Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,467 Times in 1,636 Posts
Default Rookie Class having small impact on starting lineups

http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story?cam...000d5d80a6c9d2

Rookie class will have small impact on starting lineups in Week 1
By Pat Kirwan | NFL.com
Senior Analyst

While the final roster cuts are in, there will be slight changes to rosters over the next few days as teams claim or sign players in order to make their team better.

One thing, however, remains true: As usual, the rookie class will make little impression on Week 1 starting lineups as a whole.

Week 1 rookie starters by position:
Position Player
QB Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco
RB Matt Forte, Kevin Smith
FB Peyton Hillis, Jerome Felton
TE None
WR Eddie Royal
G Donald Thomas
C Mike Pollak
OT Sam Baker, Jeff Otah, Ryan Clady, Duane Brown, Branden Albert, Jake Long
DE Chris Long, Kendall Langford
DT Sedrick Ellis, Glenn Dorsey
LB Jerod Mayo, Curtis Lofton
CB Brandon Flowers
S Tyrell Johnson, Charles Godfrey
There are 704 total starters, excluding punters and kickers, in the NFL. While this year's rookie class is good, it would be impressive if it could secure 25 of those 704 starting jobs. Usually three percent of the opening day starters are rookies. This year 24 rookies, or three percent, will likely be starting this weekend.

Of course a few rookies, like running backs Jonathan Stewart in Carolina, Rashard Mendenhall in Pittsburgh, Darren McFadden in Oakland and outside linebacker Vernon Gholston for the New York Jets, will get significant playing time right out of the gate. But the truth is it's very hard for rookies to pass a veteran on the depth chart in just six weeks of training camp.

Here are some observations about opening day and the rookie class of 2008:

It's no secret that the Falcons, Chiefs and Dolphins are young teams. Consequently all three teams have three rookies in their starting lineup. Each team plans on plugging in a rookie at left tackle, which presents lots of challenges.

Atlanta sends rookie QB Matt Ryan out with rookie OT Sam Baker on his blind side, as well as rookie middle linebacker Curtis Lofton on the other side of the ball. The Dolphins have Jake Long at left tackle, surprise starter Donald Thomas at guard, and Kendall Langford at defensive end. The Chiefs got nothing out of rookie guard Branden Albert all summer due to an injury. But he is scheduled to protect Brodie Croyle's blind side on the road against the Patriots in Week 1. Glenn Dorsey, the No. 5 overall pick in April's draft, will start on the defensive line for the Chiefs and Brandon Flowers, the only starting rookie corner in the league, gets to face Randy Moss and Tom Brady, which is no easy task.

The Broncos are depending on some rookies to step in right away, too. Denver starts a rookie at offensive left tackle in Ryan Clady, at wide receiver in Eddie Royal, who has to play because of Brandon Marshall's suspension, and at fullback in Peyton Hillis, who Denver drafted in the seventh round. The Broncos have been one of the oldest teams in the league for a number of years but it is the right time for them to get younger.

There's no problem when quality teams like the Dallas Cowboys, Green Bay Packers, Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Giants, and Pittsburgh Steelers don't have any rookies starting because it is difficult to break into the lineup of a good team. When teams like Baltimore (5-11), Cincinnati (7-9), New York Jets (4-12), Oakland (4-12), and San Francisco (5-11) can't get one rookie starter for opening day it can be a problem down the road. One thing I learned the hard way is when a team isn't winning it might be time to bite the bullet and get the young players on the field.

In total, nine offensive linemen are scheduled to start in Week 1. It was a strong draft for that group. The only two offensive tackles of the eight drafted in the first round of last April's draft not to start on opening day will be Gosder Cherilus in Detroit and Chris Williams, who is injured, in Chicago.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Rookie Class having small impact on starting lineups

Matt Ryan is intriguing. I think he has the skills to play (and be very good) on Sundays, but will he be the next Tim Couch? Birth by fire isn't so great if your OL is super spotty...
Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

I think that James Hardy and Jonathon Stewart both will end up starting and being pretty solid contributers this season.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,467 Times in 1,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Matt Ryan is intriguing. I think he has the skills to play (and be very good) on Sundays, but will he be the next Tim Couch? Birth by fire isn't so great if your OL is super spotty...
Yeah, Atlanta not having a good defense might not make things any better.

At least Joe Flacco shouldnt have to need a big game to give his team a chance to win. Ryan on the other hand may have to put a lot of points on the board just to match what the Atlanta defense gives up.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Flacco will struggle a bit, but I think he'll even out toward the end of the season IF the defense plays lights out for him.

Matt Ryan...really hard to say. He's got everything you need for a good (even great) starting quarterback, but add Atlanta to that equation and you get a big question mark.

Kevin Smith has the electricity to bring Barry Sanders-ness back to Detroit, I'm looking forward to watching him.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman16 View Post
Kevin Smith has the electricity to bring Barry Sanders-ness back to Detroit, I'm looking forward to watching him.
i was watching cold pizza today and Barry Sanders was on, when it hit me. Barry Sanders original single season rushing leader, drafted by the detroit lions. now the detroit lions draft the guy who breaks Barry Sanders single season rushing record.

he is gonna be something special, as long as he can hold off Rudi Johnson which im pretty sure he can.

tonight espn will be showing, Hey Rookie at 8 pm i think and Rashard Mendenhall will be one of the rookies that they follow
Old 09-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

I drafted Kevin Smith relatively early in my SF draft. I watched him play several times last year, and I really do see Shawn Alexander II in him. He's a little more raw coming out of, what? C-USA instead of the SEC, but he runs with balance and power, has good vision, and will learn to block and catch like an NFL back needs to.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I drafted Kevin Smith relatively early in my SF draft. I watched him play several times last year, and I really do see Shawn Alexander II in him. He's a little more raw coming out of, what? C-USA instead of the SEC, but he runs with balance and power, has good vision, and will learn to block and catch like an NFL back needs to.
Maybe he'll have a longer shelf life than Alexander.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #9
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

I agree. Kevin Smith is going to be a good one for the Lions. For their sake, I hope they don't waste his career on futility much like they did with Sanders.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Alexander had a good run. I think the average life expectancy as a pro RB is 3 years.