Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-15-2008, 03:14 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Big Ben's injury not a problem

Big Ben's injury not a problem
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, September 15, 2008

A minor injury didn't stop Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger from playing against the Cleveland Browns. Then again, it would have taken much more than a tender shoulder to keep Roethlisberger out of the AFC North game, considering the success he's had in his home state. Going into Sunday night's game, Roethlisberger had never lost to the Browns or Bengals in Ohio. "It is something about going home and trying to win at home," Roethlisberger said. "Also, it is a little something added for Cleveland, because I think they had a pick higher than 11 during my draft." Indeed, the Browns had the sixth overall pick of the 2004 NFL Draft, and they spent it on Kellen Winslow Jr. The tight end has developed into one of the premier pass-catchers in the game, but Roethlisberger became the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl. In addition, the Findlay native has tormented Cleveland and had won all seven of his starts against the Browns going into last night. Last season, Roethlisberger threw six touchdown passes and one interception in leading the Steelers to a season sweep of their archrivals.

As expected, Bryant McFadden started at left cornerback for the Steelers in place of Deshea Townsend on Sunday night. Townsend, who has a heel contusion, did not dress for the game at Cleveland Browns Stadium. He had started 23 consecutive regular-season games prior to last night. McFadden, who is normally the nickel back, hadn't started a game since the 2006 season. With McFadden starting, second-year man William Gay served as the Steelers' No. 3 cornerback.

The Browns were missing two starters. Wide receiver Donte Stallworth didn't play because of a quadriceps injury, and safety Sean Jones missed the game with an ankle injury. Syndric Steptoe started in place of Stallworth, and Mike Adams filled in for Jones. Steptoe, a seventh-round pick by the Browns in 2007, entered the game with one career catch. In addition to Stallworth and Jones, linebacker Beu Bell, guards Ryan Tucker and Scott Young, nose tackle Ahtyba Rubin, tight end Martin Rucker and Ken Dorsey (third quarterback) were inactive for the Browns.

Rookie wide receiver Limas Sweed, a second-round draft pick, was inactive for the second consecutive game as were rookie outside linebacker Bruce Davis, a third-round pick, and offensive tackle Tony Hills, a fourth-round pick. Offensive tackle Trai Essex, who was active in the Steelers' season opener, did not dress against the Browns. Also inactive were running back Gary Russell, defensive end Orpheus Roye and Dennis Dixon (third quarterback).

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward has caught at least one pass in 148 consecutive games, which is a team record.

The Steelers and Browns punted a combined seven times in the first quarter. They had just four first downs between them in the first 15 minutes of the game.

Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel was helped off the field after hurting his calf near the end of the first quarter. He did not return to the game.

Digits

8 -- Teams on the Steelers' and Browns' schedules that made the playoffs last season.

.547 -- Combined winning percentage in 2007 of teams on the Browns' schedule.

.598 -- Combined winning percentage in 2007 of teams on the Steelers' schedule.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_588265.html
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745
Default Re: Big Ben's injury not a problem

Looks like the Training Camp roomies, Ben and Brett, will be spending some time together this week. Unfortunately, it looks to be at the steelers treatment center. I am hoping neither is hurt too bad and both are ready to go next week.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Ben seemed fine in his post game interview, but I'm sure the Steelers will be monitoring that shoulder all week and in practice. He looked a little tight throwing in the first couple of series, but soon looked like the Ben we know and love.

I hope The Deisel's calf injury is nothing serious and he can be ready to go next Sunday afternoon in Filthadelphia.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:57 AM   #4
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Quote:
"It is something about going home and trying to win at home," Roethlisberger said. "Also, it is a little something added for Cleveland, because I think they had a pick higher than 11 during my draft." Indeed, the Browns had the sixth overall pick of the 2004 NFL Draft, and they spent it on Kellen Winslow Jr.
It looks like Big Ben might hold a little grudge against the brownies for passing him up for KW Jr.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
MJ5150
Starter

Member Number: 3203

This shoulder injury is making me nervous. I can totally see this hanging around all year, or someone from the Eagles laying Ben out next week and ending his season.

-Mike
MJ5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

The shoulder is a non-issue. I don't know why people keep talking about it.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #7
MJ5150
Starter

Member Number: 3203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
The shoulder is a non-issue. I don't know why people keep talking about it.
Not trying to be confrontational....but how do you come to that conclusion? I thought Ben played great last night, but it did look to me like he was struggling on some deep throws.

-Mike
MJ5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:04 AM   #8
BurghZ0n3
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7054

watching Ben's move last night...reminds me of Favre....
Old 09-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
It looks like Big Ben might hold a little grudge against the brownies for passing him up for KW Jr.
Ahhhhh......misguided youth. He actually might have wanted to be drafted by the Browns?? .
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,168 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Ahhhhh......misguided youth. He actually might have wanted to be drafted by the Browns?? .
Kinda like the guy in your avatar. Thankfully for us, the Browns passed on them both.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote