Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Portrait of Obama as "elitist" hailed as huge step forward for African Americans

Portrait of Obama as "elitist"....

there are plenty of good reasons to question the man's qualifications, and everyone should scrutinize him carefully; but the "elitist" tag just doesn't hold.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Portrait of Obama as "elitist" hailed as huge step forward for African Americans

That was fantastic...love the onion's sarcasm.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547
Default Re: Portrait of Obama as "elitist" hailed as huge step forward for African Americans

Amazing what can happen in politics...a black first-generation American raised by a single mom is an "elitist" while a Yale/Andover preppy from a political dynasty is a "man of the people".

Same goes for the 2000 primaries. A puke who took a cushy stateside assignment served more honorably than a man who got tortured in the Hanoi Hilton.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

I'm not sold on Obama, but I still hate hatchet job elections. And that includes trash in the other direction, the stuff about McCain and his wife, and his houses, stuff like that. I want to know as best I can which direction the country is going to go in the future.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
I'm not sold on Obama, but I still hate hatchet job elections. And that includes trash in the other direction, the stuff about McCain and his wife, and his houses, stuff like that. I want to know as best I can which direction the country is going to go in the future.
The day that a politician can actually discuss the issues instead of sling mud, then DC will have a problem on their hands....there will actually be a president who gives a crap about the working class!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

The far right has created an aura of negativity about candidates who are intellectual and learned. Kennedy was the last President who was admired for his brain, where there wasn't an image campaign to "dumb him down". Bill Clinton was one of the most highly educated and scholarly Presidents we ever had, but i guarantee you 95% of people would not list that as one of his top attributes.

This Country is in a sad state of decline, and we are wrong to make scapegoats out of intelligent and educated people..."intellectual" should not be a pejorative term.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

You have to have a lot of both. Just a great school record, and just a lot of experience, both are inadequate for a task as important as this one. The Presidency is a job where we have the right to demand BOTH.

I'm all over the value of education, but I've also had someone right out of college show up as the boss, and it isn't pretty. And I'm Dem, but not stupid. There are plenty of folks with degrees in Urban Management and Policy (or Rural Cultures, or some such idiocy) who have never lived in the city or country, and who want to make policy there. On the world stage, the first one who comes to mind is Pol Pot. That is obviously extreme when discussing America, but still; we need someone with BOTH.

I'm thinking, Obama can get experience, but McCain is topped out on the smarts.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
The far right has created an aura of negativity about candidates who are intellectual and learned. Kennedy was the last President who was admired for his brain, where there wasn't an image campaign to "dumb him down". Bill Clinton was one of the most highly educated and scholarly Presidents we ever had, but i guarantee you 95% of people would not list that as one of his top attributes.

This Country is in a sad state of decline, and we are wrong to make scapegoats out of intelligent and educated people..."intellectual" should not be a pejorative term.
Quotes or links please....

Or is this just another... right wing conservative (read fundy christians) suck and are unintelligent....
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:42 PM   #9
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I'd rather look at the facts of what each candidate has actually achieved in their life, what types of legislation they have truly been a part of writing, and getting passed, in a bi-partisan way. Which Candidate truly crosses the aisle, even to the hatred of his own party and has actually banged his head against the current President's door and called him out on failed policies.

Which candidate has worked on Finance Reform, forcing the sitting President to sign it?

Which candidate led the battle to restrict interrogation techniques and to ban torture?

Which candidate actually oposed the "Bush" Cash cuts when they passed?

Which candidate had pushed and pushed for the surge before the "surge" was even a talking point in the media?

Which Candidate sponsored legislation to regulate tobacco and took on the cigarette companies.

Which candidate attacks wasteful spending and earmarks constantly during his time in the Senate.

and then..figure out which candidate voted against a bill called the Infants Born Alive Act that would protect the lives of children who survive botched abortions?

Look those up...then decide.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:59 PM   #10
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Or you could pretend you own a Football Team in the NFL. Now, your team is a mess. You have problems in the locker room. You have no solid QB, you have no Solid RB, you have an old worn out defense and no depth at any position. what do you do?

You have 2 choices.

Hire this young guy out of the Texas Highschool Football League, AAAA Division. His offense is scoring 60 points a game, he's won 3 state championships and he has devolped some tricky offense that hides the ball and uses shotgun option out of a 4 wide set and is just awesome to watch.

Or

You can hire this old coach, who just wants to be GM, wants to rebuild your team from the ground up, will give you 4 years to take the mess you have, and turn it around and start it on the right direction. He has a couple SB rings, a couple trophies on his mantle, has been there and is proven, and all you have to do is get out of his way and let him fix things.

Who do you hire?

Now if your team was already good, and everything was going smoothly, say you had a SB MVP on your team, a SB winning QB on your team, a Top 3 defense year in year out, you may go with the young guy, take a risk, you have pieces in place that can get the job done. But if your team is a train wreck...who do you hire.

Ask the Miami Dolphins. They got it right.