Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-04-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Funny, I don't remember seeing a breakdown like this after the Democratic Convention

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080904/...cvn_fact_check

Is it because the Democrats are "the Party of Truth" and never strained credulity during their convention?

Methinks not.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Re: Funny, I don't remember seeing a breakdown like this after the Democratic Convent

Its alot like having a horse in a race. When you've invested all your hard money, and time, and heart into once candidate, and have plans of story after story of what a "great moment" it is in American when you're candidate wins, then you do whatever you can to get that candidate elected and seriously fear what would happen if your candidate loses. All your investment is wasted.

Buyers remorse yet? Who Knows. But it is obvious that a lot of people are on the side of one candidate not about issues, but about ratings and future articles they will write about that same candidate.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Funny, I don't remember seeing a breakdown like this after the Democratic Convent

Well, I'll be damned...lookie what I found!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080828/...n_fact_check_6

By DARLENE SUPERVILLE, Associated Press Writer
Thu Aug 28, 12:10 AM ET

DENVER - Sen. Barack Obama's formal nomination Wednesday as the Democratic candidate for president brought with it praise for Obama and a barrage of renewed attacks on his Republican opponent, Sen. John McCain. Some were on point, others missed the mark.

ADVERTISEMENT

Some examples:

VICE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE SEN. JOE BIDEN of DELAWARE: "Barack Obama will bring down health care costs by $2,500 for the typical family, and, at long last, deliver affordable, accessible health care for all Americans."

THE FACTS: Obama's health care plan does not provide for universal health care coverage. He promises to make it affordable and would require children to be covered, but not adults. Estimates of how many would remain without insurance vary. Hillary Rodham Clinton said during the primaries that Obama's plan would leave 15 million people uninsured.

FORMER PRESIDENT CLINTON: The Bush administration "took us from record surpluses to an exploding national debt; from over 22 million new jobs an increase in working family incomes of $7,500 to a decline of more than $2,000; from almost 8 million Americans moving out of poverty to more than 5 and half million falling into poverty — and million more losing their health insurance."

THE FACTS: Clinton, helped by a decade-long economic expansion, recorded four straight years of budget surpluses. They ended in 2001, whittled away by a recession that started that year, and the cost of fighting terrorism after 9/11 and President Bush's tax cuts. Bush has recorded some of the highest deficits in history in dollar terms including a record $413 billion imbalance in 2004.

The Census Bureau reported this week that median household income grew by 1.3 percent last year to $50,233, the third straight annual increase. It still fell short of the previous peak, reached in 2000, when inflation is included. The bureau said the number of families living below the official poverty threshold last year was 12.5 percent, not statistically different from 2006. But the latest report covered 2007 before the current economic slowdown had begun to take its toll.

BIDEN: "Because Barack made that choice, 150,000 more children and parents have health care in Illinois. He fought to make that happen.

THE FACTS: Obama did none of this single-handedly, but as a member of the Illinois Senate. He helped expand an existing children's health insurance program. He also helped pass legislation to raise the income threshold for eligibility and make the temporary program permanent.

_SEN. JAY ROCKEFELLER of WEST VIRGINIA: "John McCain has served his country with honor. But his refusal to change course even in the face of the failed policies of Bush-Cheney is reckless and will not keep us safe."

THE FACTS: After the U.S. led the invasion of Iraq in March 2003, McCain initially said he had no doubt U.S. forces would be "welcomed as liberators" in Baghdad. But McCain changed his mind after visiting the Iraqi capital later that year. Back in Washington, he began calling on the Bush administration to send more troops to beat back an insurgency that was responsible for spiraling violence. That put him at odds with the White House, most Republicans and military leaders. McCain's position jeopardized his presidential campaign, but he put on a brave face, telling audiences he'd "rather lose an election than lose a war."

In January 2007, Bush announced he was sending 20,000 more troops to Iraq. They have been credited with helping improve security in Iraq.

_FORMER SECRETARY of STATE MADELEINE ALBRIGHT: "Sen. McCain says that American troops should remain in Iraq perhaps as long as they have been stationed in Korea and Japan, as if there were no difference in history, religion or culture between our friends in Asia and those in the Middle East."

THE FACTS: Democrats have made much of McCain's "100 years" comment at a town-hall meeting earlier this year in New Hampshire. It was in response to a questioner who had challenged him about President Bush's view that U.S. troops could be in Iraq for 50 years.

"Maybe a hundred," McCain said. "We've been in South Korea. We've been in Japan for 60 years. We've been in South Korea for 50 years or so. That'd be fine with me as long as Americans, as long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed. Then it's fine with me. I hope it would be fine with you if we maintain a presence in a very volatile part of the world where al-Qaida is training, recruiting and equipping and motivating people every single day."

McCain also has said he envisions victory in Iraq and the return of most U.S. troops by January 2013 — the end of his first term if elected. He also says withdrawal should be based on security conditions in Iraq, not hard deadlines.

_REP. CHET EDWARDS of TEXAS: "In the last two years, Sen. Obama helped pass the new GI education bill."

THE FACTS: The GI bill became an issue during the presidential campaign because it illustrated a stark difference between the two candidates. Obama, a member of the Veterans' Affairs Committee, supported the bill; McCain, a veteran himself, did not. Each side accused the other of playing politics with the issue.

The bill, part of a larger war funding bill President Bush signed into law, increased education benefits for troops and veterans. McCain, siding with the Pentagon, said he opposed it because the enhanced benefits could encourage people to leave the service early during a war. McCain and Republican colleagues proposed a bill to tie increased benefits to length of service. Obama showed up for the Senate vote; McCain, who has missed more than half the votes in the Senate during the current Congress because he was campaigning, did not.

