Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-27-2005, 02:08 AM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Question Time for Field Turf ?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05331/613102.stm

Theres a good article about it for your reading enjoyment..

But w/ all the abuse the natural grass surface takes, even w/ the special grass masters weave it has, wouldnt field turf be a more logical way to go from a financial standpoint?

We all love to see mud and dirt and playing football the way its meant to be, but field turf is the next best thing.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:12 AM   #2
SalukiSteelers
Starter

Location: Live in Carbondale, IL, USA, home of the SIU Salukis.
Member Number: 844
Default Re: Time for Field Turf ?

As much as it pains me as a purist, I think you're right about the fiels turf. How many times have you seen Steelers slip on sloppy grass? Especially after the WPIAL goes to Heinz Field.
SalukiSteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 09:01 AM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Bouchette's point that natural grass surface has no business in the northeast is true. Even stadiums that dont get as much of a workout as Heinz, like bengals or browns or ratbirds fields are still not up to par come december but no where near the poor quality of what our field is.

Personally I dont think the panthers should be playing in our stadium anyways...all this extra action and over use is gonna bring Heinz down before its time..but thats a story for a different thread.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Yeah it is probably the best way to go. Heinz is always such a mess
Old 11-27-2005, 01:24 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,809 Times in 2,684 Posts

Personally I dont think the panthers should be playing in our stadium anyways...all this extra action and over use is gonna bring Heinz down before its time..but thats a story for a different thread.[/QUOTE]

As far as Heinz Field being "our" (aka the Steelers) stadium, a big chunk of the stadium was funded by the taxpayers (not all of whom are Steelers fans), not the Rooneys. My recollection is that part of the funding deal was that Pitt (another taxpayer supported institution) got to play at Heinz since Pitt Stadium was worn out.

While the Rooneys profess to be thrilled to have the opportunity to have the field chewed up every November by hosting 4 WPIAL games in one day, the taxpayer funding makes it highly unlikely those high school games would be moved even if the Steelers admitted it tears up the field every year and sought to move those games.

That having been said, since these non-Steeler games are not going away an artificial turf field (which the Ravens have) seems to be the way to go. Any time you get multiple use of a grass field in the fall you get a torn up field, with one example being New England's field being chewed up by soccer. I assume that is also the reason the Arrowhead field, which usually is one of the best in the league, is brown and bare between the hashmarks for the Chiefs-Pats game today.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:06 PM   #6
jtdapit
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 862

I dont agree, I mean turf is alright, but football cant end up like that, fake fields? I just dont see the rooneys having it. Its like the steelers having cheerleaders, or a mascot, or two emblems on are helmets, nope, the rooneys are old school, And I like it.

This defense could be one of the best you've seen. For a long time. - Larry Foote
jtdapit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 09:12 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,809 Times in 2,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdapit
I dont agree, I mean turf is alright, but football cant end up like that, fake fields? I just dont see the rooneys having it. Its like the steelers having cheerleaders, or a mascot, or two emblems on are helmets, nope, the rooneys are old school, And I like it.
We will see how much you like it when, as Bouchette described today, Jeff Reed slips on the slop and misses a kick that loses a playoff game or, as I fear, Ben seriously blows out his knee on Heinz Cow Pasture.

The Rooneys certainly weren't old school about lobbying (including a shameless appearance by Dan Rooney on a Monday Night game in KC the night before the first stadium funding vote was rejected in the 1990s) for the taxpayers to build them a football stadium. I hope they are equally open minded about protecting the quality of the product that has made them wealthy and quit attempting to maintain a grass field when such a field cannot stand the pounding of pro, college and high schoool games in inclement weather conditions.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 09:18 PM   #8
jtdapit
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 862

your absolutly right. I still like it that we havent gone to turf, it just adds to the steelers toughness. ( Knock on wood about the jeff reed and big ben injury/missed field goal). Oh by the way. What ended jack lamberts career in three rivers? turf toe.

Last edited by jtdapit; 11-27-2005 at 09:23 PM.
jtdapit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 09:54 PM   #9
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Field turf was discussed as a possibility when Heinz was built and if u look at the other teams that have field turf installed.. eagles, bengals, redskins, etc.. how many times have they had their grass resodded or completely new fields put in since then? none of them.

I love the natural grass surface, its awesome for the game and for history..but w/ our climate the way it is, the fact that we play a million games on it every year, it just doesnt make sense, IMO. especially for a team like the Steelers who pride themselves on good spending habits.