Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #31
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580
Default Re: McCain selects governor Palin as running mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
I think it is a strategic mistake, one of many the Republican election machine has made this cycle. Not that I don't like the person; from what I've read, she is quite honorable. But she is even less qualified than Obama.

4 years on the Wasilla (pop 5470) city council

6 years as mayor of Anchorage (pop 283,000)

1 1/2 years as governor of Alaska (pop 683,000)

This is essentially your local politician. Look at the people on your city council, or the mayor of your city, and imagine that person as president or vice-president. Imagine Scranton mayor Chris Dougherty as potential presidential material. An honorable man, certainly. But not a president.

So all of a sudden, the one thing that McCain could have hammered Obama on is no longer an issue; it is now the same for both tickets.

If you were already decided for McCain, then you'll like her. But if you are undecided, she isn't going to help him win. It doesn't make me (undecided) more likely to vote for him, it makes me less so. McCain goes down, and she's the Prez? I don't think I'd be real confident with that.

But yeah, she is really beautiful.

Not to be a total nitpick, but I am pretty sure she was never mayor of Anchorage. I think she went straight from being mayor of Wasilla to govenor of AK. Anyone know for sure?
Old 08-29-2008, 04:19 PM   #32
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
tony hipchest
you would think there will be major backlash from the republican party for the selection of somebody so inexperienced. especially now that it defuses all the (now empty) rhetoric about obama. but i expect she will be embraced as a youthful champion of hope.
An inexperienced VP is less of a concern to me than an inexperienced Pres. Chances are she would get some experience before ever being pres. Not the case if Obama wins. It will be funny if the dem's try to make a bid deal out of this....

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:19 PM   #33
steveironcity
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer View Post
Not to be a total nitpick, but I am pretty sure she was never mayor of Anchorage. I think she went straight from being mayor of Wasilla to govenor of AK. Anyone know for sure?
Yeah, she did. From Mayor to Gov. Nice Pick for the Reublicans. The only thing the dems have so far is lack of experence, and its been said here already, its a tough card to play. Obama picks a 65 year old Texbook politician, and Mccain picks a 44 year old Mother of 5 who epitomises conservative. Mccain wins this one

Steelers- 6 time Super Bowl Champions
Pirates- 5 time World Series Champions
Penguins- 3 time Stanley Cup Champions
Panthers- 9 time National Champions
steveironcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #34
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

You are right, Hawk Believer. I got my initial facts off Wiki, and the entry on her was poorly written. It has been edited and it is much more clear that she was mayor of Wasilla (pop 2700), then governor for 1 1/2 years. And no, that is not a nitpick; it is in fact very important. At least mayor of Anchorage is like mayor of Pittsburgh; it is a decent sized city.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #35
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveironcity View Post
Yeah, she did. From Mayor to Gov. Nice Pick for the Reublicans. The only thing the dems have so far is lack of experence, and its been said here already, its a tough card to play. Obama picks a 65 year old Texbook politician, and Mccain picks a 44 year old Mother of 5 who epitomises conservative. Mccain wins this one
For those who are already in McCain's camp, that may be so. But for the vast majority of undecideds, this is a troubling pick. There are a lot of local women politicians whom I admire, but none whom I would vote for for president. A year and a half as governor of a state with a population of 683,000? As the second in command for a 71 year old man who has had 4 bouts with cancer?

There were many better choices. As an undecided, I question McCain's judgment on this one. For a second in command, I'll trust a textbook politician to hold the reins until the next election over a conservative mother of five, thank you.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #36
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I have only one thing to say, and be prepared, because it's quite profound:

MILF!
Old 08-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #37
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I have only one thing to say, and be prepared, because it's quite profound:

MILF!
Mother I would Like to Facilitate for Vice President of USA?
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #38
steveironcity
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
For those who are already in McCain's camp, that may be so. But for the vast majority of undecideds, this is a troubling pick. There are a lot of local women politicians whom I admire, but none whom I would vote for for president. A year and a half as governor of a state with a population of 683,000? As the second in command for a 71 year old man who has had 4 bouts with cancer?

There were many better choices. As an undecided, I question McCain's judgment on this one. For a second in command, I'll trust a textbook politician to hold the reins until the next election over a conservative mother of five, thank you.
And Deleware has not many people more than Alaska. SO that point is kind moot. She has run a city , and state govenment. Something that Obama, Biden, and even Mccain have never done. Notice at first the Dems tried to attack her as inexperenced, but a few hours later, the changed there stance. From Totally Inexperenced, to Inexperenced on Foregn Affairs. If they want a debate on experence, i say that the Mccain camp should tell them to bring it.

Steelers- 6 time Super Bowl Champions
Pirates- 5 time World Series Champions
Penguins- 3 time Stanley Cup Champions
Panthers- 9 time National Champions
steveironcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #39
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Seems like this choice does negate the whole experience argument. If the republicans continue to argue that Obama isn't experienced enough, it calls McCain's judgement to question since she will be "just one heartbeat away from the presidency."

I think they are thinking they can snipe a few of the Hillary voters, but in the end I think hardcore Hillary supporters will feel patronized by people who expect them to vote Republican just because the veep is a woman.

Should be interesting to see is groups like NOW are going to be quick to pull the sexism card in defense of Palin as she is vetted by the media in the upcoming months. My guess is no...
Old 08-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #40
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveironcity View Post
And Deleware has not many people more than Alaska. SO that point is kind moot. She has run a city , and state govenment. Something that Obama, Biden, and even Mccain have never done. Notice at first the Dems tried to attack her as inexperenced, but a few hours later, the changed there stance. From Totally Inexperenced, to Inexperenced on Foregn Affairs. If they want a debate on experence, i say that the Mccain camp should tell them to bring it.
I guess we'll see, then. But I'm not sure that Wasilla (pop 2700) qualifies as a city in most places... it is about 1/3rd the size of... oh, Pleasant Hills. Or, 1/8th as big as Baldwin. Or, 1/6 the size of Scott Twp. How about Eileen Meyers as VP candidate? I didn't think so.

I'm not trying to attack her; I'm trying to analyze it as part of an election strategy, and I don't see how this helps the Republicans. It neutralizes their strongest argument that they had against their opponent, and that doesn't make sense. For anyone who has already decided, it won't change their minds; it won't make Obama's minions go over to McCain, and it won't drive McCain supporters away. But for the undecideds, it certainly won't make any points, at least on the face of it. Sure, Delaware is small, but Biden has been in the Senate for a long time, and has the connections in place. He might not have helped Obama, but he didn't drive away any undecideds, either. In general, the undecideds didn't react with, "Biden? Huh?"

But of course, what's done is done, and we'll see how it plays out.