Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-15-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers deal upstart Browns humbling dose of reality

Steelers deal upstart Browns humbling dose of reality
By Steve Wyche | NFL.com
Senior Writer

CLEVELAND -- Fresh off catching an 11-yard pass and scoring the game's only touchdown in Pittsburgh's 10-6 victory over Cleveland Sunday night, Hines Ward turned his back to the jeering Browns fans and scraped his cleats into the end zone, tossing wet turf into the rain and swirling wind behind him. A human lawn job of sorts.

"I was marking my turf," the Steelers wide receiver said.

Though the gesture was meant as retribution to fans whom Hines said spoke bad about his "mama," it also may have symbolized Pittsburgh (2-0) staking its place as the class of the AFC North. Cleveland and cross-state Cincinnati are winless in two games and Baltimore had the momentum of a season-opening victory put on hold by Hurricane Ike. Those teams are already playing catchup -- again.

Pittsburgh, at this early stage of the season, is the team to beat in the North, as it routinely is, once the trendy picks have to actually beat the Steelers to make their turf. Cleveland was the flashy pick to leapfrog the Steelers after it finished 10-6 last season and looked like a team on the rise. Cincinnati was there a few years ago, but has fallen to the wayside.

When expectations and grandeur that are so foreign to some franchises finally come calling, reality tends to set in. The supposed upstarts have to live up to the hype and motivated opponents. Often times, that's too much to bear. That's where Pittsburgh, which possesses a humble, but threatening swagger, feels it has an advantage.

"Cleveland had a great year, they have great talent, but we are the division champion from last year," Ward said. "We do have a nucleus of guys with the exception of a couple players here or there. We've been through the hard times. We know what it takes week in and week out. We don't overreact. We don't care if we don't get all the pub."

Cleveland's season hardly appears to be spiraling toward failure. It was stout against Pittsburgh's offense and it seemingly has the personnel to compete with just about any team in the NFL. Yet its mental makeup might not quite be to the level of its longtime bitter rival from Pittsburgh. For the Browns, players and even managerial personnel declared this game as a "must win" and hugely important, seeing as the Steelers had beaten them nine consecutive times before kickoff.

Now the slide has reached double digits, currently the longest consecutive games losing streak to a single opponent in the league.

It is too early to declare Pittsburgh the class of the AFC, with New England, Buffalo, Tennessee and Denver bursting out the gates, and Indianapolis and the New York Jets poised to get rolling once their perennial Pro Bowl quarterbacks get re-acclimated. Yet, here the Steelers are again, knocking on the door of AFC supremacy.

The defense is what is seemingly always is: tough, smart, physical and opportunistic. In two games, the Steelers have allowed 23 points, recorded seven sacks and nabbed four interceptions, including two against the Browns, with safety Troy Polamalu's pick of a Derek Anderson pass near Pittsburgh's end zone at the end of the first half spoiling Cleveland's best chance at a touchdown.

Offensively, tailback Willie Parker has gone over 100 yards in both games, totaling 243 rushing yards and three touchdowns. He's been so dependable, the Steelers didn't even bother putting rookie first-rounder Rashard Mendenhall in the backfield against the Browns.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been reliable and steady (25-of-33, 323 yards, three touchdowns in two games), as usual, even though he has an undisclosed right (throwing) shoulder injury that coach Mike Tomlin said the team is monitoring. Tomlin would not confirm or deny a report by NBC that Roethlisberger suffered a shoulder separation after being sacked in the season opener against Houston.

Pittsburgh's receiving options are getting better now that Santonio Holmes is a big-play complement to Ward. The Steelers' major question mark, their offensive line, is coming around, as Parker's rushing total proves. Pass protection is still an issue but Tomlin is confident the unit will figure it out soon.

Where there is concern is in the return game, although the high wind and rain in Cleveland provided ample excuses for things being a relative mess.

"We aren't going to apologize for our blemishes" Tomlin said about his team's far-from-flawless performance against Cleveland. "Our guys hung tough and played off each other. I like the resiliency of the men."

