Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 05:59 AM   #1
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140
Default About the coaching: Steelers staff failed miserably vs. Eagles

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08268/914503-194.stm

About the coaching: Steelers staff failed miserably vs. Eagles
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
By Bob Smizik, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A day removed from it, the embarrassing loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, a game in which the Steelers were badly outplayed and outcoached, looked like a mere blip on the team's near-certain ascendancy to the AFC North championship. Two days removed from it, however, the game has taken on an ominous tone. The path to the title in a division believed to be thick with sub-par opponents looks considerably more formidable.

That has something to do with the injury report coach Mike Tomlin revealed at his news conference yesterday. It also has something to do with the quality of coaching coming from Tomlin and his staff, which was revealed Sunday against the Eagles.

On the injury front, it was bad enough that nose tackle Casey Hampton, one of the team's best defensive players, was pronounced out for the game against the Baltimore Ravens Monday. That was expected. What wasn't expected, and what truly does not bode well for the team, is the addition of running back Willie Parker to the list of players, which also includes defensive end Brett Keisel, that will not play against the Ravens.

The Steelers have a highly competent replacement for Hampton in Chris Hoke, a seven-year veteran who allowed little or no fallout at nose tackle in 2004 when he started the final 10 games of a 15-1 season. What is noteworthy about Hampton's absence is that two-thirds of the starting defensive line is out against an opponent that has thrived running the ball. The Ravens have rushed 90 times in two games -- which is one more time than the Steelers have in three games -- and dominated the opposition in doing so.

The replacement for Parker, the second-leading rusher in the AFC even after being held to 20 yards by the Eagles, is rookie Rashard Mendenhall, a player of immense potential but one who has failed to gain the coaching staff's confidence, as evidenced by the fact he had no rushing attempts in the past two games.

Among players the Steelers could least afford to lose, Parker would rank in the top five. That's not just because he is so talented, but also because his replacement is so questionable. Mendenhall, whose fumbling in the exhibition season caused the coaching staff to lose confidence in him, has gained 28 yards on 10 attempts this season. He must soften a Baltimore defense that historically has been excellent and, based on their two games this season, remains very much that way.

Not too much should be made of the Ravens' league-leading defensive statistics since they've come against the Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Browns. But it is impressive that they've allowed only an average of 161 yards and have held quarterbacks, one of whom was Carson Palmer, to a combined passer rating of 26.6.

Although Tomlin presented the Ravens as a opponent that will be difficult to beat, there was not a hint of concern in his tone. He provided the standard Tomlin line: "We acknowledge that injuries are part of the game. The standard of expectation won't change for us. It's an opportunity for some people to step up. We expect those guys to step up and deliver for us and we know they will."

Once, those typical words from Tomlin were reassuring. But following the Philadelphia debacle and following a distinct decline in his won-loss percentage, Tomlin's certitude is no longer so calming. He's looking more mortal these days, especially after his failure to solve the Eagles' defense, one with which he and his staff should have been intimately familiar.

He accepted blame for that. "As coaches, we could have done a better job of adjusting and putting these guys in a position to be successful."

That's the real job of coaches, and Tomlin and his staff haven't been so good at it lately. After opening his NFL career with seven wins in nine games and making the Rooneys look, as they did with Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher, like geniuses in evaluating coaches, Tomlin's career has taken a backward step. He's a mediocre 5-6 since his first nine games.

It's a big game for the Steelers Monday and a big game for Tomlin. His players must rise to the challenge and so must the coaching staff. Philadelphia presented the NFL a blueprint for victory over the Steelers. The Ravens have their own style but would be wise to incorporate some of the tactics employed by the Eagles.

Tomlin and his staff must show they can't be outsmarted by the opposing coaches again like they were against the Eagles.

Bob Smizik can be reached at bsmizik@post-gazette.com. More articles by this author
First published on September 24, 2008 at 12:00 am
Old 09-24-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
Steel Pit
Banned

Default Re: About the coaching: Steelers staff failed miserably vs. Eagles

"He's looking more mortal these days, especially after his failure to solve the Eagles' defense, one with which he and his staff should have been intimately familiar."

The offensive line is solely to blame, Bruce Arians is a genius.

"He accepted blame for that. "As coaches, we could have done a better job of adjusting and putting these guys in a position to be successful."

"Tomlin and his staff must show they can't be outsmarted by the opposing coaches again like they were against the Eagles."

Well, I guess that Bob Smizik is also full of . He might very well be, but at least he's being paid for his perspective.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
Steel Pit
Banned

As I read the article I sense that there's a finger being pointed at someone. I wonder who??? Could it be.....No, he's a genius.

So let me see, the defense played more than well enough to win the game so that eliminates Dick LeBeau.

Overall the special teams played well, so that eliminates that facet of the team from blame.

So we're left to look at the offensive coaching staff. Seeing that Mike Tomlin is a defensive oriented coach, I must exclude him from blame, although that's probably up for debate for some of you Bruce Arians groupies. That leaves the offensive line coach and Bruce Arians remaining in the room. As far as I'm concerned the Steelers should can both of their A$$ES at seasons end.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:52 AM   #4
Steel Pit
Banned

If anyone cares to spend a few minutes reading threads from a 2003 Cleveland Browns website in regards to Bruce Arians, and by the way, 2003 was a very successful season for the Browns, here's the link.

http://cle.scout.com/2/194800.html

A lot of the criticism of Arians in 2003 sounds much the same as today. As they say, where there's smoke there's fire.

Here are a couple of my favorite portions of the site, the imfamous goathorns, as voted on by the fans.

GOATS

Player Goathorns

Bruce Arians 66
Butch Davis 33
---Entire Offense--- 25
Kelly Holcomb 23
Tim Couch 16
Carmen Policy 15
---O Line--- 11

brownsfan2112 How do you look in the mirror on Sunday night Arians? you're the worst offensive co. in the league! how do i know? because only an idiot can take a team with so much talent at the skilled positions and only produce 3 points! and guess what else? tight ends and full backs can do more than block! and also, why do carry that big play sheet around with you? you know the four plays you run and you certainly dont need it so the opposing team can't read you're lips, because they know what's coming from you're predictability! and Davis, you should go back to college ball. you've been out-coached the entire season. you can pick talent, but you sure can't use it. the way you handle the affairs of this team is criminal. from putting unneeded pressure on both our quarterbacks with press conferences, to calling josh booty on the phone to tell him he was released, to the horrific play calling on the field. it's fourth and one, punt. Oh, fourth and nine? go for it! and let me tell you, one fake punt is not going to cut it! the team is uncomfortable, flat, and unenthusiastic at this point. you can tell by the play and the action on the sidelines. once supportive team mates are just running on and off the field like they're punching in and out of a job they don't like. And check you're ego at the door, you're not that good. Mr. Al Lerner, please do me and other Browns fans a favor, fire butch Davis and Bruce Arians. And I promise you, the great city of Cleveland will finally have the football team it deserves!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #5
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Who said Bruce Arians is a genius? Look around this board and I haven't seen one person proclaiming Bruce Arians as a genius. He and the rest of the coaching staff deserves blame for last Sunday. It was a bad game.

He turned a QB into lead the league in INT's the previous year into a Pro Bowler. He had the leagues' leading rusher before the injury last year. The Steelers are 2-1 after three games in a long season.

Fire the bum Arians! He sucks! While we're at it, fire Tomlin! Cowher and Whisenhunt never put up this type of offensive abortion! Ever!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Steel Pit, I'd like for you to point out one post or person on this board who is a "Bruce Arians groupie" or has said that he is a "genius." I believe most have said that all of the blame can't be placed on him, that despite his questionable playcalling at times the offense still had good numbers last season. I personally have said that Arians definitely deserves blame for a bad game plan on Sunday. How you get this "genius" BS out of that is beyond my comprehension.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:34 AM   #7
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
"As coaches, we could have done a better job of adjusting and putting these guys in a position to be successful."
That quote from Tomlin says it all. We have an offensive group that can succeed. It's early and I believe we will get better. This is a step in the maturation process of a young head coach. I will look to this Mondays game, a true test in terms of the Ravens defensive style and our offensive struggles, as a barometer. I fully expect Tomlin to take Arians and Zierlein to task over that debacle Sunday.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit View Post
If anyone cares to spend a few minutes reading threads from a 2003 Cleveland Browns website in regards to Bruce Arians, and by the way, 2003 was a very successful season for the Browns, here's the link.

http://cle.scout.com/2/194800.html

A lot of the criticism of Arians in 2003 sounds much the same as today. As they say, where there's smoke there's fire.

