Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-20-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Bill would ban teen drivers from cell phone use

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriot...050.xml&coll=1
Bill would ban teen drivers from cell phone use
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
From staff reports

The state's licensed junior drivers would not be able use their cell phones while driving under terms of a bill sponsored by the House Transportation Committee.

The bill, an effort to reduce accidents involving junior licensees, would add 15 hours to the 50 hours of practical driving experience already required, restrict the number of passengers and make not wearing a seat belt a primary offense for drivers ages 16 and 17.

"My bill would greatly reduce the distractions that cause many of those accidents and impose stricter guidelines for inexperienced teen drivers, said the committee's chairman, Rep. Joseph Markosek, D-Allegheny/Westmoreland.

The law does not prohibit drivers with learner's permits or junior licenses from using electronic devices while driving, nor are they subjected to passenger limits. "Inexperienced and carefree youth can be a deadly combination unless teen drivers are better prepared to operate a vehicle," Markosek said.

The legislation would:

# Prohibit the use of cell phones, text-messaging devices, personal digital assistants and laptop computers while driving.

# Add 15 hours of driving experience, including 10 hours after dark and five hours in bad weather.

# Restrict junior drivers to no more than one passenger younger than 18, except relatives.

# Require the state Department of Transportation to report annually on the use of wireless communication devices in motor vehicles involved in accidents.

The bill will go to the full House.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Bill would ban teen drivers from cell phone use

HEY PA CONGRESSMEN AND WOMEN! This thing about banning distracted teen driving, HOW ABOUT EXTENDING THAT TO THE REST OF THE STATE'S DRIVERS TO?!?!?

Otherwise, not a bad idea.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:44 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

They should expand it to include adults too, and make it FEDERAL law. I'm tired of these assclowns that pay more attention to their phone conversations than the road. Hang up and drive!
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I find no difference talking on a cell phone on speakerphone or the ear piece and talking to someone in the passenger seat.

If you do the voice dial... I find there is no difference.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
touchdownward
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 3188

I agree with banning cell phone use while driving for all drivers.

Me, for those occasions where I do yap on the cell while driving, I use a Blue tooth. You can set them to be totally hands free answering and calling. And in less the little lady is talking dirty to me, I'm not distracted by the conversation.

Blah!
touchdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:15 PM   #6
Havik
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8843

I think cell phone use should be banned while driving regardless of age. Then again, I don't think anyone under the age of 18 should have a drivers license anyway.
Havik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:25 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havik View Post
I think cell phone use should be banned while driving regardless of age. Then again, I don't think anyone under the age of 18 should have a drivers license anyway.
i agree.....get the little punks off the road !!! at the very least, make it so ONLY honor roll students are elegible for a drivers liscence. that'll get the dumbass, irresponsible little pukes off the road....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:03 AM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Well...

I knew a number of "honor roll" students that were irresponsible.

It is amazing what 2 general classes, 2 shop classes, and 2 electives can get you.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:18 AM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Well...

I knew a number of "honor roll" students that were irresponsible.

It is amazing what 2 general classes, 2 shop classes, and 2 electives can get you.
and there's a ton of little morons with C averages or less, with gravy schedules. at least if you dangle a carrot, that parents aren't willing to, maybe the pimple faced goobers might put fourth a little effort instead of wasting teachers time.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:24 AM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
and there's a ton of little morons with C averages or less, with gravy schedules. at least if you dangle a carrot, that parents aren't willing to, maybe the pimple faced goobers might put fourth a little effort instead of wasting teachers time.

maybe... maybe not.

I was a c- student. 1.95 average in highschool.. and that was only because I pulled some decent grades my senior year.

It had nothing to do with my intelligence...

Some people are just late bloomers...