Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-16-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default The Browns Have Gone Off the Deep End

Sportwriter calls for mass exodus onto Steelers bandwagon:

http://www.ohio.com/sports/28438799.html

Forget Browns angst: Go with Steelers
Coach Crennel leaves self open to question
By Patrick McManamon
Beacon Journal sports columnist

Published on Tuesday, Sep 16, 2008
Adopt the Steelers.
Embrace them. Mentally, at least. Bring them into the family and accept them and deal with them as part of your life.
Because the Browns have not given anyone a reason to embrace them, not since their return in 1999.
The Browns have had two good seasons. They reached the playoffs once, then a month later they blew up the team and that was the end of that.
Last season, the Browns went 10-6 and raised hopes for this year. Contract extensions were given out like Halloween candy.
Now, self-adoring ''stars,'' injuries, poor play, lack of depth and some downright inexplicable in-game decisions have the Browns losers of two games in a row at home.
This team that wanted to be an elite team?
It got embarrassed, twice, and showed an amazingly shallow recognition of some fundamental facts.

Let's consider one play and yes, there are many from which to pick and that's the fake onside/bloop kickoff following the field goal that made the deficit Sunday night against the Steelers 10-6.
The Browns did not line up properly. League rules call for at least four guys on each side of the ball. It's a safety thing.
The Browns didn't have the correct number.
This had to be something they practiced, prepared and planned on using.
Which means they didn't line up right through their preparations.
The Steelers, meanwhile, showed a clear understanding of the rules. When the Steelers saw the bloop kick, they signaled for a fair catch, a smart play that takes away the possibility of the kickoff team blowing up the receiver and recovering a fumble.
Adopt the Steelers.
Make them . . . ahem . . . ummm . . . yours? Heck, they do play the game the way the team in Cleveland played it a decade or two or three ago.
Just adopt the Steelers. It will eliminate all this angst about personnel and coaching decisions.
When coach Romeo Crennel got his contract extension in the offseason,
he said it meant he had better win this year.
I thought it was odd to be giving extensions to guys with two years left on their deal after one good year and two bad ones. But the Browns chose to do it. They have this habit of doing it, too. They gave an extension to Butch Davis after he had gone 5-11.
There's no security like coaching for the Browns.
Now people want Crennel's head. Fire him, they cry.
What sense does it make to fire a guy after you've extended his contract, and how in the world would it help to start over again? Again?
Crennel is the team's coach, and barring further meltdown, which does appear possible, he will be the coach in December and January.
After the season, who knows?
But that doesn't mean the coach has not left himself open to question. He has had three important times to choose between a field goal or a first down in the first two games, and every time he chose the opposite of the way I would have chosen.
The decision against the Cowboys, going for a field goal down 21 with 10 minutes left, I can't defend.
The decision at the end of the half against the Steelers? I disagree, but another football guy said that a coach has to know his team, and maybe Crennel felt that was his best chance to seize the momentum and take advantage of a scoring chance when conditions were hostile to scoring. OK, but I still would have kicked.
The decision in the fourth quarter Sunday night? OK, maybe. But bottom line is that with or without that field goal, Crennel was asking his defense to stop Pittsburgh and his offense to score a touchdown. I'd have tried for the first down.
It's a funny thing.
Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan went for two after a late touchdown Sunday, because he did not have confidence his defense could stop the San Diego Chargers in overtime.
Crennel did not go for it, because he had confidence in his defense.
Look who's the goat.
Crennel clearly is not helping his cause. And his players are not helping Crennel. They did not, as they say, have his back in either game.

We always hear that teams lose as a team. Well, the Browns have lost twice as a team. The decisions were odd. There were stupid penalties. The secondary is bereft, as is receiving depth. (The Steelers bring in Santonio Holmes, the Browns, Syndric Steptoe). The offensive line has not played up to last season's standard. The quarterback is uncertain. And the (alleged) standout wide receiver is too busy hosting celebrities and driving 120 mph to catch passes.
With the exception of Kellen Winslow and Jamal Lewis, who on the offense can be highlighted?
Enough of trying to push this rock up the hill. The Browns simply have not given anyone from the guy watching TV in the living room to the people paying for all those club seats anything on which to hang their hats.
It's time to adopt a team that plays hard, plays well and plays smart. A team that competes and understands the league and conducts itself like a real NFL team.
Adopt the Steelers.

Patrick McManamon can be reached at pmcmanamon@thebeaconjournal.com. Read his blog at http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/mcmanamon/.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: The Browns Have Gone Off the Deep End

Well, Cleveland can go back to their sewer hole where they came from. I don't want turd scum fouling up our bandwagon. The Steelers have a hard time beating Jacksonville and New England, you don't hear Pittsburgh sports writers calling for Steeler fans to jump on their bandwagons do they?

For months I've had to suffer endless barking from the puppy pound and the pundits about how great the Browns are. Now they're 0-2 with two losses at home to a good team and division rival who owns them, and last Sunday's game really wasn't as close as the score indicated.

All it takes is a few wins and they'll be right back barking some more. F the overrated Browns and F Cleveland. Bunch of soft, gutless wannabes.

Last edited by Edman; 09-16-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

All I know is that I don't want to hear another peep out of Braylon Edwards. Guy has one good year and runs his mouth all offseason about how they're going to smack down the Stillers.

He already leads the league in drops after week two and I doubt anyone will overtake him. He's soft and has been exposed.

Typical Cleveland........the best part of thier season is the part before they have to play Pittsburgh......Maybe next year the league will do them a favor and not schedule the Stillers till later so they can bask in the limelight of expectation a little longer than week two........lol
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I think the wheels fell off the Browns bandwagon on Sunday night and they're back to their perennial "there's always next year" drivel.

Sure Crennel is part of the problem, but that secondary just plain sucks, as does their O. Edwards and Winslow playing in their pre-game sandboxes flappin' those pieholes and then getting beaten like rented mules on the field. If it wasn't so pathetic, it would actually be funny.

Bottom line? You can't put silk socks on the hog that is the Cleveland Browns.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

but, but, but....

there's always next year!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
CB1977
Starter

Member Number: 6651

Yeah, I've already read this article over at the Browns forum and it's not getting rave reviews.

As for Patrick, he can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. No REAL Browns fan (or any other fan) would jump ship because their team keeps losing. That's a bandwagon fan and those fans aren't real.

Patrick? We don't need you.
CB1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

well cle plays balt and then cincy... so these could be easy games for the browns to bounce back from... buty we'll have to wait and see.. but the ravens are prob ancy about not playing last week

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1977 View Post
Yeah, I've already read this article over at the Browns forum and it's not getting rave reviews.

As for Patrick, he can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. No REAL Browns fan (or any other fan) would jump ship because their team keeps losing. That's a bandwagon fan and those fans aren't real.

Patrick? We don't need you.
We in the Steelers Nation shall embrace and welcome you with open arms. Join us and it will all feel better.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
CB1977
Starter

Member Number: 6651

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
We in the Steelers Nation shall embrace and welcome you with open arms. Join us and it will all feel better.
Are you referring to me or Patrick?
CB1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #10
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
We true fans of the Cleveland Browns do not accept. I challenge you to an honor du-ell.
There will be no jumping of the ship.
There will be no whiney babies.
Our coach, this season, has been a complete buffoon.
He is still my coach, because he is the coach of my team.

There are 14 weeks left. The next two are division games. This should enable us to be 2-2 and being to right the off-kilter ways of the man who is trying to resemble a severely tanned Mike Holmgren.