Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-29-2005, 11:11 PM   #11
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618
Default Re: So are we going to develop our qb now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
I want Larry Johnson in a Steeler uniform next year, and I want a WR in the first round, a RG in the 2nd and a DL in the 3rd...
you keep saying you want larry johnson.
which i would love being a big penn state fan, but what makes you think the chiefs are going to give him up???
Old 11-30-2005, 12:29 AM   #12
StillerPaul
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eztarget
Well you need to start by replacing the turnstyles that are blocking for him. As big as some of those guys are the tiny but quick Colts D-linemen were making them their b!tches ALL NIGHT!

If you can't run the ball against a small team like the Colts on the road you ain't winning the big games.

Cowher will always be that "good" coach that gets you near the mountain but NEVER climbs it.

Onside kick in a 9 point game?

QB draw on 4th and 4 with a QB coming off knee surgery?

STUPID, STUPID!

AGREED!

This is an excellent thread, BTW. It is EXTREMELY frustrating watching this outright stubborness to try and establish the running game at ALL costs. The old cliche "known passing situations" comes to mind here. I simply cannot believe that we can't adjust our passing game for a D like that. Then to top it off by running when they are thinking run then brilliantly passing when they are thinking pass just really boils my blood.

I wasn't expecting us to go in there and win. But i was, however, expecting us to at least show up. To get so utterly out-played and out-coached yet again is wearing very thin on me. I have been a Cowher supporter but even i have my limits. These kind of performances in big games has become very painful for me to watch.

Ben is every bit the QB that Carson is too, probably better! It just totally sucks seeing him handcuffed alot of times.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:33 PM   #13
Rush58
Starter

Member Number: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillerPaul

Ben is every bit the QB that Carson is too, probably better! It just totally sucks seeing him handcuffed alot of times.
The problem is we will never know with Cowher at the helm. He only wants to play ?smashmouth? football. People say we are not good at pass blocking, but pass blocking comes with practice. We do not pass the ball enough to develop the cohesion that's needed. I heard some say midway through the 3rd quarter of the Colts game, ?Let's start passing the ball now.? Well, the passing game comes with practice. You just can't start passing the ball with a young qb when we are down and expect to have good results. If you are not accustomed to doing something week after week, guess what? Expect bad results. That's why we were exposed in last year's AFCCG and was exposed again on Monday night. Cowher has geared us to be a one-dimensional team instead of developing Big Ben and the passing offense.
Rush58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:26 PM   #14
StillerPaul
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush58
The problem is we will never know with Cowher at the helm. He only wants to play ?smashmouth? football. People say we are not good at pass blocking, but pass blocking comes with practice. We do not pass the ball enough to develop the cohesion that's needed. I heard some say midway through the 3rd quarter of the Colts game, ?Let's start passing the ball now.? Well, the passing game comes with practice. You just can't start passing the ball with a young qb when we are down and expect to have good results. If you are not accustomed to doing something week after week, guess what? Expect bad results. That's why we were exposed in last year's AFCCG and was exposed again on Monday night. Cowher has geared us to be a one-dimensional team instead of developing Big Ben and the passing offense.

Sadly, i couldn't agree more. I'd be willing to bet that alot of our practices last week cenered around the running game and what they had hoped we could do to their "small" front 7. Cowher built us to be a "power run team". Every outsider says, "it's fine, it's the Steeler way". But they don't have to feel the heartaches and pains of losing playoff games on a consistant basis. Are we spoiled by having a regular playoff team? Hell yea! But our frustrations still count.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:59 AM   #15
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

I dont have a problem w/ being known as a smash mouth team.. its helped us win a ton of games over the years and makes us an intimidating offense to deal with especially in the 2nd half..

What I do have a problem with is being so smash mouth that when we do need to air it out, we have no idea how too. As the others mentioned..balance is key. We have to be able to play smash mouth and air wars at the same time if need be..and right now we cant.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:05 AM   #16
Rush58
Starter

Member Number: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillerPaul
Sadly, i couldn't agree more. I'd be willing to bet that alot of our practices last week cenered around the running game and what they had hoped we could do to their "small" front 7. Cowher built us to be a "power run team". Every outsider says, "it's fine, it's the Steeler way". But they don't have to feel the heartaches and pains of losing playoff games on a consistant basis. Are we spoiled by having a regular playoff team? Hell yea! But our frustrations still count.
The Patriot game earlier this season is a prime example of why we need balance. New England had a depleted secondary and linebacking crew and we couldn't take advantage b/c we play "smashmouth" football (better known as one-dimensional football). There's nothing wrong with running the ball, but we got to have balance. I love what the Bengals are doing on offense. We, on other hand, are delaying the growth process for Big Ben.
Rush58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:39 PM   #17
SalukiSteelers
Starter

Location: Live in Carbondale, IL, USA, home of the SIU Salukis.
Member Number: 844

While the growth process for Ben may be a little sluggish right now, the rule in the NFL seems to be that you play for the season at hand. What gives your team the best chance to win is a question that coaches and management ask themselves at the beginning of the season. Based on last year's team, our guys thought that running the ball and sitting on leads by working the clock and preventing the other team from scoring were the ways to go.

Does that look like it's the case now? Maybe not. Did it look that way in August? Yeah, probably did.

Look guys, this is running team this season, plain and simple. It's not sexy, and right now it's not real effective, but there is only so much teams can do during the season. You can't retool your team on the fly so we're stuck with what we are.

If Pittsburgh executes the running game it opens up other options, especially play action. If they don't execute, the team looks one dimensional because defenses don't necessarily have to crowd everbody around the line.

Plus, until the Steelers stop teams on third-down, how the heck is Ben supposed to see the field to improve. Also, why put the ball up a ton if the run is working?

If Ben is serious about improving his game I'm sure the staff and his receivers wouldn't have a problem working with him in the offseason. He can experiment with stuff, work on his accuracy, study film, and develop better chemistry with the guys to whom he'll throw the ball.

I can't see the Steelers running the exact same offense next season. Probable off-season personnel changes would seem to indicate that changes in the offensive philosophy are coming. Next year.

As for this year, this is our team. For better or worse.
SalukiSteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:35 PM   #18
StillerPaul
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush58
The Patriot game earlier this season is a prime example of why we need balance. New England had a depleted secondary and linebacking crew and we couldn't take advantage b/c we play "smashmouth" football (better known as one-dimensional football). There's nothing wrong with running the ball, but we got to have balance. I love what the Bengals are doing on offense. We, on other hand, are delaying the growth process for Big Ben.
Well we have shown glimpses of a more balanced attack. The San Diego game comes to mind. My favorite was the clowns game, but that was with Charlie Batch at QB. Those short to medium passes they let Charlie throw to get him in rhythm was very fun to watch IMO. PLUS, we scored 34 points and looked like we coulda had 50! I just wish they would do these things with Ben sometimes. Especially against the better teams.

BTW, Randle El speaks on the issue on the KDKA website in case ya haven't seen it. There is some very good footage and interviews there IMO.