Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Veterans Thread

I hope this thread can be used by any our members who have served our country (and those wishing to express their gratitude) for whatever purpose you like. To tell us about who you are, where you served, stories or experiences you want to share,Ö.or simply to let us know your name, rank or serial number.

It is because of your commitment and sacrifice that we have our precious freedom.

Iím not sure what direction this thread will take but consider it a blank canvas, OK?

Thank you for your service!

~ 3 Doors Down

Last edited by GBMelBlount; 08-30-2008 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Changed Thread title
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741
Default Re: War Veterans Thread

Thank you for the thread.

I've been in the military for 11 years. I served 4 years Active Duty with the United States Navy.

In 1998, when the Embassies were being bombed in Africa, I was in the Med Sea. We lost out on half of our port calls to travel back to the Atlantic and along the Western Coast of Africa to provide relief.

In 2000, I was in the Med (again) when the USS Cole was bombed. As with '98, all of our Mid East port calls were canceled and we spent 57 consecutive days at sea (getting underway replenishment) waiting on our President to tell us to go to war.

I have served the last 7 years in the Army Reserves, having been mobilized in 2003 for the "start of the war" in Iraq. My unit was sent to Kuwait to setup and run an ASP (Ammunition Supply Point.) Was probably one of the easiest mobilizations that any of us over there had to endure. Sucked being gone from the family, but was an otherwise cake assignment.

Due to my civilian job (working for the Army Reserves) and a few volunteers, I've managed to not get sent overseas for a 4th time, though next year is a target year for my unit...meaning it'll be time to go very soon.

Yup, my bags are packed and ready to go. The only way I get delayed again from going is if I get accepted into Warrant Officer Candidate School, which is expected to happen sometime this fall. If I can finish up with all the schooling required for it before the mob, I'll go with my unit. If not, then I'll go with another once my schools are complete.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
steveironcity
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1135

I served form 98-04 in the Army, but never served in a warzone. War Vets are the true heroes. Not some athlete, or movie star.

Steelers- 6 time Super Bowl Champions
Pirates- 5 time World Series Champions
Penguins- 3 time Stanley Cup Champions
Panthers- 9 time National Champions
steveironcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Didn't serve long and it was a medical discharged unrelated to any action. I was in the Navy from 91-92, just over a year and a half.

While I served, I wave off those who try to put me in the same boat as those men and women who serve longer and in more dangerous times.

To those men and women, I stand and salute. And from the bottom of my heart I say GOD BLESS YOU AND THANK YOU FOR PROTECTING THIS COUNTRY AND MY FAMILY!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:14 PM   #5
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

I was in the Pennsylvania National Guard for 6 years.
I was sent to Iraq in 04' and received a medical discharge for loss of hearing in both ears.
I am now in my last year of college, with a major in elementary education.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
TroysBadDawg
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 6617

I am not sure I could do another interview again but here is the link to it.

Link to interview at CowboysPride.net

For what it is worth, I would do it all over again.

Here We Go Brownies Here We Go Woof Woof
Americanos dicen ingl?s, Aprietan dos para Deportaci?
TroysBadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:00 AM   #7
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

Served in the 82nd Airborne for 6 years. Seen my first action in Afganistan. Was in forward Ops. Received a bronze star and a purple heart. Seen alot of terrible things that still haunt me today, however I am proud to have removed some terrorists from this world.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:05 AM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

My hat goes off and my heart goes out to my fellow Vets....You are all my brothers (and sisters) and we share a bond that some find very hard to understand.

I served as a Military Police officer for several years including a stint in Panama during Operation Just Cause...and in Iraq during the 1st Persian Gulf War.

We landed in Saudi in January of '91 and stayed in the Khobar Towers for 10 days. (The same towers that were attacked by terrorist in 1996). In those 10 days we had 14 SCUD missiles shot at our location..with all 14 of them being taken out by Patriot missle defense.

