Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-29-2005, 08:50 AM   #1
Rush58
Starter

Member Number: 516
Default So are we going to develop our qb now?

15 attempts a game on 3rd downs will not cut it. I wonder how far a long would Carson Palmer be in our offense right now? Smashmouth football doesn't win in the modern era. Sure, it will get us 10 or 12 wins b/c we can play defense and run it fairly ok, but when we play a team that can score some points, we can't compete. Why? B/c we don't have a qb? No, b/c our philosophy is deciding it for us. We are just wasting a good young qb with a bunch of conservative playcalling. I am amazed Big Ben has played this well with the lack of attempts he's been given. Plaxico, the guy who I hate, said it best, "I was drafted to play wide receiver, not running back." Well, Cowher, Big Ben was drafted in the 1st round to throw the damn ball, not hand it off!

BTW, this topic is not about last night's game. I am looking at the big picture. If we are going to get to the Super Bowl, we have to become a balance team. That means we have to develop Big Ben.

Last edited by Rush58; 11-29-2005 at 08:54 AM.
Rush58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
Eztarget
Starter

Member Number: 162
Default Re: So are we going to develop our qb now?

Well you need to start by replacing the turnstyles that are blocking for him. As big as some of those guys are the tiny but quick Colts D-linemen were making them their b!tches ALL NIGHT!

If you can't run the ball against a small team like the Colts on the road you ain't winning the big games.

Cowher will always be that "good" coach that gets you near the mountain but NEVER climbs it.

Onside kick in a 9 point game?

QB draw on 4th and 4 with a QB coming off knee surgery?

STUPID, STUPID!
Eztarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

So goes our OL, so goes Ben, so goes the running game.. it all starts w/ the 5 guys up front who just are not getting it done.

I have no problems w/ Ben's progression as a QB..when he has a time and an OL to block for him he's as good as it gets and does what we need to win. He's proved that since he became the starter..but w/ no running game and no blocking, even peyton manning wouldnt be doing any better.. its true.. manning has a running game and an OL to keep the pressure off him, thats why he generally stays in the pocket, its his forte and he can afford to do it w/ his OL playing well.

It doesnt matter who you are, if ur not getting protection, ur not doing anything.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 03:52 PM   #4
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I agree we should pass more! But trying to run and control the clock, is the right game plan agaist a team like the Colts. It didn`t work for us because we didn`t play well.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

We need to draft an o-lineman in the first round this year,IMHO.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 05:21 PM   #6
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

we need to draft a good running back in the first round cause after bettis retires we don't have no one on the roster that can carry the load all season. then i say in the second round draft oline......anyway i hate cowher i'm tired of holding it in......... i know a few of y'all like him but i don't see how, i just can't be satisfied with a nice regular season record, i rather sneak into the playoffs and win it all then dominate all season long and do what cowher does best and choke in the big games. they need to start using big ben the way he's supposed to be used, handing it off ain't gonna win us shit but regular season games
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 05:37 PM   #7
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I want a big time WR in the first round. And a fast lb in the second. We have to be able to get a good FA olinemen
Old 11-29-2005, 06:25 PM   #8
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

I want Larry Johnson in a Steeler uniform next year, and I want a WR in the first round, a RG in the 2nd and a DL in the 3rd...
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:06 PM   #9
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

well the way larry johnson is playing the way priest holmes keeps breakin himself, we have as much of a chance of getting him as maddox has of not throwing an int
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:28 PM   #10
steelcityjameser
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 827

i don't think "not developing the qb" is the major concern for the steelers. come on, look at his career record; he is coming along fine. it is the qb's best friend and the cornerstone of any great offense that we are having problems in developing: the offensive line. last night it seemed more glaring to me than ever. the offensive line could not pass block, they could not run block, THEY were getting pancaked! the last 3 weeks we blamed the sluggish offense on the backup qb's. i wanted to believe that maddox was sacked because of his immobility and his passes were rushed b/c of his failure to recognize the defenses. this week we didn't have that excuse. pathetic. this issue must be addressed before we develop into the offense that we need to be.