The biggest difference between Pittsburgh and its opponents thus far -- and likely down the road -- is the Steelers' penchant for making plays when they have to, players say. The two interceptions and Ward's touchdown after he dropped a scoring pass the previous play were the most noticeable examples of execution Sunday night.

However, equally -- if not more -- important were a pair of 19-yard gains (a completion from Roethlisberger to tight end Heath Miller and a run by Parker) in the final three minutes, resulting in clock-eating first downs and effectively sealing the victory.

There also was a 31-yard completion from Roethlisberger to Ward late in the third quarter, which Roethlisberger uncorked from his own end zone to Ward, who caught the ball near the sideline on the Pittsburgh 33. It dug the Steelers out of a very bad field-position hole, a highly important fact in a game played in a relative quagmire.

Ninety minutes before kickoff, Roethlisberger stood in nearly the same spot in the same end zone -- baseball hat on backward -- and repeatedly threw that pass to a team employee in a golf shirt and khakis at the 30-yard line. When it came time to make a play under pressure, it wasn't unfamiliar.

The same could be said if the Steelers continue on this winning course. They've been there before, so when it's time to do it again, it won't seem new or daunting.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:51 AM   #2
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037
Default Re: Steelers deal upstart Browns humbling dose of reality

Quote:
There also was a 31-yard completion from Roethlisberger to Ward late in the third quarter, which Roethlisberger uncorked from his own end zone to Ward, who caught the ball near the sideline on the Pittsburgh 33. It dug the Steelers out of a very bad field-position hole, a highly important fact in a game played in a relative quagmire.
To me that was a huge play. The last play with the wind behind you before changing sides and playing back into the wind - possibly punting.

I think the steelers may also have given Crennel his first down payment on his termination payment.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I was very impressed by the Steelers ability to dig themselves out of field position holes last night. The team as a whole played smart football and no turnovers which usually always equates a win.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890

Quote:
Offensively, tailback Willie Parker has gone over 100 yards in both games, totaling 243 rushing yards and three touchdowns. He's been so dependable, the Steelers didn't even bother putting rookie first-rounder Rashard Mendenhall in the backfield against the Browns.
I think Tomlin wasnt taking a chance of Mendy fumbling in the rain.
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

It's definetly good to be 2-0 while two of our division opponents are 0-2. It's still early in the season, and with this schedule, every game is a must win.

Let's just hope the Brownies are their old selves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,821 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
To me that was a huge play. The last play with the wind behind you before changing sides and playing back into the wind - possibly punting.

I think the steelers may also have given Crennel his first down payment on his termination payment.
Scary thing is what if they let Grimace ride it out until the end of the year, can him and try to hire Cowher next season??
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,912 Times in 2,994 Posts

from all the time he spent with the steelers in camp pat kirwan knew the steelers were pissed with all the talking heads writing the steelers off and slobjobbing the browns. although the players dont really talk about it publicly "there was an agenda to serve notice to the emerging cleveland browns".
Old 09-15-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Scary thing is what if they let Grimace ride it out until the end of the year, can him and try to hire Cowher next season??

That's quite possible. I can definitely see the Browns pursuing Cowher.

It's funny that mentioned Cowher, I was thinking of him when Roethlisberger threw the long pass from the endzone, I said to myself, Cowher never would have allowed that play to be called, it would have been 3 runs up the middle and punt. That conservative approach probably would have cost them the game. Bravo Tomlin!
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Ninety minutes before kickoff, Roethlisberger stood in nearly the same spot in the same end zone -- baseball hat on backward -- and repeatedly threw that pass to a team employee in a golf shirt and khakis at the 30-yard line. When it came time to make a play under pressure, it wasn't unfamiliar.
I am surprised no one caught this part of the article.

Premonition? Doubt it. Just good preperation. It says a whole lot about our QB, and should finally put the rest any lingering questions about Ben's "work ethic"
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

I was caught between being impressed by your teams management/coaching and pissed at our lack of it.

It was a hard fought game and it's a shame that the Browns players had to suffer from bad coaching. I'm not saying that we would have beaten you guys without the time management (or lack thereof) at the end of the first half/game...but it very much cost us any shot at winning.