Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-26-2005, 02:30 AM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Thumbs up We're finally getting healthy

Getting healthy for the stretch run, its what we were all hoping for, so now its time to get down to business and take care of it !!!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05330/612829.stm

Saturday, November 26, 2005

By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers are two days away from playing the undefeated Indianapolis Colts, and for the first time in a long time, coach Bill Cowher is going to have his team close to 100 percent healthy for a game.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will make his first start since his knee was injured against Baltimore on Halloween. Linebacker James Farrior will make his first start since a knee injury against Green Bay, and offensive tackle Marvel Smith will start after missing last week's game against Baltimore with an ankle injury.

"It's good right now to look over there for the first time and not see seven or eight guys not working," Cowher said after yesterday's workout. "We've really only had two guys the last couple of days -- Charlie [Batch] and Andre Frazier -- not working. It's good to get all those guys back."

Roethlisberger has been listed as probable all week. Farrior and Smith are listed as questionable but are expected to try to play against the Colts. Offensive tackle Max Starks also is listed as probable with a knee injury.

"Marvel, Max and James, they've worked the last couple of days really," Cowher said. "They may not be 100 percent right now, but I think they'll be close to that come Monday night. They've all looked pretty good."

Cowher said the Steelers are going to need all of those players healthy to compete with the Colts.

"You're going to need everybody and even then some," Cowher said. "Good fortune, we'd like to have a little bit of that Monday night. We're trying to get some guys back. It's certainly going to be a challenge playing the best team in football."

Back options

Cowher has one of the deepest offensive backfields in the league with Willie Parker, Jerome Bettis, Duce Staley and Verron Haynes. Parker and Bettis have played most of the time in the base offense with Haynes playing as the third-down back.

Staley, the starter last season, has played in just three games and was inactive for last week's game against Baltimore. But he could be called upon to play a role against the Colts.

"It's good to have those guys," Cowher said. "We'll utilize them and make good decisions come Monday night. It is good to have Jerome and Duce healthy and ready to go. This is the type of game where we're going to need everybody."

Logan healthy, too

Reserve defensive back Mike Logan is hoping to play for the first time since his hamstring was injured Oct. 23 against Cincinnati. Logan practiced all week and is probable for the Colts game.

"I have no idea what my role is going to be, but whatever it is, any way I can get on the field to help the team," Logan said. "I had a real good week of practice. I was able to move around a little bit. I was testing myself to go out there full speed. Whatever it is, special teams, offense, defense, however I can get on the field, I'll just be elated to get out there."
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 02:34 AM   #2
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508
Default Re: We're finally getting healthy

well this is great news that farrior will be back, he may not be the greatest against the pass but he's a big part of the d and a good leader. and the same for big ben we really need him cause without him we are on the level of the texans. hopefully there won't be to much rust cause we can not afford to get off to a slow start or it'll be over before it even started
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 07:20 AM   #3
steeler47
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 663

Well I agree but KFFL seems to think we are in bad shape.............

Pittsburgh Steelers at Indianapolis Colts

Colts DEs Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis vs. the beat-up Steelers' offensive line
The re-emergence of QB Ben Roethlisberger (knee) will make it more difficult for opposing pass rushers to sack the Steelers' quarterback, but for the offense to be at peak efficiency, Roethlisberger must get time to find his receivers (some of whom are having problems getting open). Mathis and Freeney have combined for 17 sacks in 10 games (an NFL-high 10 for Mathis), and he will be going against ORT Max Star who is not having a great season. On the other side, the explosive Freeney will have for his victim either rookie third-round draft pick Trai Essex or injured Marvel Smith at left tackle. If the Colts' pass rushers take the struggling Steelers' offense out of its rhythm, the game will get out of hand early and the Steelers will depart Indianapolis as a second-place team. The play of Essex and Starks and veteran C Jeff Hartings, whose knee is acting up again, will determine the outcome of this game Monday night.
Steelers' Blitzburgh defense vs. Colts QB Peyton Manning
The Steelers love Manning historically makes blitzes pay. The Bengals tried to blitz Manning early on and it wasn't too effective. If Pittsburgh is able to rattle Manning, the Colts will resort to maximum protection and keep two tight ends on the field. Don't be surprised if WR Brandon Stokley and/or TE Dallas Clark are counted upon early to expose the middle of the field.
Colts RB Edgerrin James vs. Steelers' run defense
James knows the yards will be hard to come by. The Steelers are the best against the run per carry and it's not by accident. They've always been stingy, making teams beat them with the pass. But have enough weapons and are smart when they run James, so don't be surprised if he gets his. It will probably be one of those games where James ends up with a decent total, but because of a higher carry count because the Colts will use him to manage the clock and wear down the Steelers defense.
Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger vs. Colts' pass rush
The Colts haven't had much of a rush in recent weeks, falling to third in sacks with 32, but Roethlisberger has been hit a few times this season and may be rusty coming back after three weeks off. If the Colts fail to pressure him, don't be at all surprised if the Steelers win this game because they'll be Colts' run defense. Giving Roethlisberger an open field could make the difference. The Steelers are 5-1 with him this season and 2-2 without

The PITTSBURGH STEELERS...2006 WORLD CHAMPIONS !!!
steeler47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

I'm glad we're getting Logan back in addition to Ben, Marvel, and Farrior. I think he's a really solid player, and you gotta root for the hometown guy :P
Old 11-26-2005, 01:39 PM   #5
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Dungy wasn?t surprised to learn that second-year quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is expected to start for Pittsburgh this week after missing three games recovering from a knee injury. Roethlisberger is 19-2 overall and 18-1 in regular-season play as the Steelers? primary signal caller.

?They play close games, and they have a sense when he?s in there that he?s going make the plays that are going to win the close games. That?s really the difference. They?ve had a couple of close games with the others guys in that they haven?t pulled out that I?m sure they feel like they would have won if he was in there,? Dungy said.

link........... http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journal...s/13262810.htm