Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Rooting for injuries...

Hey I'm not a proponent of cheering for someone to get hurt but this post at Steelers Fury is hilarious:

http://www.steelerfury.com/articles/...-for-Injuries/

Rooting for Injuries by Swissvale72by SteelFury!09/09/2008One might think that given my history of knee injuries, I would have more compassion, not be so cavalier about rooting for injuries to opponents of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Actually, I take the opposite tact; my injury history affords me license to root for injury with a clear conscience. It’s insufficient to suggest that one simply root for injury. It’s a more complex situation than that, hence the following analysis:

The Competitive Advantage Injury: The lone cardinal rule of rooting for injuries is to always, always, always, always, without exception, root for injuries to give the Pittsburgh Steelers a competitive advantage. There’s nothing personal; in fact, it’s the ultimate sign of respect. For example, I like Tom Brady, I have the ultimate respect for Tom Brady…and every single week, I root for Tom Brady to break his leg. Not only is it okay to root for injuries to give our Steelers a competitive advantage; I postulate that it’s required. You are less of a fan if you don’t do it.

And, please spare us the BS of not wanting to give the other team and their fans any excuses, any legitimacy to their whining. They can whine all they want, who cares, let ‘em cry. In fact, I rather enjoy it. The ONLY thing that matters are Steelers victories.

Classic rooting for injuries: The Carson Palmer injury in the ’05 WC Playoff….I was on the ceiling, howling with delight. I KNEW when he went down, no way were the Steelers losing that game. In his case, I’d like to see it happen to him again…..wimp leaves the stadium before halftime, with his team still in the lead. When I read that account in SI; I had to re-read it, then re-read it again. Way to be a leader, Carson… watch the game from the La-Z-Boy.

The Rodney Harrison injury in ‘05…..Cedric Wilson earned his year’s pay with that one, his best moment ever as a Pittsburgh Steeler. His TD catch in the AFCCG vs. Denver, and his TD against Cinci in the playoffs were close, but for my money, his ending Rodney Harrison’s season stands out.

The expatriate injury: It was March or so, of ’98. I was watching ESPN report the signing of Yancey Thigpen by the Tennessee Titans. I was filling my living room with invective & vitriol. My then 8-year old daughter, says, “Daddy, what’s wrong?” I say, ”That idiot just left the Steelers to sign with the Stupid Tennessee Titans.” She says, “Daddy, do you hope he breaks his leg?” Of course, I denied it, had to lie to my kid, said, “No Honey, and if I ever say that, I don’t really mean it.” But I do mean it….wholeheartedly!!!

I remember Chad Brown being injured….loved it!! Rod Woodson, Carnell Lake…..wished broken legs on them constantly. Neil O’ Donnell…..cast several spells on his sorry ass….’course his sorry ass was mostly on the bench after leaving Pittsburgh, so it didn’t much matter.

Leave Pittsburgh for more dough, better sushi……I don’t care…and I hope you break your leg (you may have sensed that I have a preference for broken legs as the injury of choice).

The expatriate waiver: Those Steelers that helped us win a Super Bowl, and then left for more dough…..Kimo, Randle El, Chris Hope, Peezy (even though we cut him, it was based on more dough), Clark Haggens. I don’t wish a broken leg on those guys. I do wish that they toil in obscurity for the balance of their careers though….ala Thigpen, ala O’Donnell, et al.

The waiver to the expatriate waiver: When injury to our ex-Steelers who helped us win One for the Thumb gives us a competitive advantage, then I’m all for it. Honestly, I’m starting to get sick with all the fuss over Peezy. Understand, I’m not big on favorite players…and Peezy was my favorite. But, all this BS about people continuing to root for Peezy, cheering for him at Heinz last year…BS on that!!

Tell you what I’ll do though. If Peezy again comes to Pittsburgh, and is announced in the starting lineup…if I’m there, I’ll cheer for him….I will!! He buckles up first play, I’m rooting for him to break his leg…..not contradictory at all.

My lone hesitation with that though is that I do want Peezy to break Tom Brady’s leg during his twice yearly tilts with the Pats. He can’t break Brady’s leg if his own leg’s in two.

The ass injury: Probably everyone roots for injuries to asses. Nobody felt bad when Terrell Owens broke his leg. Not much more to be said on that topic.

Limits to rooting for injuries: Some maniacal fans that I’ve encountered, particularly on the internet, feel differently about this, but I never root for a life-threatening, or a disabling injury. I bordered on saying that I don’t root for career-ending injuries…..I really don’t….but neither do I care if they happen. If Rodney Harrison had never played again, I wouldn’t much care….matter of fact, when he does play, I have to expend energy rooting for him to be re-injured. It would be more efficient, economize on my energy supply if he just remained on the shelf.

Anyway, to demonstrate my compassion, please consider….I hate Tedy Bruschi, abhor him….can’t stand the guy. He does make plays, at least he used to me, which made me hate him more. I loved when he got put on his ass during the Addai TD run to win the ’06 AFCCG. I can’t even accuse Brushchi of being an illegal from Arizona, of wading across the Rio Grande. I know he’s a Dago like me.

Oh…my compassion…almost forgot. When Bruschi came back from his stroke midway through the ’05 season, I specifically rooted for a non-stroke related injury. Some were rooting for his “heart to explode.” Not me….I was rooting for the standard broken leg on his first play back. It would’ve been great….Tedy walks onto the field to a thunderous standing ovation from the Foxboro nitwits (sports most pronounced idiots…the Pats fan, many of whom I know and am supposed to love), seconds later, he’s on the field, his leg busted in two. I even argued that a broken leg would spare him from the potentially life-threatening injury.

So….there ya have it folks, free yourself, don’t feel guilty about rooting for injuries. As a Steelers fan…..it’s more than okay, it’s your right, it’s your obligation….it’s your duty!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------

This is an excerpt from My life as a Pittsburgh Steelers Fan written by Swissvale72. The link below will take to the full document (70 pages) to read at your pleasure. A great deal of effort and memory went into this piece and we thank Swiss for sharing and taking the time to put his experiences on paper to share with other fans. Enjoy!

http://members.cox.net/steelerfury/Wer efromthetown.pdf

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,169 Times in 432 Posts
Default Re: Rooting for injuries...

Wasn't rooting for it to happen. By the same token I'm not the least bit sympathetic either. I think the notion that the "NFL needs Tom Brady" is a complete crock of shit. NOBODY is bigger than the game itself.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

too funny, folks get mad at me sometimes when i call for broken leg or to pop the guys head off. i am glad other folks share my disdain for the opponents
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Most of us will probably say we weren't rooting for Brady to get injured, but we all knew in the back of our minds that if something like this happened, it would make us go "LOL." It's one of those circumstances where no one except Patriots fans and the morons on ESPN actually feel bad about it even a little bit, and the ESPN guys probably only because they have to keep up appearances.
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

I find it hilarious, and for the most part agree with the piece.

Although it REALLY depends on the player...and I think I've really only felt this way about one player, and that's Brady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #6
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by klick81 View Post
I find it hilarious, and for the most part agree with the piece.

Although it REALLY depends on the player...and I think I've really only felt this way about one player, and that's Brady.
It's still pretty funny when things happen to loudmouth guys with an attitude (think Owens, Moss, etc.). Heck, when Owens still played for the 49ers and did that thing in Dallas where instead of spiking the ball, he ran out to the 50-yard line and put it in the middle of the Cowboy star logo ... I laughed like hell when he tried to do it a second time and got his clock cleaned by a Dallas guy. I mean, he didn't get seriously hurt, but you're like, "heh. Had it coming to him."
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
It's still pretty funny when things happen to loudmouth guys with an attitude (think Owens, Moss, etc.). Heck, when Owens still played for the 49ers and did that thing in Dallas where instead of spiking the ball, he ran out to the 50-yard line and put it in the middle of the Cowboy star logo ... I laughed like hell when he tried to do it a second time and got his clock cleaned by a Dallas guy. I mean, he didn't get seriously hurt, but you're like, "heh. Had it coming to him."
That Dallas "guy" was Emmitt Smith. That was classic.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

The only player I root for to get injured is Ray Lewis. I root for him to become a parapalegic. SOB should be sitting in a jail cell, not making millions playing football.

As for Tom Brady's injury, it was karma. Karma for Spygate, karma for the other cheating aspects, karma for Brady constantly being questionable with a shoulder injury that nobody knew anything about.

Do I feel bad for Tom Brady? I do, mostly because it killed my fantasy team. Do I feel bad for the Patriots? Hell no, I wish their team plane would crash into the Atlantic ocean.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

ray lewis and jerramy stevens can drop dead for all i care. they should both be rotting in prison instead of making millions playing a game.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
Hell no, I wish their team plane would crash into the Atlantic ocean.

LOL...you don't mean that. Football isn't THAT big of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote