Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Observation on Carson Palmer

I'm working today, so I can only type and run...

In today's SI Online, Bucky Brooks is writing about Palmer's lack of confidence, and is making the excuse for him that "[s]ome of the blame for Palmer's woes can be attributed to nagging injuries plaguing his two Pro Bowl receivers (T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chad Johnson). Both players missed significant time during the preseason, and the lack of chemistry has been apparent during the first two games."

Excuse me?

Isn't this supposed to be the guy who makes the receivers good rather than the other way around?

For all the Brady-hate here and around the league, no one has ever questioned Tom Brady's ability to win regardless of who was catching the ball. Brady is the guy who made Wes Welker a star. Brady made that bug-eyed guy, Reese Caldwell, a star. Brady doesn't care WHO lines up wide right, he's going to win. Geez, that's part of the reason to hate on him!

Carson Palmer has always impressed me as a guy with great tools who can get the job done when everything else is running smoothly, but who falls apart when the least little thing goes wrong; he has no idea how to right the ship, he can only run it when it's already running well.

I can't hate this guy. I can only feel sorry for him, and I hope his career after football is nice and smooth, so that he doesn't have too many frustrations that would make him gnash his teeth and cry at night.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517
Default Re: Observation on Carson Palmer

It'd probably be different if he didn't play for that tiger-striped franchise in Ohio.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Palmer has always had my respect as a great QB with alot of Talent around him or i thought. It seems they are 0-2 with a team that should be 1-1 or even 2-0. There receiving core is loaded as always and Perry as a running back was suppose to be the answer.

Carson has a lack of confidence and you can see it on the field. The will come out strong, but after the posing team scores or gets a turnover Carson just kinda backs off and loses all hope. The Bengals look crazy bad and i just can't seem to point the finger many other places than Palmer.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
Blitzburgh_Fever
Starter

Member Number: 7228

Palmer's main problem is he's a USC quarterback.
Blitzburgh_Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
Avoid LLoyd1975
Starter

Member Number: 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh_Fever View Post
Palmer's main problem is he's a USC quarterback.
That and that he passionately hates the Steelers and has gone public with it. I can't feel bad for him....No way, no how. He has bad sportsmanship.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
hizmi
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8485

I think it's been his O-line that has let him down more so than the receivers.

They had a great O-line with Levi Jones and Willie anderson as the bookends and Steinbach at left guard. I don't think it's coincidence that Steinbach's departure has improved the Browns and hurt the Bengals.

--Homer
hizmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,172 Times in 2,655 Posts

the receivers have done nothing to help.

henry is on his 3rd suspension

tj missed camp w/ injury

chads threats to sit out the year, missed camp w/ 2 injuries, proved their is an "i" in team, and told carson to mind his own f'ing business.

2 rookies who have yet to be seen.

jaws made a great point when comparing cutler to leinart. cutler played at vanderbuilt w/ no receivers and was always getting hit and having to make plays. leinart (from usc) had tons of weapons around him and wasnt used to the pressure and making plays you need in the nfl.

same applies to palmer. he was coddled by talent his whole career. when it comes to crunchtime and real adversity, he simply isnt prepared.

oh, and his o-line does suck too.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
steel striker
Banned

Member Number: 7251

If Ben would have started like Palmer this year Ben would have been killed by the media but, since it is bungles we are talking about no one in the media says anything about it. It drives me crazy sometimes the year Ben has his motorcycle crash throws 23 picks and, the media beats up on Ben. When Palmer has 20 picks their excuse is that bungles are a bad team. You can't have it both ways.
steel striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:29 PM   #9
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
If Ben would have started like Palmer this year Ben would have been killed by the media but, since it is bungles we are talking about no one in the media says anything about it. It drives me crazy sometimes the year Ben has his motorcycle crash throws 23 picks and, the media beats up on Ben. When Palmer has 20 picks their excuse is that bungles are a bad team. You can't have it both ways.

exactly. that's why I have no sympathy for palmer

he has the tools to be a great qb, but he just doesn't seem up to the challenge this past two years
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:53 PM   #10
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

I don't feel sorry for Palmer.

If Ben has a poor start like that, it's because he sucks and is better suited for a Game Manager role or some bullcrap like that. In this case of Carson's ever-increasing average play that dates back to last year, it's because the team sucks?

Ben suffers a concussion, and had his face smashed on a windshield, and comes right back the next year and puts up a 32 TD Pro Bowl Season. All while having to deal with shoddy pass protection and would be lucky to have the protection Brady, Manning, and until recently, Palmer get.

Hell no, I don't feel bad one bit for Palmer.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote