Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #1
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default Here's to FWP

Here's an article on Willie that even ProvidenceSteel would appreciate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/19/sp...ll&oref=slogin

You've got to love Willie!! I have been critical of Willie in the past, right along with ProvSteel, but I do realize that he is a great guy and great Steeler. True team player and leader by example!!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
RunWillieRun
Team President

Member Number: 3226
Default Re: Here's to FWP

Nice article. Willie is all class.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
Here's an article on Willie that even ProvidenceSteel would appreciate.
Unless it tries to point out how Willie "shouldn't be a starting RB at the NFL level," doubtful.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
DACEB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Unless it tries to point out how Willie "shouldn't be a starting RB at the NFL level," doubtful.
Hey, like I said, I've been right there with ProvSteel at times criticizing Willie. I must admit though that Willie has shown a huge desire to improve every aspect of his game. The hard work and dedication he has to his craft has shown on the field with improved vision, power running, patience with his blocks and holding on to the ball.

Can't be said enough, a true team player that leads by example!!
Old 09-19-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
steel#1
Water Boy

Member Number: 3322

I have always been critical of FWP but I have seen the constant progress and work ethic since he has been in Pitt. FWP has now come into his own. He is a complete back because now he can get the tough yards in the middle of the field since he learned patience, keep the legs driving, and use your leverage. The thing that now ticks me off is that he doesn't get the credit he deserves around the league. They are still seeing only the speed and not the power. Much like Ben and the game-manager label they refuse to acknowledge what he has become and still only see what he was. Both have grown and become a complete back and a complete QB. Oh well the lack of respect just means that both have an advantage.
steel#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Hey, like I said, I've been right there with ProvSteel at times criticizing Willie.
Not quite, DACEB - please give yourself a little more credit than that.

Valid criticism:

Quote:
Prov. is absolutely correct in stating the FACT that the fumbles are a problem, I don't understand how anyone can deny that. To those that don't think it's a problem I would ask, how many fumbles a season is acceptable?? Let's ask coach Tomlin,

"You don't like fumbles," Tomlin said. "You don't like fumbles in the red zone, but he is a competitor. I understand that it happens, but we are not going to accept it. We are going to try to be perfect in this area. We have to be."

There you have it, fumbling is in fact unacceptable. Now don't get me wrong, I too believe FWP has tremendous upside and as some have stated is still a little green with limited experience. FWP is indeed an important part of our bright future but the fumbles are a problem and need to be addressed.

As Steelman stated this is a problem that can be corrected (i.e. Barber). FWP only needs to watch tape of Bettis, because the Bus always carried the rock correctly, up tight in your armpit. Yet even Bettis fumbled as we know!!

Bitching simply for the sake of bitching:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence Steel View Post
This guy has fumbled away games in the past and he's doing it again albeit in preseason. I'm stating now that the Steelers will loose games this season...important games, as a result of badly timed Willie Parker fumbles. I don't like the guy as the starting back. Too small and fumbles WAY too much. I have a BAD feeling again about the RB situation this season.
There's a HUGE difference between these two posts from where I'm sitting. How many games did Willie actually lose singlehandedly through fumbling for us last year after Nostradamus here predicted he would? I count ZERO. Which is also why, as Prov himself pointed out in another thread, he shut his mouth about Willie after about week 6 last year - because he was dead wrong.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

Man, that's a great story. It sounds like Willie and his father have a great relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
DACEB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by klick81 View Post
Man, that's a great story. It sounds like Willie and his father have a great relationship.
His father must be very proud indeed. He must constantly brag about his son, and show off his rings. He definetly instilled good values and great character in his son.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890

I agree with DACEB FWP has improved as a an NFL RB. I use to think he didnt have the skill set to read the blocks correctly but now I am thinking the downside to his not playing in college was the honing of those skills at a higher level(high school to college). The way he runs now makes me believe he already had the skills but just had to get his senses back with more competition.
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #10
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,303 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I have seen a big differance in Willie this year it looks like he is hitting the holes harder an faster.He may also be afraid that Mendenahll will get his job if he don't performe.