Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486
Default Shaun Alexander Going to be a Bengal?

Quote:
AP Interview: Shaun Alexander vows he's back
By GREGG BELL
AP SPORTS WRITER
Last updated September 5, 2008 5:55 p.m. PT

SEATTLE -- Shaun Alexander isn't bitter at being unemployed.

He isn't angry at the Seahawks for dumping their career rushing and touchdowns leader unceremoniously in April. He doesn't feel betrayed that Seattle cut him just two seasons after he was the league's MVP, led it to its only Super Bowl and then signed a $62 million contract that went unfulfilled.

And, no, he isn't retiring.

Instead, the 31-year-old Alexander believes his signing is imminent with one of a handful of teams that have provided "a constant flow of calls," including his hometown Cincinnati Bengals. So imminent, his extended family members in Northern Kentucky are suggesting a new name.

In Seattle, Alexander wore No. 37.

"They want me to be Tres Siete)," Alexander said Friday in a telephone interview with The Associated Press, laughing at the twist on the Bengals star receiver formerly known as Chad Johnson now being officially recognized as Chad Ocho Cinco, to match his uniform number 85 in Cincinnati.

Alexander grew up in Florence, Ky., across the Ohio River from the Bengals' waterfront stadium.

People still wear metallic blue Seahawks jerseys with Alexander's old No. 37 all around Seattle, where the 31-year-old still lives with his wife and three young daughters. He's been working out at the University of Washington's weight room and indoor track and football field with his longtime speed coach Joe Gentry. Surprised students are bumping into him and his familiar, beaming smile and saying, 'Hey, aren't you ... Shaun Alexander?"

Two months ago, X-rays showed the cracked bone in his left foot that ruined his 2006 season and hampered him in '07 is finally fully meshed again. The broken left wrist he had to begin last season is fine, too, able to withstand vigorous bench pressing at those UW workouts.

"Man, I'm healthy and excited to play. And I think this year can be a big year for me if I get the opportunity. I can still play the game. I think I can help a team get to the Super Bowl," he said during a 40-minute talk in which he was as relentlessly upbeat and giggly as always, despite the fact that he knew his friends on the Seahawks were leaving at the same hour for their season opener at Buffalo on Sunday.

He said he'd sign for the veteran minimum because "I've never played for money."

He said he's willing to share roles, that he doesn't need to carry the ball 30 times a game anymore. He just wants the missing piece to his career: a Super Bowl title.

"I think that it won't be long before a team calls that says, 'Just go do what you do,'" he said.

Seattle cut its career leader with 9,429 yards rushing and 112 touchdowns days before the draft because it believes former backup Maurice Morris, deposed Cowboys starter Julius Jones and former Atlanta lead back T.J. Duckett will combine to be more dynamic and produce better this season than Alexander did in his last two years.

Daunte Culpepper is a fellow 31-year-old former star who was unemployed before giving up waiting for that call. Culpepper retired on Thursday.

Will Alexander retire, too, if a team doesn't offer him a job during the season?

"No," he said. "I haven't even thought about it like that. I've had enough conversations with teams to know this could be coming soon."

This is the first September since he was a grade schooler back in Florence that Alexander has not been on a football field. He said he feels like a boy poised atop his bicycle, in his full football gear, helmet hanging off the handle bars, just waiting to be told which field to ride to.

"It's an exciting time for me. Right now, of course, this time of the year, I'm so excited to play," he said. "Driving around the city I hear the high school bands playing. Saw Alabama (his college team) play on TV the other night. Talked to some of the guys (on the Seahawks) and they were saying. 'Man, it's time.'

"I am ready. I'm in great shape. My workouts have been great. I'm ready to get back and help a team get to the Super Bowl."

This is the first time Alexander has spoken publicly since Seattle released him. His only response to that was a news release from his publicists that thanked the team and its fans.

Alexander was scheduled to earn $4,475,000 this season in a deal that many around the league questioned at the time it was signed, because 30 is an age at which NFL running backs often become shadows of their former selves.

He said he hasn't had any tryouts since his release, because he hasn't needed any. Though Denver was rumored to be interested, he's visited only New Orleans and Cincinnati to look at game plans to explore a possible fit. He said his most recent call from a team came Monday.

He went to three Pro Bowls, but was never Seattle's most beloved player. Everyone loved Alexander during that Super Bowl season of 2005, when he set an NFL record with 28 touchdowns and a franchise mark of 1,880 yards rushing. After signing an eight-year contract with $15.1 million guaranteed, Alexander was doomed by the first major injuries of his career and an in-flux offensive line.

He called his release "just the business of football." And he praised coach Mike Holmgren - "an offensive genius" - for adjusting his famed passing offense to rely more on Alexander's running.

"After the smoke clears, I think people will say, 'You know what? That Shaun Alexander, he did all right when he was here,'" he said of Seattle. "I think there will be more smiles when the smoke clears."
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...rs_return.html
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568
Default Re: Shaun Alexander Going to be a Bengal?

it would be a smart move by the bengals bring in a decent/good rb for the min to help caryy the off.. could pay off for them

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

I love Shaun and his attitude, but....

He wants a ring and he's gonna sign with the Bungles?
Old 09-06-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman16 View Post
I love Shaun and his attitude, but....

He wants a ring and he's gonna sign with the Bungles?
Sure? Since it's clear to him now that he'll never be able to actually WIN one, he's doing the next best thing: Joining the NFL's thieves guild, so he can learn from the leagues most accomplished criminals how to STEAL one.

Seriously, if he signs with the Bungs, I'll give them one more win, and upgrade them to 5-11 this year.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #5
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Sure? Since it's clear to him now that he'll never be able to actually WIN one, he's doing the next best thing: Joining the NFL's thieves guild, so he can learn from the leagues most accomplished criminals how to STEAL one.

Seriously, if he signs with the Bungs, I'll give them one more win, and upgrade them to 5-11 this year.
In that case, wasn't he suppose to join the Cheating profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilters of NE?
Old 09-07-2008, 06:58 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,418 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

His best days are behind him he may be a decent backup but that will be all he will be.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
steel striker
Banned

Member Number: 7251

He is a good back when healthy but, he does not fit in with them. He does not even have a record or rap sheet. lol
steel striker is offline   Reply With Quote