Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #1
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Which well known politician is Sarah Palin most like? And what does it mean?

I think Palin's stance on the issues is most similar to Rick Santorum. On family, on abortion, on government, business, military... everything. If you like Rick Santorum, you'll like Sarah Palin.

Which, to me, makes McCain's comments about reaching out across party lines (despite his having voted with Bush 90% of the time over the last 8 years) all the more curious; if it were so, then why did he choose a running mate who is actually further right than Bush, especially considering his age and his health? If it were really true, wouldn't he have chosen someone like Lieberman? Maybe not Lieberman himself, but someone more moderate than Palin?

I understand the conservatives liking Palin. But McCain is sending out a confusing message; what he is saying and what he is doing are at cross purposes. I don't see any actual reaching out, as evidenced by his record and his choice of VP candidate. You can either vote for him as a conservative, or vote for him as a maverick... but he can't be both. He has to stand for something and stick to it, or the message gets watered down.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Which well known politician is Sarah Palin most like? And what does it mean?

He has to solidify the far right vote...no Republican in the last 30-40 years has won without it.

This whole thing about him dying in office is a little overblown, too...see his 96 year old mom? She looked pretty spry to me...so it's wrong to assume that he's going to kick the bucket and she'll "inherit the mantle".

I don't like her stance on creationism, abortion, et al, but I like her credentials as far as bucking the system...it's why I've been a McCain fan for years, despite some of his far right stances on social issues. She balances the ticket in a few ways that he needed, and definitely appeals to the religious right, McCain won't win without strong support from that bloc.

The wild card is women. Just as almost all blacks will vote for Obama just because he's black (may not be PC to say so, but it's true), McCain is hoping to scoop up as many women as he can, ESPECIALLY the disgruntled Hillary contingency. There were widespread reports at the DNC of almost open mutiny against Obama from Hillary supporters...it's no stretch to see a big swing over to McCain from that camp.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Re: Which well known politician is Sarah Palin most like? And what does it mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
The wild card is women. Just as almost all blacks will vote for Obama just because he's black (may not be PC to say so, but it's true), McCain is hoping to scoop up as many women as he can, ESPECIALLY the disgruntled Hillary contingency. There were widespread reports at the DNC of almost open mutiny against Obama from Hillary supporters...[it's no stretch to see a big swing over to McCain from that camp.
Highly doubt it, Obama's platform is far closer to Hillary's than McCains'. The media will also help the left wing to solidify against the much bigger enemy by election time......conservatives.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

GBMB, don't you think the media has made the Hillary/Obama split appear larger than it really is, in the name of "anything for a story?"

To my thinking, McCain's best strategy was to stay right where he was, pick a MOR running mate, and hammer on Obama's inexperience. I think that would have produced an election day dead heat. To his credit he's gone his own direction, but it's hard to see how it's helped him with anyone other than those whom he already had. The party base, even those who hated him, were/are going to hold their nose and vote for him anyhow, no way were they going to Obama, and it's only the liberals who are stupid enough to go third party and cut off their nose to spite their face (conservatives are far more pragmatic).

As someone who was swung to Bush in 2000, I feel pushed toward Obama in 2008.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

And rev, the disgruntled Hillary contingency is still pissed, but they aren't going to vote arch-conservative based on chromosomes. My sister is a PO'd Hillary backer who is still really PO'd at Obama for not reaching out to her/them by himself, by name; he never really asked Hillary's supporters for their vote... Hillary asked them to go over to Obama, but Obama never did. THAT is what they are pissed about. She's still sulking, but there is no way, no way at all, that she is going to abandon the principles when it is time to pull the lever. It just isn't happening. She isn't ready to count herself for Obama if she gets polled, but she know what she is going to do in November.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
And rev, the disgruntled Hillary contingency is still pissed, but they aren't going to vote arch-conservative based on chromosomes. My sister is a PO'd Hillary backer who is still really PO'd at Obama for not reaching out to her/them by himself, by name; he never really asked Hillary's supporters for their vote... Hillary asked them to go over to Obama, but Obama never did. THAT is what they are pissed about. She's still sulking, but there is no way, no way at all, that she is going to abandon the principles when it is time to pull the lever. It just isn't happening. She isn't ready to count herself for Obama if she gets polled, but she know what she is going to do in November.
You know what I saw the other day? In the rear window of someone's car, on one side, there was a Hillary for President sign. On the other side? A Democrats for McCain sign. I'm quite sure this person isn't the only Hillary supporter who is going to vote for McCain over Obama, so you can't just casually dismiss the notion.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Disagree that she's like Santorum. He was a sanctimonoius, self-serving douche. Palin is a tough reformer who challenged the establishment.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
You know what I saw the other day? In the rear window of someone's car, on one side, there was a Hillary for President sign. On the other side? A Democrats for McCain sign. I'm quite sure this person isn't the only Hillary supporter who is going to vote for McCain over Obama, so you can't just casually dismiss the notion.
It's not just disgrunteld Hillary supporters. Hillary supporters are more conservative than Obama supporters, and McCain is the kind of Republican who would appeal to them.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

[QUOTE=Mosca;431228]I think Palin's stance on the issues is most similar to Rick Santorum. On family, on abortion, on government, business, military... everything. If you like Rick Santorum, you'll like Sarah Palin.

Which, to me, makes McCain's comments about reaching out across party lines (despite his having voted with Bush 90% of the time over the last 8 years) all the more curious; if it were so, then why did he choose a running mate who is actually further right than Bush, especially considering his age and his health? If it were really true, wouldn't he have chosen someone like Lieberman? Maybe not Lieberman himself, but someone more moderate than Palin?QUOTE]

Actually, McCain is a republican really only in the R by his name. He's a moderate by all accounts on all his stances. He does in fact cross party lines and does in fact, pissss off Rush Limbaugh, which should make the Dems very happy. Now, in choosing Palin he actually reached out, to the Conservative base of the Republican party. I would bet, that was kind of a tough choice for him, being that the Conservative Base of the Republican party is what destroyed and attacked him in 2000. Had Obama reached out to Hillary, that would have been bold considering what they had been through over the last 10 months or so with attacking each other. McCain basically gave an olive branch to the same people that he's been pisssssing off for years and that have left him high and dry on many of his ideas and attempts at policy reform.

Had McCain picked HIllary has his running mate, that would have been true pandering to the left wing, same as if he chose Lieberman.

Btw, for the Record, I wanted Rudy. Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
I don't necessarily think he is. I just am not sure from an issues standpoint why that many would swing from Hillary to McCain..... Perhaps there are other factors that are more important in their decision. I just think Clinton and Obama are much closer ideologically.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote