get his share of snaps at wide receiver.

He’ll also share time with Eddie Drummond on punt and kickoff returns.

“I’d like to think of myself as a versatile player,” Reid said. “I can do everything imaginable from covering kicks, to returning punts and kickoffs, to catching that critical third-down reception. I just want to show everyone the whole repertoire of what I can do.”

Reid did exactly that at FSU, where he’s one of the few Seminoles to ever score touchdowns by running with the football, catching passes and returning kicks.

But in his first two years with the Steelers, Reid has hardly played.

As a rookie, he was designated a game-day inactive the first three games of the season. Then when he finally played in an Oct. 8 game at San Diego, he suffered a season-ending foot injury.

Last year, he played sparingly in five games.

So far this year, Reid has held his own in his battle to nail down the Steelers’ No. 5 receiver spot. He leads the team with nine catches for 81 yards. But he has yet to return a punt or kickoff.

But that will change Thursday against the Panthers.

“I like returning both punts and kickoffs,” he said. “As long as I get the ball in my hands, I’m happy.”

DISAPPOINTED

As expected, center Sean Mahan was upset about losing his starting job to Justin Hartwig.

“What do you think?” Mahan said when asked how he felt. “I want to play. So of course it’s disappointing. I just have to move on and be ready to do whatever I can to help this team win.”

Mahan was signed last year via free agency and beat out Chukky Okobi for the vacancy created when Jeff Hartings retired. But this year, it was Mahan who got beat out by a free-agent acquisition.

“Sean took it like you would expect a professional competitor to take it. He wasn’t necessarily pleased,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “I’d be disappointed if he took it any other way. He’s like anyone else (out there). He’s a competitor. He wants to play and he wants to win.

But he is a professional. He understands what team football is about.”

Because he played guard in the past with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Mahan may also be used as a backup at that position as well.

INJURY UPDATE

After missing practice Monday with minor injuries, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (ankle) and linebacker James Harrison (shoulder) both returned Tuesday. So did running back Willie Parker, who was given the day off Monday.

All three are expected to start against the Panthers.

Parker, though, may not even get a carry.

Such was the case last year in the Steelers’ fourth and final preseason game against the Panthers in Charlotte, N.C.

Parker was on the field for the first play of the game _ it was a pass play _ and then called it a night.

“It could happen again this year,” Parker said. “But that’s OK. I’m ready. I’ve had enough of the preseason.”

Linebacker Larry Foote, who suffered a minor knee injury in Saturday’s win in Minnesota, won’t play against Carolina. Neither will rookie linebacker Mike Humpal who’s been out with a stringer.

Meanwhile, rookie safety Ryan Mundy (foot) has returned to practice this week and may play a few snaps Thursday.

Sweed missed practice for the second straight day and may not play against the Panthers.

ROSTER TRIMMED TO 76

The Steelers made another roster move Tuesday, placing tight end Cody Boyd on the waived/injured list.

Boyd had corrective knee surgery on Monday

After four roster moves Monday, the Steelers had until 4 p.m. Tuesday to cut one more player.

Tuesday was the NFL’s first of two mandatory cut-down days when rosters had to be reduced to 75.

But the Steelers are allowed to carry 76 players because Marvin Allen, a wide receiver from England, is a roster exemption. He’ll be international practice squad player this year.

The Steelers must cut their roster to 53 by 4 p.m. on Saturday

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/...c090187710.txt
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default Re: Notebook: Reid needs to produce now

Quote:
Meanwhile, rookie safety Ryan Mundy (foot) has returned to practice this week and may play a few snaps Thursday.
That's great news, that I believe alot of us are rooting for this kid.

As far as Reid is concerned, he's definetly played, lately, like his spot is on the line. Good luck kid.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Glad to see Mundy coming back ...but very dissapointed that Humpal is still inactive, I thought he might be able to impress if given the chance.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

So is Humpal setting the world record for longest stinger or what?
Steely McSmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,408 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely McSmash View Post
So is Humpal setting the world record for longest stinger or what?
Probably won't matter after Saturday, as he more than likely won't make the final cut.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I think Reid has played pretty well thus far in the preseason as far as getting open and grabbing the ball. If he can prove himself on K/P returns, he's got a spot on this team.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

I've said that I've given up on Willy this year. I would be very happy for him to make me eat my words.
Crows not bad with a little red wine.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Probably won't matter after Saturday, as he more than likely won't make the final cut.
To be honest...I hope he makes the practice squad...but I know its unlikely.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
To be honest...I hope he makes the practice squad...but I know its unlikely.
Well you just broke my heart.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I think Reid has played pretty well thus far in the preseason as far as getting open and grabbing the ball. If he can prove himself on K/P returns, he's got a spot on this team.
I agree...I liked what I saw ..and at this point if I had to pick between him and Baker...I would ahve to go with Reid.

Granted...some of that decision comes down to our drafting Sweed and downgrading the need for a tall red-zone reciever.