Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
Steeldude
Living Legend

Default Mahan trade?

http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com

Quote:
The Steelers have explored the trade market for Sean Mahan and Max Starks to clear some cap space. A source indicates the Steelers approached the Chicago Bears about Starks and indications are the Bears want nothing to do with Starks' salary. Sean Mahan could become an issue. There is some speculation coming from outsiders that Mahan is very unhappy and has privately demanded a trade. A Steelers source would not confirm this. If the Steelers are able to move Mahan it is a win-win situation for both sides. The Steelers will be able to clear some cap space and address other needs. I'm hearing the Steelers would like to add a veteran #4 cornerback, if they are able to free some cap space.
cutting or trading mahan provides $1,375,000 in cap room. (i believe that is correct)

IMO, a solid RT is a bigger need than a 4th a CB(of course RT's are a little more costly). willie anderson is available. he refused to take a pay-cut so the bengals cut him. perhaps he would be willing to play for a cheaper price due to the steelers being legit SB contenders. he is a 12 year vet without a ring. i couldn't see the steelers signing him for more than one year. if he was signed the steelers could slide colon into the RG spot. we all know what simmons is capable of.

it would be nice to trade starks.

oh well, some water cooler talk
Old 08-30-2008, 10:45 PM   #2
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Mahan trade?

I wonder if that "veteran #4 cb" would be Delta O'Neal?

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
Old 08-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #3
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
I wonder if that "veteran #4 cb" would be Delta O'Neal?
why does that name sound so familiar. is that the CB from the broncos?
Old 08-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #4
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

Quote:
The Steelers have explored the trade market for Sean Mahan and Max Starks to clear some cap space. A source indicates the Steelers approached the Chicago Bears about Starks and indications are the Bears want nothing to do with Starks' salary. Sean Mahan could become an issue. There is some speculation coming from outsiders that Mahan is very unhappy and has privately demanded a trade. A Steelers source would not confirm this. If the Steelers are able to move Mahan it is a win-win situation for both sides. The Steelers will be able to clear some cap space and address other needs. I'm hearing the Steelers would like to add a veteran #4 cornerback, if they are able to free some cap space.

I had to laugh when I read Mahan may be unhappy and want a trade. Talk about ungrateful. I don't know if its true but if it is, screw him. He is given a starting job with big money at a new postion and falls on his face. Now he wants to bail because he doesn't get starting nod. Steelers don't need a guy with character like that, especially when you could find better centers in Canada or the Pac 10. loooooooser, if its true.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:46 AM   #5
Davison_K
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
I thought he was a Bengal
Old 08-31-2008, 12:48 AM   #6
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
Bengals.

Interesting. Mahan...if that's true, whatever. He's a cap calamity anyway. If we could find a replacement for Starks that'd be great. He's another big ouch.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:36 AM   #7
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Mahan's not really worth anything to us right now, so even if we trade him for a draft pick and use it on an OL next year, that's a great move in my book.

We're probably stuck with Starks no matter what. We're paying him like he's one of the top 10 linemen in the league, and he's not even one of the top 50 linemen. Maybe not even one of the top 100. Even if he does well this year, he'll want more in an extension than we should ever pay him. Better for us to tell him good luck and use the cap space to figure out some other way to get a decent tackle.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:42 AM   #8
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Man Max is gettin no love from the board........For a man who was the starting tackle for our superbowl season, there is a huge lack of respect.........Just because Tomlin is not starting him doesn't mean he is not the one for the job........I still think that Colon and coach are bro's n buds.... cause Max can play........I don't get it........Don't get me wrong.....I love Willie C. and his narly attitude and he takes on any defender after plays and stands up to them all, but max is huge .........They both should be playin in there somewhere........
Old 08-31-2008, 04:13 AM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

KFFL is saying that the Steelers are looking for trade partners for Mahan, Starks, ...and Essex.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:48 AM   #10
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
Man Max is gettin no love from the board........For a man who was the starting tackle for our superbowl season, there is a huge lack of respect.........Just because Tomlin is not starting him doesn't mean he is not the one for the job........I still think that Colon and coach are bro's n buds.... cause Max can play........I don't get it........Don't get me wrong.....I love Willie C. and his narly attitude and he takes on any defender after plays and stands up to them all, but max is huge .........They both should be playin in there somewhere........

Yah Max has taken alot of flak but it's because of his recent playing. Noones down on him for no reason. You are right he has incredible size, but seems he is not using that size to dominate DL's. IMO he's too slow.