_SENATE MAJORITY LEADER HARRY REID of NEVADA: "Sen. McCain and the Republicans have centered their answer to our vital energy needs on one solution: offshore drilling. Sen. McCain calls for it in every speech ... White House analysts, congressional analysts, and the oil industry all agree that offshore drilling won't add one drop to our energy pool for at least 10 years... Will it do any harm? The answer is, we just don't know, and neither does he."

THE FACTS: Reid is correct when he says opening areas of the U.S. coast, now off limits, will produce no new oil for years; energy experts predict seven to 10 years. McCain has acknowledged the time frame, but argues it could have a psychological effect on oil markets if the U.S. commits to more production. Many experts believe such an effect would be temporary and likely do little to lower prices.

___

Associated Press writers Jim Kuhnhenn in Detroit and Marty Crutsinger, H. Josef Hebert and Calvin Woodward in Washington contributed to this report.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,172 Times in 2,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080904/...cvn_fact_check

Is it because the Democrats are "the Party of Truth" and never strained credulity during their convention?

Methinks not.
sometimes people only see what they want to see.

seriously... why does the right have such a serious problem with exposing this bullcrap? and why do they ignore and deny that the left faces the same type of scrutiny?

Quote:
FORMER ARKANSAS GOV. MIKE HUCKABEE: Palin "got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States."

THE FACTS: A whopper. Palin got 616 votes in the 1996 mayor's election, and got 909 in her 1999 re-election race, for a total of 1,525. Biden dropped out of the race after the Iowa caucuses, but he still got 76,165 votes in 23 states and the District of Columbia where he was on the ballot during the 2008 presidential primaries.

FORMER MASSACHUSETTS GOV. MITT ROMNEY: "We need change, all right change from a liberal Washington to a conservative Washington! We have a prescription for every American who wants change in Washington throw out the big-government liberals, and elect John McCain and Sarah Palin."

THE FACTS: A Back-to-the-Future moment. George W. Bush, a conservative Republican, has been president for nearly eight years. And until last year, Republicans controlled Congress. Only since January 2007 have Democrats have been in charge of the House and Senate.
i immediately knew the huckabee line was crap because i looked into the population of alaska and her towns, when the bogus and insignificant 90% approval rating number was thrown around.

and i actually laughed out loud at romney. that was almost better than leiberman comparing mccain to clinton.

funny how the DNC actually discussed the issues and it was the RNC who did nothing more than sling mud and pat eachother on the back with empty rhetoric.

ouch.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
sometimes people only see what they want to see.

seriously... why does the right have such a serious problem with exposing this bullcrap? and why do they ignore and deny that the left faces the same type of scrutiny?

i immediately knew the huckabee line was crap because i looked into the population of alaska and her towns, when the bogus and insignificant 90% approval rating number was thrown around.

and i actually laughed out loud at romney. that was almost better than leiberman comparing mccain to clinton.

funny how the DNC actually discussed the issues and it was the RNC who did nothing more than sling mud and pat eachother on the back with empty rhetoric.

ouch.
hope and change is an issue?those are the most popular words in Husseins vocabulary. epitome of empty rhetoric. McCain deserved a pat on the back for choosing Palin. Its obvious the way the media and you libs are trying to smear her you guys are desperate. Tell me would you than listen to Pelosi, Feinstein, Boxer and the other lib skanks from CA or this "barracuda". She is the most interesting and engaging female politician I have seen. I am not talking about her looks either.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #6
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
hope and change is an issue?those are the most popular words in Husseins vocabulary. epitome of empty rhetoric. McCain deserved a pat on the back for choosing Palin. Its obvious the way the media and you libs are trying to smear her you guys are desperate. Tell me would you than listen to Pelosi, Feinstein, Boxer and the other lib skanks from CA or this "barracuda". She is the most interesting and engaging female politician I have seen. I am not talking about her looks either.
you still believe that Palin "got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States." dont you?

90% approval rating....
Old 09-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
you still believe that Palin "got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States." dont you?

90% approval rating....
Hey Tony...

Do you still believe that Obama has more experience than Palin?
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Hey Tony...

Do you still believe that Obama has more experience than Palin?
in the back seat of a car? probably not.

in washington? yes.

i also know that obama has earned a hell of alot more votes than palin too.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #9
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

Quote:

90% approval rating....
votes are irrelevant he clearly didn't have his facts straight. Apples to oranges anyway.
As far as the 90% goes, the exact number is not what I am focused on. The fact the she has done a great job and her ratings from the people she served are high is whats important. Keep using semantics, you learned from the best (slick Willy). 70, 80 , 90 % doesn't matter to me. She obviously intimidates you and other libs. You no longer have the freshest face in the race. Obama has plenty of skeletons exposed, so I understand why you guys are feel inferior now. I highly doubt Palin has any skeletons has bad as Husseins wife and Reverend Wright in her closet. husbans dui 20 years ago close though. too funny.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
votes are irrelevant he clearly didn't have his facts straight. .
he clearly lied in blatant fashion because hes stupid and thinks the righties he hopes will vote are too.

me intimidated by palin? i would spank that booty raw! shes all fluff. arm candy. if she ever gets into washington she will be a nobody. other than being the first woman in the whitehouse she will probably be one of the most insignificant VP's ever (unless mccain croaks).

it is you and other ribs who are intimidated by obama. its so transparent.