Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Steelerstrength
Starter

Member Number: 3283
Default McCain Camp: Is this true?

When I was doing a light search for articles on Fanny & Freedie, these two articles came up. I haven't heard much about this, so I'm hoping to find more. If true, McCain should fire Mr. Davis immediately, in accordance with his stated campaign beliefs. If not, then I hope someone can prove these stories to be false. (they do mention the Obama ties to F & F)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/24/us...cpZdMdLdpWZVDA

http://www.newsweek.com/id/160561/output/print

Does anyone have more information that can shed some light on this subject? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: McCain Camp: Is this true?

Make ya a deal? He'll fire Davis if Obama drops out of the race, since Obama received money DIRECTLY FROM Feddie Mac...and a TON of it by the looks of things.

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/obama...ae-freddie-mac

http://blog.case.edu/conservativemov...nd_freddie_mac
Old 09-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Steelerstrength
Starter

Member Number: 3283

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Make ya a deal? He'll fire Davis if Obama drops out of the race, since Obama received money DIRECTLY FROM Feddie Mac...and a TON of it by the looks of things.

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/obama...ae-freddie-mac

http://blog.case.edu/conservativemov...nd_freddie_mac
I'm not doubting that Obama received money from someone at F & F. And that is a very good point. Who donated the money? Employees? The company itself? I'd like to know more.

But, I'm also looking at McCain, who is forcefully delivering a message of despise for anyone & everyone involved with F & F, but his Campaign managers company may possibly have been receiving money ($15,000 per month) until last month?

They both look bad, but this looks much worse, at this moment from what we know, for McCain. The two are not a wash, imo. But, I don't see anything changing from either camp based on these issues. I was really hoping someone had more insight on the two specific articles I had asked about, but it doesn't appear that info is yet available.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 09-25-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

How can direct PAC funds (lobbyists directly contributing funds into Obama campaign purse) be of lessor consequence than one of McCain's staffers getting money from the same source? One is a direct path, the other is indirect.

You're right, this is not a wash. Obama is directly benefitting from these contributions, while McCain is not, therefore Obama's connections to Freddie Mac are much more dubious.

Strangely, the mainstream media is all but ignoring Obama's connections...why might that be?
Old 09-25-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,661 Times in 2,890 Posts

so now it is illegal or wrong to take contributions?

i dont care if obama took money from those crooks.

whats being ignored here is the simple economics of lobbyists.

lobbyists are paying for favors and possible representation of their interests. why would they pay huge money to somebody they already have in their pocket?

if obama has never cast a vote in congress (or just votes "present" all the time), i would say they wasted their money.

anyways, specific dollar amounts and direct paths aside, mccain benefitting from fannie may money appears much more hypocritical than obama benefitting from it.

those are the simplicities the american public in general focus on.

i know your smart, and feel i am rather educated. i bet we can both agree that the general public doesnt delve so deeply into the issues when deciding how to cast a vote.

hell, look at the percentage of people eligible to vote, who dont even bother.

right or wrong, appearances can be deceiving and perception can become reality, and right now it appears mccain is benefitting from something he says he's against.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
anyways, specific dollar amounts and direct paths aside, mccain benefitting from fannie may money appears much more hypocritical than obama benefitting from it.

those are the simplicities the american public in general focus on.

i know your smart, and feel i am rather educated. i bet we can both agree that the general public doesnt delve so deeply into the issues when deciding how to cast a vote.

Uh oh...here we go again. What sense does this make? McCain indirectly (well, really not benefitting at all, since he's merely taking advice from someone on FM's payroll, not on the payroll himself) "benefitting" is WORSE than Obama being the second biggest recipient of FM PAC money.

There isn't even a Bizzaro Universe where this makes any sense.

Pehaps you don't understand the concept of lobbying? I just don't know...the point is, you've got this all backwards. At best, McCain is showing himself to be a maverick again, buy going against the entity that is paying one of his aides. At worst McCain is showing himself to be a maverick again by, well, by taking on the entity that is paying one of his aides.

The American people are being duped. The media is heavily scrutinizing McCain's loose and indirect ties to FM, and ignoring Obama's tight and direct ones. What do you expect them to think if they are only working with less than half the story?
Old 09-25-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

I appreciate the tone of the discussion in this thread....

Just wanted to add this to what Rev and Steelerstrength are talking about.

Franklin Raines, CEO Fannie Mae from 1999-2004, is the individual most responsible for the subprime mortgage crisis. It was on Mr. Raines' watch that Fannie Mae went bankrupt.

He was accused of manipulating earnings statements so he could be paid bonuses to which he was not entitled.....and now he has been recently taking calls from Barack Obama's presidential campaign seeking his advice on mortgage and housing matters.

During an interview with the associated press...Raines said that he had gotten a couple of calls from the Obama campaign on general housing and economy issues.

Perhaps a far more important tie to this crisis.....is that of Jim Johnson, the former Fannie Mae chairman who was part of the $10.6 BILLION dollar fradulant accounting scandal...investigated by the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight Commitee in 2004.... had to resign as head of Obama's vice presidential search team..
http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsSt...d=47760&cat=14

Mr. Johnson and Mr. Raines aren't the only figures in the subprime mortgage scandal to be connected to the Obama campaign...... Jamie Gorelick was vice chairman of Fannie Mae from 1997 to 2003 and benefited from bogus, inflated bonuses during the accounting scandal...and rumored to be an attorney general candidate in an Obama administration,...... Penny Pritzker, Mr. Obama's national finance chairman has been connected with packaging bad loans with good ones at her now defunct Superior bank in suburban Chicago with over $1 billion is uninsured loans...1,406 people lost their life savings....but fortunately for Pritzker she is ranked as the 89th richest person in the United States.

All of these people directly related to Obamas campaign directly benifited from this crises with incredible personal profit.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:00 AM   #8
tony hipchest

Quote:
The American people are being duped. The media is heavily scrutinizing McCain's loose and indirect ties to FM, and ignoring Obama's tight and direct ones. What do you expect them to think if they are only working with less than half the story?
ok. so are you saying it woulda been good if obama rejected FM's contributions?

there are rich crooks who make contributions all across the board.

dirty money is everywhere in america. you and i both know this.

for me, specifically, its a not issue. its about as important as obama being muslim, biden being catholic, mccain thinking islam is the devil, and palin thinking... well i guess she thinks dinosaurs and man co-existed. whatever.

fixing this mess is what im concerned about. driving while watching the rearview mirror isnt the way to go about it.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Interesting...now it doesn't matter?
Old 09-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #10
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Interesting...now it doesn't matter?
"now?"

it didnt to me then, either. atleast not in the grand scheme of things.

personally i dont care where candidates get their campaign contributions. for me surrounding oneself with the best people is MUCH more important and that has ALWAYS been my stance.

im not sure what youre getting at, but if you wanna bring up past quotes of mine i will be more than glad to address them.