Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-13-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default From SI Online: Woodley Busts Out

Woodley busts out

Lost in the Steelers' blowout victory over the Texans was the breakout performance of LaMarr Woodley.

The second-year standout finished with three tackles, a sack, and an interception in the opener; and flashed outstanding versatility as an edge player in the Steelers' 3-4.

"He was a beast," said an AFC scout who witnessed the performance. "He was all over the place, and they appeared to have no answer for him."

Woodley, the team's second round pick in 2007, was making his first start at outside linebacker, and he picked up where he left off last season. As a rotational player, Woodley played about 15 snaps per game last season, but finished the year with four sacks. His potential was so enticing the team elected to let last season's starter (Clark Haggans) leave during free agency.

"You could see his potential in the limited reps that he received last season," said an AFC scout. "Although he played far fewer snaps than Haggans, he still matched his production while adapting to a new position. So you knew that he had the potential to be a special player if he had the chance."

Although Woodley starred as a defensive end at Michigan, scouts were concerned about his size as a pro defensive end, and downgraded him in spite of his stellar collegiate career. Thus, the Steelers were able to nab a first round talent in the middle of the second round and bring an added dimension to their pass rush.

As one of the biggest linebackers in Steelers' history, Woodley poses a problem for teams attempting to block him with a running back in pass protection. He overpowers them with his strength, and is always at an advantage when he comes off the open side. He also flashes enough athleticism to occasionally drop into coverage, so he is difficult to account for when facing the Steelers' complex zone blitz scheme.

"He is going to be a problem for offenses," said an AFC scout. "He is simply too big for running backs to handle in pass pro, and his ability to turn speed into power makes him a difficult for offensive linemen. When he gets it all figured out, he is going to be something special."
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Re: From SI Online: Woodley Busts Out

Quote:
"You could see his potential in the limited reps that he received last season," said an AFC scout....

As one of the biggest linebackers in Steelers' history, Woodley poses a problem for teams attempting to block him with a running back in pass protection. He overpowers them with his strength, and is always at an advantage when he comes off the open side. He also flashes enough athleticism to occasionally drop into coverage, so he is difficult to account for when facing the Steelers' complex zone blitz scheme."
Four sacks in limited play as a rookie last year.....The more I watch Woodley, the more I think the sky is the limit for this guy!

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Woodley, the team's second round pick in 2007, was making his first start at outside linebacker, and he picked up where he left off last season. As a rotational player, Woodley played about 15 snaps per game last season, but finished the year with four sacks. His potential was so enticing the team elected to let last season's starter (Clark Haggans) leave during free agency.
240 snaps.... try like 88 snaps and including the playoff game, finished with 6 sacks. He was injured early on, he did not get 15 snaps a game.

With this guys dedication to the game, he's definetly going to be special.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,470 Times in 1,636 Posts
Smile Re: From SI Online: Woodley Busts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
Four sacks in limited play as a rookie last year.....The more I watch Woodley, the more I think the sky is the limit for this guy!
I dont think "sky's the limit" in the way of him having more upside. Woodley has a lot of experience in college and is a finished product. I think regular starting time like this year will just give him a chance to show that he was an ideal fit for a 3-4 OLB.

He can be an 8-10 sack a season guy that plays the run like a lineman and gets regular consideration for the pro-bowl. He's gonna be good, not a flashy type player, but sometimes will look like a man amongst boys. ..
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
He can be an 8-10 sack a season guy that plays the run like a lineman and gets regular consideration for the pro-bowl. He's gonna be good, not a flashy type player, but sometimes will look like a man amongst boys. ..
Cmon, El-Gonzo, "SOMETIMES"? I bet this guy had facial hair in kindergarten. I say 12+ sacks this year.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

I gotta be honest...I am as excited about this group of lInebackers, as I have been in years......and we STILL have Davis and were able to keep Humpal who I think can be a very productive ILB someday.

Woodley is fast becoming one of my favorite players on this team...I love intensity!!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

If Timmons gets on the field with Woodley and Harrison we will have the best lb corp since +he mid 90s. I am super excited for Woodleys potential. He is gonna be a superstar
Old 09-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

I'd like to see him "bust out" again against the Browns tomorrow! Send the Brownie's back to where they belong!

Off-topic...we were able to keep Humpal, did we secure Mundy?
Old 09-13-2008, 05:34 PM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,470 Times in 1,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
Cmon, El-Gonzo, "SOMETIMES"? I bet this guy had facial hair in kindergarten. I say 12+ sacks this year.
I was referring to him being powerful and discarding blockers like they are on the JV squad.

But, I remember a kid in the 5th grade that looked like Cheech Martin. Had a great stache and set of sideburns at age 10. I'm OK if Woodley gets 12 sacks. I just think he gets less being on the left side. I'm more impressed by the way he can stop the run.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I gotta be honest...I am as excited about this group of lInebackers, as I have been in years......and we STILL have Davis and were able to keep Humpal who I think can be a very productive ILB someday.

Woodley is fast becoming one of my favorite players on this team...I love intensity!!!
I hadn't heard anything. You telling me Humpals on the practice squad?

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote