Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-14-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
ricksteelers55
Team Captain

Member Number: 3104
Default Rashard Mendenhall and Mewelde Moore

First of all am I the only one who is not to thrill about the play of Mewelde Moore so far this year ? He hasnt been as effective as they said he was on 3rd down situations and hasnt been that good in ST.I honestly might be the only one but when people were bashing Najeh I always said that I loved him,and I dont see what Mewelde is doing that Najeh wasnt really.

I also wonder if Rashard is going to be use more than that or what? why did we spend a 1st rounder on that guy if it's not to use him ? Apparently they drafted him cause he was too good a player to pass on him,that's why they didnt give him at least 1 carry ? Make no mistake I loveeee willie is amazing,but if we didnt plan on using a 2nd back we could have spent our 1st rounder on a DE or DB that's my two cents

I've noticed though that Jeff Reed has improved his Kickoff a lot so far this year, I dont know what happenned but he already has something like 3 or 4 touchback so Im proud of Jeffy

anyway...let's not be too negative we're still 2-0 and we beat those clowns

bring the eagles
ricksteelers55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
Hannity_on_Holmes
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8210
Default Re: Rashard Mendenhall and Mewelde Moore

rashard is obviously not ready to play. either it is his ball handling skills or his vision, both warrant more time on the sideline.

i am curious to see how the eagles play against a top notch team like dallas.
Hannity_on_Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:50 PM   #3
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksteelers55 View Post
First of all am I the only one who is not to thrill about the play of Mewelde Moore so far this year ? He hasnt been as effective as they said he was on 3rd down situations and hasnt been that good in ST.I honestly might be the only one but when people were bashing Najeh I always said that I loved him,and I dont see what Mewelde is doing that Najeh wasnt really.

I also wonder if Rashard is going to be use more than that or what? why did we spend a 1st rounder on that guy if it's not to use him ? Apparently they drafted him cause he was too good a player to pass on him,that's why they didnt give him at least 1 carry ? Make no mistake I loveeee willie is amazing,but if we didnt plan on using a 2nd back we could have spent our 1st rounder on a DE or DB that's my two cents

I've noticed though that Jeff Reed has improved his Kickoff a lot so far this year, I dont know what happenned but he already has something like 3 or 4 touchback so Im proud of Jeffy

anyway...let's not be too negative we're still 2-0 and we beat those clowns

bring the eagles
Moore has not been used that much as the 3rd down back - he has primarily been a kick returner, along with Mendenhall. As for why Mendenhall didn't get any carries tonight, the only reason I can think of is that they didn't want to run him in those conditions given his fumbling problems. So they had Willie carry the load tonight, with a couple of carries going to Davis. As the season goes on, though, you will see Mendenhall get more carries as they try to keep Willie as fresh as possible late in the season when they play those critical games.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,803 Times in 4,078 Posts

a 1st round DE or DB wouldnt get used either. have you not watched our team. we been kickin the ass of the 2 opponents we faced. why do you wanna get rookies in there so fast?

moore hasnt fumbled yet, and a 3rd down back is just insurance if our workhorse isnt capable (willie is).
good teams dont pull their best players off the field just to show off their draft picks to the fans.

be patient. their time will come.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:53 PM   #5
ricksteelers55
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Moore has not been used that much as the 3rd down back - he has primarily been a kick returner, along with Mendenhall. As for why Mendenhall didn't get any carries tonight, the only reason I can think of is that they didn't want to run him in those conditions given his fumbling problems. So they had Willie carry the load tonight, with a couple of carries going to Davis. As the season goes on, though, you will see Mendenhall get more carries as they try to keep Willie as fresh as possible late in the season when they play those critical games.
I understand that but hey that's how you learn ...IMO

it's just that I'm a big fan of the 1-2 punch type of ground game.But again,I love willie,it's just that i think there was some play where we could have give the ball to Rashard like in the 1st half when we got nothing going during 2-3 drives

anyway,like coach chin would say

so what if we win ugly
Old 09-14-2008, 11:54 PM   #6
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Um, it's Rashard's SECOND game of his career. He's a rookie. Just a rookie. Forget the first-round draft status. He's a rookie playing behind a more than capable back in Willie Parker.

There wasn't a need for Rashard to come into the game.

As far as Mewelde Moore, same issue. There hasn't been a great need...yet. Our special teams played fantastic tonight. Moore had a nice catch against Houston, but he wasn't really needed tonight.

When we play teams like Philly, New England and Dallas, you'll see a lot more of him.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:03 AM   #7
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksteelers55 View Post
I understand that but hey that's how you learn ...IMO

it's just that I'm a big fan of the 1-2 punch type of ground game.But again,I love willie,it's just that i think there was some play where we could have give the ball to Rashard like in the 1st half when we got nothing going during 2-3 drives

anyway,like coach chin would say

so what if we win ugly
Yeah, but why rush the kid when you don't have to? Willie is more than capable of carrying the load and could be a Pro Bowler if he stays healthy. Mendenhall is going to get his carries - just be patient.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:07 AM   #8
ricksteelers55
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Yeah, but why rush the kid when you don't have to? Willie is more than capable of carrying the load and could be a Pro Bowler if he stays healthy. Mendenhall is going to get his carries - just be patient.
Yeah I understand all those points,but maybe that's because I think we have a very tough schedule and I want to be sure Willie is 100% healthy and ready to go against those teams,I dont want him to get 350+ carries this year I think it is too much for a single player if you want to have him for as many seasons as you could
Old 09-15-2008, 12:09 AM   #9
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Funny thing is we were hearing the same thing about Woodley and Timmons at this time last year. In fact, Menndehall is actually playing more at this point..

Last edited by OneForTheToe; 09-15-2008 at 12:20 AM.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:14 AM   #10
ricksteelers55
Team Captain

Yeah I know,but did you notice that I dont complain against WR Sweed not playin? maybe because I know that Willie is as important to this team as Ben is and I only want to be sure he is still in good shape when games really matter in december

but hey im just a fan,i aint no Coach Tomlin so i guess my opinion doesnt matter