We moved up to Log-Base Minnesota near the Iraq/Saudi border and immediatly began "sweeps" of the desert. This consisted of 20 armed Humvees lining 1/2 mile from each other to cover a 10 mile area, and driving through specific areas to tell the local bedouin tribesman that they needed to move out of harms way. (..and also to check them out as potential informants and sympathizers)

On February 24, 1991 ( My Moms birthday) the Gulf War ground offensive began after six weeks of intensive bombing against Iraq and its armed forces,

By the end of the day, over 10,000 Iraqi troops were held as prisoners, and a U.S. air base had been established deep inside Iraq. We were so overwhelmed with the amount of prisoners that we had to process and transport, that my platoon didnt sleep for 3 days.

At one point we had set up a temporary camp and heard a loud explosion...looking up we saw a dust flume about 1/2 mile from us....then saw a second explosion about 1/4 mile away. The bad news was that the Iraqis were "walking" rounds in on us...the good news is that we were supported by a battalion of artillery and M.L.R.S. (Mulri-Launch Rocket System) They were able to trace the trajectory of the two round BACK to its original location and they let loose with about a 5 minute burst. The military iltelligence unit assigned to us told us later that a Warthog flew over the area soon after and couldnt even tell what had shot at us or how many there were shooting at us. All that was left was a BIG crater in the sand.

After less than four days, Kuwait was liberated, and a majority of Iraq's armed forces had either been destroyed, surrendered or retreated back into to Iraq. On February 28 we declared a cease-fire, but we still met small pockets of resistance. By this time we had been "loaned" out to the 14 armored Calvery regiment...one night we were standing in front of an abandoned box truck just outside camp when a small pickup drove by about 100 yards. We heard distinct rifle shots and what sounded like a ball-peen hammer hitting the truck. All the rounds missed us by about 3 yards and we gathered ourselves together enough to call in the dirtbags in the truck ...who were "dealt" with by a nearby British unit.

It was at this time also that we were getting REEEAAAALLL tired of baby-sitting prisoners. It seemed like everyday we would have several groups give themselves up and we had to search...process...seperate...feed...watch...and transport them to the rear. So one day near nightfall...we were very pleased to notice that we had no prisoners and wouldnt have to set up guard duty (Which meant that everyone could get a good nights sleep). Sure enough..up pulls a large dump truck with about 40 smiling Iraqi soldiers..all ready to give up and get a good meal. I looked at the other Sgt. on duty and instantly told the spokesman of the group that we "were not accepting prisoners" at the time...and that "we were closed". he looked at me like I was crazy and asked..."Your closed?"...I told him we were...but that we "opened" again in the morning and would be happy to take them prisoner at that time. he motioned for me to step aside and whispered.."You promise?"...I laughed and promised and he and his friends crawled back into the truck and left. The next morning bright and early...up pulls the truck...we process the prisoners..and immediatly transport them to the rear camp.

After all was said and done...only one hundred and twenty-five American soldiers were killed in the Persian Gulf War, with another 21 regarded as missing in action.

I returned home on Mothers Day and was met by an American public that treated us like heros. I cried more than once at the love and support that was shown us.

Just wanted to share some of my experience with you all.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:11 AM   #9
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

True heroes come in different forms. Not athletes or celebrities.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:17 AM   #10
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

I was part of one of the first Airborne attachments sent into Afganistan. Our first jump was supposed to be in an area with no hostiles. Hower intel was wrong, we recieved fire on the way down I was grazed twice, once in the heel and once in my chest. Was extremely blessed the wounds were not severe. We landed and immediately set up a perimeter. It was about 25 of us, as our mission at the time was to set up an outpost.

We faced about 75 Taliban and managed to push them back. We called in for air support and a C-130 gunship showed about 5 to 10 minutes later, and mowed down the remaining Taliban. I believe it was the first time they had encountered a C-130 gun ship. For those that don't know it rains down complete carnage.