Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-21-2008, 03:58 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Eagles RB Westbrook vs. Steelers defense

The matchup: Eagles RB Westbrook vs. Steelers defense
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, September 21, 2008

EAGLES RB BRIAN WESTBROOK: In Monday night's 41-37 loss to Dallas, Westbrook (5-foot-10, 203) had a fairly typical Brian Westbrook game. He carried 18 times for 58 yards (a 3.2 average) and two touchdowns, and caught six passes for 45 yards (a 7.5 average) and another score. In other words, he was heavily involved. The Eagles ran 64 offensive plays and Westbrook was officially credited with 24 touches. Not included in that total were a pair of botched handoffs by QB Donovan McNabb and at least one pass on which McNabb overthrew Westbrook. The Eagles like to get him the ball.

THE STEELERS' DEFENSE: In two games the Steelers' defense has yet to allow an opposing team 100 yards rushing or 200 yards passing -- or a meaningful touchdown (Houston managed a couple at garbage time in the opener). The Steelers have collected seven sacks, four pass interceptions and five total takeaways. Defensively, they're on their game. But the attrition process that gradually weakened the unit a season ago has already started to rear its ugly head. CB Deshea Townsend (heel) missed a start last Sunday night in Cleveland and DE Brett Keisel will miss one this afternoon in Philly.

THE MATCHUP: Westbrook lines up everywhere, which means just about everyone will need to get a piece of him at some point. When he's lined up at wide receiver it might be up to the cornerbacks to keep him contained. When he's in the slot it could be incumbent upon the safeties to cover him. The linebackers may be responsible for pitchouts and passes to the flat, and the rest of the front seven will need to keep an eye on him as McNabb play-actions on his way back to the pocket. If anyone blinks Westbrook may well be able to add to his NFL-high total of five TDs. He'll pressure the Steelers' defense all game long. EDGE: WESTBROOK

LAST WEEK: QB Derek Anderson wasn't a disaster, but he never did get the Browns into the end zone in a 10-6 Steelers victory. SS Troy Polamalu's interception inside the 5-yard line at the end of the first half was critical, and Anderson was also picked off by CB Bryant McFadden. EDGE: STEELERS

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_589336.html
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Re: Eagles RB Westbrook vs. Steelers defense

Quote:
THE MATCHUP: Westbrook lines up everywhere, which means just about everyone will need to get a piece of him at some point. When he's lined up at wide receiver it might be up to the cornerbacks to keep him contained. When he's in the slot it could be incumbent upon the safeties to cover him. The linebackers may be responsible for pitchouts and passes to the flat, and the rest of the front seven will need to keep an eye on him as McNabb play-actions on his way back to the pocket. If anyone blinks Westbrook may well be able to add to his NFL-high total of five TDs. He'll pressure the Steelers' defense all game long. EDGE: WESTBROOK
Westbrook AND McNabb. What a punch.... Today may be a true indicator of how good our defense really is. Call me a homer, but regardless, I still have a good feeling.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,567 Times in 1,508 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Westbrook is a really good running back he has it all and if we can contain him we will have a good shot at beating them.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i think this is the game that b mac and gay steps up as deshea is out again i beleive... but we might need to have 3 cb's on the field at all time just to cover westbrook.. unless timmons is fast enough to cover him

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

I hate the Crows.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Bend don't break. Make them earn every fresh set of downs. Make them execute. That's how you beat a team like Philly's offense.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,939 Posts

Quote:
i dont know if he getts the edge here. we have 4 lb's who'm im comfortable covering him in zone. if were in nickel defense our 5th lb (timmons) is more than capable of matching his speed.

if matched up on a safety, its not like he will be up agains roy williams. troy polamalu is a huge difference at SS and ryan clark is up for the task. its unfortunate deshea is out , but im not scared if gay or mcfadden get isolated on him and ike will be there to make a tackle.

our defense is better than the defense that shut down ladainin tomlinson the last 2 times we faced the chargers. we are built to be able to handle a rb like westbrook.

advantage- steelers

im more worried about lj smith.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i dont know if he getts the edge here. we have 4 lb's who'm im comfortable covering him in zone. if were in nickel defense our 5th lb (timmons) is more than capable of matching his speed.

if matched up on a safety, its not like he will be up agains roy williams. troy polamalu is a huge difference at SS and ryan clark is up for the task. its unfortunate deshea is out , but im not scared if gay or mcfadden get isolated on him and ike will be there to make a tackle.

our defense is better than the defense that shut down ladainin tomlinson the last 2 times we faced the chargers. we are built to be able to handle a rb like westbrook.

advantage- steelers

im more worried about lj smith.
I'm more worried about Santa Claus in that stadium!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
Westbrook is a really good running back he has it all and if we can contain him we will have a good shot at beating them.

We have to contain him and McNabb. Westbrook is very good coming out of the backfield where we seem to have trouble covering. Lewis and the Browns had there best time moving the ball doing that.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Westbrook is the best running back we will face this year and our first real test. I feel containing him in the running game will fare well on our side, but as for containing him in the pass game when he spreads out is a different story, that is our true test.

As well we must contain Mcnabb, pressure him, force him to move and most of all SACKS! His line has done good so far and our defense is nothing they have saw this year and our defense can truly make a difference in the outcome.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote