Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-28-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Tonight Last Chance for some Steelers....

Quote:
Tonight last chance for some Steelers

Dennis Dixon: What does the injury to Charlie Batch and the arrival of Byron Leftwich mean for the planned development of the rookie QB out of Oregon?

The Steelers don't have any major decisions to make after the preseason finale tonight against the Carolina Panthers. Every starting position except for punter has been determined.

The most important part of the game will be avoiding injuries. For a select few players fighting for jobs, however, this game is the biggest of the season.

"It's a big week for a lot of reasons," coach Mike Tomlin said. "It's the last opportunity for a lot of men to make an impression. We have some critical decisions to make as a football team."

Tomlin said between three and five roster spots have not been determined. For players vying for those positions, this game could be the difference between earning an NFL paycheck, being placed on the practice squad or being out of a job.
Steelers preseason

One of the key decisions will be how many quarterbacks Tomlin decides to carry. Backup Charlie Batch had surgery to repair a broken collarbone and might not be ready to return for another few weeks.

Veteran Byron Leftwich was signed to replace Batch, and rookie Dennis Dixon was drafted in the fifth round with the intention that he would be the backup of the future.

Leftwich has impressed Tomlin in the limited amount of time he has been in camp. The decision could be whether Leftwich has impressed enough to keep him over Batch while Dixon learns the system. Batch, in the final year of his contract, has been on the roster since 2002.

"Based on what [Leftwich] has done to this point, there is comfort," Tomlin said. "Every day is so important for him because there have been very few days and opportunities. So far, he has taken advantage of those opportunities and gotten better. He has to continue to do that. [Tonight] will be a part of that."

After Ben Roethlisberger plays a series or two against the Panthers, Leftwich and Dixon will take the rest of the snaps.

"I knew I could come in and learn it quick," Leftwich said. "I've learned as much as I could learn in a short period of time. It's still football. I'm comfortable with it. I'm just enjoying it and having fun."

One of the other key battles will be for the fifth receiver position. Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Nate Washington and likely Limas Sweed have the team made. The fifth and final receiver position is between Willie Reid and Dallas Baker.

"They've had good moments and they've had moments that haven't been so good," Tomlin said. "They're fighting. They're young guys. They make mistakes. Hopefully, they don't make too many. That's a hotly contested battle, one that may be waged on [tonight] and ultimately decide how those spots unfold."

Tomlin was speaking of Reid, Baker and Sweed in that response, but it's hard to imagine any scenario where Sweed is not on the 53-man roster. He has struggled at times and has been laid up with a knee injury lately, but he is a second-round pick with loads of potential.

Reid impressed with his performance last week against Minnesota when he led the team with five receptions for 55 yards.

"It's one of those things where it's a day-to-day battle," Reid said. "I'm not getting caught up in numbers and who's doing what. I just go out and play my best and play my game."

Reid, a third-round draft pick in the 2006 draft, played in one game as a rookie before suffering a season-ending foot injury. He played in five games last season. Reid was a standout punt-returner at Florida State, but he has yet to flash great return skills in the NFL.

Tomlin said Reid and Eddie Drummond will split the punt- and kick-return duties against the Panthers.

"I talked to them and let them know I want my shot to do some punt- and kick-return stuff because that's what I do and I feel I'm real capable of doing it," Reid said. "I think of myself as being able to do the whole nine yards, being able to do whatever they want me to do. Return kicks, cover kicks, catches passes, block, whatever."

A few other decisions the Steelers could make:

Safety -- Veteran Tyrone Carter and rookie Ryan Mundy are battling for one spot. Mundy, who has been out since Aug. 8 with a high ankle sprain, did not play in the past two preseason games and will not play tonight.

Cornerback -- Special teams standout Anthony Madison and undrafted rookie Roy Lewis are vying for one spot. Madison is a special-teams demon while Lewis, who played at the University of Washington, has been impressive in his first camp.

Defensive end -- The Steelers brought in Orpheus Roye to push Ryan McBean, last year's fourth-round pick.

Linebacker -- Third-round pick Bruce Davis, sixth-round pick Mike Humpal and veteran Andre Frazier could be fighting for one spot.

Tight end -- The Steelers have kept three tight ends in the past. Lee Vickers and Dezmond Sherrod could be battling for one spot unless Tomlin uses backup tackle Max Starks as the third tight end.

Offensive line -- If the Steelers keep 10 linemen, fourth-round pick Tony Hills likely will make the team. If not, they'll try to sneak him through to the practice squad.

Punter -- Mitch Berger and Paul Ernster were brought in to replace injured starter Daniel Sepulveda. They will split the punting duties against Carolina. Ernster performed the punting duties in the first and third preseason games, Berger in the second. Ernster averaged 48 yards per punt last week against Minnesota.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08241/907598-66.stm

By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037
Default Re: Tonight Last Chance for some Steelers....

Quote:
Linebacker -- Third-round pick Bruce Davis, sixth-round pick Mike Humpal and veteran Andre Frazier could be fighting for one spot.
Davis will not be let go. I am guessing he gets a pass based on the fact he was a 3rd round pick. MIght not read well for Frazier.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
Hapa
Banned

Member Number: 8230

Quote:
Tomlin said between three and five roster spots have not been determined.
If it's between three and five, then it can't be three and it can't be five, so why didn't he just say four?
Hapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:58 AM   #4
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Thanks GB. As you know, I don't get these artical where I live.
I hope that the Panthers have to kick a bunch in this game. I think the most important battle is going to be between Reid and Drummond. Our kick return game has not be good for a while now, personaly I hope Willie comes to work ready to show his stuff. I think he has a lot of talent we have not seen yet.

I can't see Carter getting cut unless he is just plain worthless in this game.

If Hill doesn't make this team its going to be like throwing gas on a camp fire around here.

Go Steelers

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
Thanks GB. As you know, I don't get these artical where I live.
I hope that the Panthers have to kick a bunch in this game. I think the most important battle is going to be between Reid and Drummond. Our kick return game has not be good for a while now, personaly I hope Willie comes to work ready to show his stuff. I think he has a lot of talent we have not seen yet.

I can't see Carter getting cut unless he is just plain worthless in this game.

If Hill doesn't make this team its going to be like throwing gas on a camp fire around here.

Go Steelers
I agree Tex. I like Reid and honestly feel he can be competitive at the professional level. Unfortunately, I don't think he has ever made the transition mentally, and the odds are against him at this point imo. We'll see, but his time may be running out....

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
I agree Tex. I like Reid and honestly feel he can be competitive at the professional level. Unfortunately, I don't think he has ever made the transition mentally, and the odds are against him at this point imo. We'll see, but his time may be running out....
You've just sumed up his hole situation. He's got all this talent, and hasn't shown it.
I agree with you that he has used up all his chances here. If he doesn't show it tonight, he'll have to show it some place else.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,820 Times in 1,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
I hope that the Panthers have to kick a bunch in this game. I think the most important battle is going to be between Reid and Drummond.

Go Steelers
I think Reid has more value as a WR/KR, so its really a Baker or Reid decision. We have Moore, Holmes, Mendenhall to handle kicks, so Drummond not really necessary.

I think you are right that if Hills doesnt end up on the roster or make it to the PS, there will be a lot crying "wasted 4th round choice". I wont be one of them throwing gas if he is cut, but think its a smart move if they can keep him around for a season. I honestly think he might be able to start at RT next season for us.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

"• Tight end -- The Steelers have kept three tight ends in the past. Lee Vickers and Dezmond Sherrod could be battling for one spot unless Tomlin uses backup tackle Max Starks as the third tight end."
he must of saw my post the other day.. lol
i would keep the 2 te's of miller and speath and have another key pos spot.. b/c usually the only time we go 3 te's is in the redzone and all they do is block for the most part.. so y not put starks in to block

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote