Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-22-2008, 04:04 AM   #1
NewCastle_Steel
Banned

Member Number: 9479
Angry Larry Zierlein...

Hey guys and girls whats up? This is my first post to the SFF. Now I promise you that I am not one to call for peoples heads every time something goes wrong, BUT...I seriously believe Zierlein need to go NOW!

It is true we don't have the most talented offensive line, but these are still professional football players. The play was so bad that you have to think if we had better O-Line coaching they should have played somewhat better than that.

I remember hearing that Zierlein has a different style of coaching the Grimm did. They said Grimm was more a physical coach and Zierlein came in and started teaching "proper technique first". Well...anyone watching the game last night can see that both physicality and technique were both lacking as well as any type of coaching and preparation.

Our offensive play calling was absolutely garbage too, but the O-Line play was pathetic, embarrassing, novice-like, and non existent.

I love my Steelers, but Zierlein needs to go!

Go Steelers!!!
NewCastle_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:30 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,897 Times in 1,634 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Larry Zierlein...

I think our play calling was ok Ben just didn't have enough time to let receivers run their routes as for Zierlein he may not be what we need but our offensive line needs help but they did play against a very good deffense also.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:38 AM   #3
NewCastle_Steel
Banned

Quote:
but they did play against a very good deffense also.
A defense that did not get a sack against Dallas. I understand they are a good defense but there is no excuse for this type of play in the nfl.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCastle_Steel View Post
A defense that did not get a sack against Dallas. I understand they are a good defense but there is no excuse for this type of play in the nfl.
They didnt get a sack in Dallas because they didnt blitz Dallas that much. Why? Because the Eagles respected Tony Romo's ability to get rid of the ball quickly. They were right in not respecting Big Bens ability to get rid of the ball quickly.
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,382 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedap View Post
They didnt get a sack in Dallas because they didnt blitz Dallas that much. Why? Because the Eagles respected Tony Romo's ability to get rid of the ball quickly. They were right in not respecting Big Bens ability to get rid of the ball quickly.
Not to mention Dallas actually has an OL that can block.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedap View Post
bingo.. i think ben was exposed more than the oline. he needs to start getting his reads down for his own safety.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,382 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
bingo.. i think ben was exposed more than the oline. he needs to start getting his reads down for his own safety.
So, the fact that there were 2-3 (usually unblocked) guys right in Ben's face almost as soon as he took the snap was his fault due to his slow reads?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:29 AM   #8
roostermcw
Water Boy

Member Number: 2093

Amen to that. Ben has got to learn to read the blitz and get rid of the ball quicker. Stop all the pump fakin' crap and throw the ball. Under Zierlein they have given up a ton of sacks. Something needs to be done and I hope Tomin has the insight to see that and make the changes necessary.
roostermcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #9
tyler289
Team Captain

Member Number: 9049

It's tough to make a read when you have at least 1 blitzer coming untouched at you. As soon as he'd make his drop he'd be hit or under pressure. He can read the blitz but it doesn't help if the offensive line gets beat non-stop.

I expected more quick passes (screens) but they never materialized. With the Eagles secondary, I doubt it would've worked.
tyler289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:38 AM   #10
NewCastle_Steel
Banned

Quote:
I noticed that when Leftwich came in he seemed to get rid of the ball quickly at first...and then the next thing you know he is on his @$$ just like Ben was.

Once Ben realized the pressure on EVERY Single Down because of the lack of O-Line, yes he got jittery. I don't care if you have Marsha Brady back there, with a line that played more like a set of swinging doors than a nfl offensive line, your QB is going to lose confidence and that can effect making reads. The receivers were covered and they couldn't even run their routs for looking back to see if Ben was sacked AGAIN.