Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-09-2008, 11:34 PM   #1
Welcome To Smashmouth
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6038
Default Our "weak side" could be so damn dominant!!!

Now I'm not one to sit here and hate on our current, beloved, WINNING team of this current season, but I'm also not the only one with deeply-piercing eagle eyes on our boys in the black and gold either. Timmons was no less than sensational in preseason, A. Smith is lights-out when it comes to run-support and giving the fans something to get out of their seats about, and B-MAC is in my eyes the most underrated cornerback in the game (probably the starter for 75% of teams league-wide).

So what is it exactly that I'm seeing that the coaching staff isn't?? I've got nothing but praise for Lebeau, Tomlin, and Arians (other than working for the Browns :P ) but I just feel like we've got some players that are what some would call Diamonds in the Rough, but insiders like us should know damn-well its their time to shine!!!

Yes Timmons is young talent so his case is kinda-sorta understandable, but after what he's shown in Preseason he's shown me more flashes than Foote has the past 5 seasons I've been watching the Steelers. The other two have been around far too long to not be starting when the good has outweighed the bad SO VERY EVIDENTLY that it's just sad at this point. And now we don't even dress A.Smith?!??! wow.

Can't wait to watch our boys in the black and gold continue to succeed in another great nfl season, but I feel like I'm always having to scream bloody justice for a few deserving players
Welcome To Smashmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:40 PM   #2
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559
Default Re: Our "weak side" could be so damn dominant!!!

timmons is good, but foote is no slouch.. foote takes a lot of crap on here probably because he is the weakest member of a very very good starting linebacker core. i saw timmons in there a number of times on sunday, so its not like he was benched.

i think the smith benching could be a way for tomlin to send a message to him that he needs to grow up fast, or he's gone. humble him a little bit and maybe he will change his ways.

bmac is playing behind a pro bowl talented cb and a veteran who seems to have never lost a step and always gets the job done. not much you can do, just be glad we have depth at that position with bmac and gay.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:38 AM   #3
Mill Write
Water Boy

Member Number: 8844

Steelers Defense as built and maintained by the guru hisself is all about being disciplined to your role in the system. To all accounts, the system is complex and virtually nobody gets it in the first year or even two. Therefore, with Timmons, McFadden, and Smith, it is what it is. It's also why guys like Deshea and Farrior are kept on. What the coaches and fans are looking for and what they see are often two completely different things.
Mill Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:31 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I like B-MAC I would love to see him stay in the black and gold after this year I just don't know what kind of contract he will want and if we will have the money to give him.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Smith sat because he doesn't "get it", in the exact words of the coaching staff, and he will continue to sit until he "gets it". As mentioned already, our defense depends on everyone doing exactly what he is supposed to do, and Smith, for all his talent, won't play within the system.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,172 Times in 2,655 Posts

clark, foote, and deshae have all paid their dues, and earned their way into the starting line-up. all of them sat the bench and had better players infront of them who they had to beat out. (clark in washington and NY).

timmons, smith, and mcfadden will have to do the same.

heard mcfadden on sirius yesterday, and he definitely sounds like he wants to remain a steeler. ive heard several players comment on the view of coming out of the tunnel, with thousands of fans screaming and waving that towel and how they draw so much energy from it. mac said theirs probably no other sight like that in sports. he loves the steelers and i say we get him signed.

these days you need 3 starting cb's. i wouldnt be suprised to see townsend and clark offered an extension either.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

even tho they aren't starting they did get plays in on sun except for smith
the open field tackel that timmons made was great and just a glimpse of what is to come...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
even tho they aren't starting they did get plays in on sun except for smith
the open field tackel that timmons made was great and just a glimpse of what is to come...
Man, I hope you are vindicated and A Smith goes All Pro someday! Nothing I'd like more than to see the kid make good, even though I think we're fine with or without him.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
B-MAC is in my eyes the most underrated cornerback in the game
so far all i have seen from mcfadden are dance moves over routine plays and PI penalties. nothing to warrant a raise or a starting position, IMO.

Quote:
A. Smith is lights-out when it comes to run-support
smith is a FS, not SS. this is why i suggested a possible move to SS.

Quote:
And now we don't even dress A.Smith
perhaps the coaches are tired of his attitude. i also heard rumors of an injury.

timmons will start when the coaches feel he has grasped the defense. his ability to stuff the line isn't really known as of yet, but i doubt it is any worse than foote's?
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome To Smashmouth View Post
...but insiders like us should know damn-well ...
How are we insiders?

I like all 3 guys but think that the coaches are putting the team on the field that has the best chance of winning on gameday.

Smith may or may not be a headcase. Sometimes I think about him as a strong safety but then I envision late hits on the quarterback etc.
Steely McSmash is offline   Reply With Quote