Here are a couple of my favorite portions of the site, the imfamous goathorns, as voted on by the fans.

GOATS

Player Goathorns

Bruce Arians 66
Butch Davis 33
---Entire Offense--- 25
Kelly Holcomb 23
Tim Couch 16
Carmen Policy 15
---O Line--- 11

brownsfan2112 How do you look in the mirror on Sunday night Arians? you're the worst offensive co. in the league! how do i know? because only an idiot can take a team with so much talent at the skilled positions and only produce 3 points! and guess what else? tight ends and full backs can do more than block! and also, why do carry that big play sheet around with you? you know the four plays you run and you certainly dont need it so the opposing team can't read you're lips, because they know what's coming from you're predictability! and Davis, you should go back to college ball. you've been out-coached the entire season. you can pick talent, but you sure can't use it. the way you handle the affairs of this team is criminal. from putting unneeded pressure on both our quarterbacks with press conferences, to calling josh booty on the phone to tell him he was released, to the horrific play calling on the field. it's fourth and one, punt. Oh, fourth and nine? go for it! and let me tell you, one fake punt is not going to cut it! the team is uncomfortable, flat, and unenthusiastic at this point. you can tell by the play and the action on the sidelines. once supportive team mates are just running on and off the field like they're punching in and out of a job they don't like. And check you're ego at the door, you're not that good. Mr. Al Lerner, please do me and other Browns fans a favor, fire butch Davis and Bruce Arians. And I promise you, the great city of Cleveland will finally have the football team it deserves!
how much credibility does a browns fan have? pretty sad when you are quoting them. how much better have they got? with that said, I am not a Arians groupie either. But he has called some great games. People used to shit on Cowher and is conservatism at play calling as well. It is a tough job. The line did not execute well, I would have like some draw plays and more screens, even a reverse. Imagine how frustrated the coaching staff must have been, I know I was frustrated as a fan.You can not just blame one person. The whole offense is hanging there head now, and they should.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
how much credibility does a browns fan have? pretty sad when you are quoting them. how much better have they got? with that said, I am not a Arians groupie either. But he has called some great games. People used to shit on Cowher and is conservatism at play calling as well. It is a tough job. The line did not execute well, I would have like some draw plays and more screens, even a reverse. Imagine how frustrated the coaching staff must have been, I know I was frustrated as a fan.You can not just blame one person. The whole offense is hanging there head now, and they should.
Thank you for hitting the nail on the head, stogie.

While I do blame the majority of the O's woes on Sunday solely on the OL for not "preaching what they practiced", I do realize that the O, as a unit, did not perform well. I'm not going to beat their ineptitude (or the coaching staff's brain farts) in ONE GAME into the ground. It is what it is and I have all of the confidence in the world in Tomlin, Arians and our coaching staff to have our guys ready for Monday night's matchup with the Ratfinks.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 09-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,577 Times in 1,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit View Post
. That leaves the offensive line coach and Bruce Arians remaining in the room. As far as I'm concerned the Steelers should can both of their A$$ES at seasons end.
I dont think Tomlin is implying just those 2coaches, coach T isnt a dictator, but a realist and a motivator. I think he is saying the Offense as a whole. That includes WR coaches, TE coaches for recognizing blitzes and running hot routes, maybe even RB coaches about blocking on the blitz.

Football is a team sport. These guys goto war together each week and you win as a team and lose as a team. Tomlin isnt about pointing out individuals to blame and throwing them under the bus.

As for firing anybody at seasons end......I dont think its rational to start calling for changes at week 3, when your team is 2-1. Now, if we were 0-3 and in Detroit.
Closed Thread