Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 09-24-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,839 Times in 3,710 Posts
Default McCain wants to suspend Fridays debates

Mccain has been slipping in the polls in regards to who is more capable of handling this financial crisis. people are clearly more confident in obama. what better way to combat this than a little bit of grandstanding? of course he probably feels he will get mopped up in a debate on this issue with such short notice and could also use a little bit more time to "study up".

seriously... our next commander in chief cant handle some work in washington AND a debate on the same day? i would hope our next president is much more quick on his feet and capable of much more on his plate.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080924/...qmFCeoASxh24cA

Quote:
NEW YORK - Barack Obama's campaign says he is inclined to go ahead with Friday's presidential debate, even though rival John McCain is calling for a delay.

McCain said Wednesday that he wants to stop all [the bleeding]campaigning tomorrow and postpone the debate so they can work together on the financial crisis. But Obama campaign officials say the senator is inclined to move ahead.
timeline-

Quote:
The Obama campaign said in a statement that Obama had called McCain around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday to propose that they issue a joint statement in support of a package to help fix the economy as soon as possible. McCain called back six hours later and agreed to the idea of the statement, the Obama campaign said. McCain's statement was issued to the media a few minutes later.
interesting. so obama calls mccain thismorning in good faith to offer a bipartisanship olive branch to get together. this sends mccains camp scrambling to figure a way to trump the manuver. 6 hours latter they accept obamas gesture, and GO DIRECTLY to the media, asking obama to cancel friday.

Quote:
McCain's statement was an effort to show leadership on an issue that has spread economic fears across the country and overshadowed the presidential campaign just six weeks from Election Day. The economy has not been McCain's strongest suit, and his move was an attempt to turn it into an opportunity to show he's the candidate of bipartisanship and action. Recent polls showed Obama with an advantage with voters in handling the economy.
but didnt obama already beat him to the punch and demonstrate that leadership at 8:30 thismorning?

Quote:
The move put Obama in a bind. Rejecting the idea would allow McCain alone to appear above politics, but agreeing to suspend campaigning and the debate could make Obama look like he's following McCain's lead.
interesting tactic indeed. unfortunately it is rather transparent and seems a little desperate.

i know most of you hate discussing the tactics of the campaigns themselves but i find it facinating. you know, like political chess.

i can see where obama is in a bit of a catch-22. however, i agree that he needs to hold mccains feet to the fire on friday. in this instance i gotta think obama has more points to gain than points to lose. its a bit of a gamble that could pay off a little for mccain, but i doubt much.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: McCain wants to suspend Fridays debates

Actions speak louder than words.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
tony hipchest

lol. maybe mccain is going in for "brain surgery"... or atleast a thought transplant.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0..._n_128991.html

Quote:
Why does John McCain suddenly want to suspend his presidential campaign and postpone Friday's debate? His campaign surrogates are saying it's a typical "maverick" move, that McCain is simply "putting country first." Let's look at the evidence:

1) As Ben Smith notes, McCain's move "is a mark, most of all, that he doesn't like the way this campaign is going. ... The only thing that's changed in the last 48 hours is the public polling."

2) The idea of uniting the campaigns to find a bipartisan solution to the Wall Street crisis wasn't even McCain's idea. A few minutes ago, Obama spokesman Bill Burton emailed to reporters:

"At 8:30 this morning, Senator Obama called Senator McCain to ask him if he would join in issuing a joint statement outlining their shared principles and conditions for the Treasury proposal and urging Congress and the White House to act in a bipartisan manner to pass such a proposal. At 2:30 this afternoon, Senator McCain returned Senator Obama's call and agreed to join him in issuing such a statement. The two campaigns are currently working together on the details."
3) John McCain has skipped more votes during this session than any member of the Senate except for Tim Johnson, who had major brain surgery. He has cast a single vote in five months, since April 9. All of a sudden, McCain is demanding that the presidential race shut down so he can return to Washington?

4) A reminder: President Bush was able to debate John Kerry while he was president. For all of his sudden urgency, McCain acknowledged just yesterday that he had not even read the administration's three-page bailout proposal.

5) It's not clear at all that having McCain and Obama back in DC will actually help. "What does seem apparent, though, is that putting the two candidates in the negotiating room is far more likely to distract--and derail--negotiations than having them out on the hustings," Jonathan Cohn writes at the New Republic.

It's impossible to know why McCain chose this course, but it sure seems like more of a political stunt than a maverick moment.
yep, reading the actual proposal is louder than "words".
Old 09-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

If McCain goes to washington and starts slamming heads into desk tops and gets people working together, then flys to Florida and debates Obama on Foreign Policy, then flys back to washington to check on the legislation and get people of both parties working together and solid fair deal in place that isn't a blank check to walstreet and is really part of the recovery of the economy...Obama is in trouble.

It'll be interesting to see what the Old Man has in him.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Obama's done nothing but campaign for president since he became a senator. Why change now?
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
If McCain goes to washington and starts slamming heads into desk tops and gets people working together, then flys to Florida and debates Obama on Foreign Policy, then flys back to washington to check on the legislation and get people of both parties working together and solid fair deal in place that isn't a blank check to walstreet and is really part of the recovery of the economy...Obama is in trouble.

now theres a response i get, and can deal with. im not sure of the logistics though. whats a flight from washington to fla.? about 2 hrs?

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Obama's done nothing but campaign for president since he became a senator. Why change now?
maybe he should just quit altogether and concede the presidency once mccain lands in washington.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,191 Times in 1,940 Posts

Hmm. Who's the leader and who's the pupet that votes present. One puts country first the other puts I first. Guess it's easier to have 20/20 hindsight after your competition takes the lead on the problem.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Hmm. Who's the leader and who's the pupet that votes present. One puts country first the other puts I first. Guess it's easier to have 20/20 hindsight after your competition takes the lead on the problem.
speaking of "meat puppets", wheres sarah palin? cant mccain just send her to washington in his place [rhetorical]? after all, she can unite both sides of the aisle and insure absolutely no corrupt shennanigans go on or loopholes are introduced.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #9
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Latest CNN headline:

McCain: No bailout deal, then no debate Friday

Hmmm. With all due respect to those who love McCain's "style", most Americans are calling for a thought out, reasoned response rather than a rush to resolution that may backfire in our faces. I can't see how this "I'll take my ball and go home" approach benefits him. If anything, I think it makes him look like every other asshole boss you've ever had, the ones who don't understand what it is that actually has to be done yet insists on having the work yesterday, resulting in half-assed, buggy results.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #10
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post

Unfortunately, in the real world when you "start slamming heads into desktops" it doesn't make people work together, it makes them mad at you.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote