Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-24-2008, 06:24 PM   #11
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741
Default Re: McCain wants to suspend Fridays debates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
Unfortunately, in the real world when you "start slamming heads into desktops" it doesn't make people work together, it makes them mad at you.
I'm pretty sure he meant it figuratively, not literally.

Also, have you seen Full Metal Jacket? The Drill Sergeants job is to make all of his recruits to work together and he does that by beating them down.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #12
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
I'm pretty sure he meant it figuratively, not literally.

Also, have you seen Full Metal Jacket? The Drill Sergeants job is to make all of his recruits to work together and he does that by beating them down.
I know he meant it figuratively. But the principle works the same figuratively, too. And the recruits in FMJ had a different goal than reasoned, intelligent resolution to a problem that has hundreds of billions of dollars hanging in the balance of the wording. And there are a lot of men out there who take the "beat down" principle to their wives and children,and it doesn't work out very well for either involved, depending on whether or not you want a cowed wife and scared children. And I am definitely not implying that of you, only extending your analogy to show how it doesn't really apply to most situations.

It is a management style that is ineffective for government; you really have no leverage. And it is generally ineffective in ANY situation where you don't have total control of the people you are hammering on, and where you need anything other than mindless labor.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:50 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,575 Times in 3,989 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
Latest CNN headline:

McCain: No bailout deal, then no debate Friday

Hmmm. With all due respect to those who love McCain's "style", most Americans are calling for a thought out, reasoned response rather than a rush to resolution that may backfire in our faces. I can't see how this "I'll take my ball and go home" approach benefits him. If anything, I think it makes him look like every other asshole boss you've ever had, the ones who don't understand what it is that actually has to be done yet insists on having the work yesterday, resulting in half-assed, buggy results.
wow. up until this, i was almost willing to give mccain credit for a calculated tactical gamble of putting obama in a cant win situation. again, i have given him too much credit.

now it just looks like he's going into "operation meltdown".

plenty still needs addressed before it is inked-

Dems seek to slash bailout as Bush readies speech

http://news.yahoo.com/story/ap/20080...45srWbqrib.HQA

Quote:
With the administration's original proposal deeply unpopular in Congress, top House leaders issued an upbeat statement at day's end saying that they had made progress toward revised legislation. "We are committed to continuing to work cooperatively and on a bipartisan basis to safeguard the interests of the American taxpayers," said Speaker Nancy Pelosi and House Republican leader John Boehner, R-Ohio.

Earlier, Paulson agreed to demands from critics in both parties to limit the pay packages of Wall Street executives whose companies would benefit from the proposed bailout.
looks like theyre working together even without mccains hallowed presence.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #14
ohiosteelerfan20
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4962

Maybe they can move the vp debate to friday. I mean Palin is ready right? From day one right?
ohiosteelerfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:37 PM   #15
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosteelerfan20 View Post
Maybe they can move the vp debate to friday. I mean Palin is ready right? From day one right?
lol. palin has to be under a gag order. biden (king of the gaffes) has done about 80 interviews since being nominated.

palin has done about 3. she was in new york today to get her feet wet in "foreign affairs", meeting with different leaders-

its pretty evident her directives are to "shut up and look pretty"-

she met with pakistani president President Asif Ali Zardari who commented as he shook her hand, upon introduction, that he now sees why so many people are infatuated/ in love, with her.

unfortunately that AP article has since been edited, to remove the actual quote of pakistani prez drooling all over her. heres the post edited version-

http://news.yahoo.com/story/ap/20080...h578Etamxv24cA

Quote:
Palin got a glimpse of ground zero for the Sept. 11 terror attacks in New York as her motorcade made its way downtown to a private meeting with Iraqi President Jalal Talabani. She did not respond to a reporter's question about what she thought when she passed by the 16-acre site.
i guess mccain wasnt there to tell her what she thinks.

Quote:
As Palin sought to establish her credentials in world affairs, first lady Laura Bush said that Palin lacked sufficient foreign policy experience but was "a quick study."
Quote:
Recent surveys have shown that Palin's popularity, while still strong, has begun to fade.
and here is what was actually said (a quick google revealed another)-

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...e-is-gorgeous/

Quote:
NEW YORK (CNN) – Sarah Palin and the foreign leaders she has met with in New York have said very little to reporters over the last two days, but the press happened to be in the room on Wednesday for one eyebrow-raising exchange, as the new president of Pakistan lavished praise on Palin's looks.

On entering a room filled with several Pakistani officials this afternoon, Palin was immediately greeted by Sherry Rehman, the country's Information Minister.

"And how does one keep looking that good when one is that busy?," Rehman asked, drawing friendly laughter from the room when she complimented Palin.

"Oh, thank you," Palin said.

Pakistan's recently-elected president, Asif Ali Zardari, entered the room seconds later. Palin rose to shake his hand, saying she was “honored” to meet him.

Zardari then called her "gorgeous" and said: "Now I know why the whole of America is crazy about you."

"You are so nice," Palin said, smiling. "Thank you."

A handler from Zardari's entourage then told the two politicians to keep shaking hands for the cameras.

"If he's insisting, I might hug," Zardari said. Palin smiled politely.

The Alaska governor did not answer questions from reporters at her first two appearances on Wednesday, when she joined McCain in meetings with Georgian president Mikheil Saakashvili and Ukrainian president Viktor Yushchenko, and then traveled downtown to meet with Iraqi president Jalal Talabani.

But she did offer brief remarks to a reporter at the Zardari meeting who asked about her day.

"It's going great," Palin said. "These meetings are very informative and helpful, and a lot of good people sharing appreciation for America."

Last edited by tony hipchest; 09-24-2008 at 07:47 PM.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #16
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
lol. palin has to be under a gag order. biden (king of the gaffes) has done about 80 interviews since being nominated.

palin has done about 3. she was in new york today to get her feet wet in "foreign affairs", meeting with different leaders-

its pretty evident her directives are to "shut up and look pretty"-

she met with pakistani president President Asif Ali Zardari who commented as he shook her hand, upon introduction, that he now sees why so many people are infatuated/ in love, with her.

unfortunately that AP article has since been edited, to remove the actual quote of pakistani prez drooling all over her. heres the post edited version-

http://news.yahoo.com/story/ap/20080...h578Etamxv24cA

i guess mccain wasnt there to tell her what she thinks.

and here is what was actually said (a quick google revealed another)-

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...e-is-gorgeous/

I never figured you for a sexist.

Oh wait... it's not sexist if it is against a GOP right?

Typical.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #17
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I never figured you for a sexist.

Oh wait... it's not sexist if it is against a GOP right?

Typical.
youre sexist for assuming that of me, and YOUR party is sexist for not allowing their candidate to speak freely.

dont blame me. im just calling it how it is. put your head in the sand. youre voting for a man who wont allow his female running mate to speek freely.

the democratic party would NEVER shieled hillary clinton in such an oppressive manner. she has always been free to give interviews and engage the press.

just cause you dont like the truth or facts is no reason to label me.

it is, what it is. take it up with your party. its costing them, not me.

more deflection though.

typical
Old 09-24-2008, 08:01 PM   #18
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
youre sexist for assuming that of me, and YOUR party is sexist for not allowing their candidate to speak freely.

dont blame me. im just calling it how it is. put your head in the sand. youre voting for a man who wont allow his female running mate to speek freely.

the democratic party would NEVER shiled hillary clinton in such an oppressive manner. she has always been free to give interviews and engage the press.

just cause you dont like the truth or facts is no reason to label me.

it is, what it is. take it up with your party. its costing them, not me.
Nope...

Your ASSUMING facts....

and ASSUMING it is because she can't speak for herself.

Guess what.. your assumptions don't equate to fact.

Ever think that it could be because they want to keep her as a trump card for the debates.... Not give Biden anything to practice against?

No... never could be anything like that. Its the GOP... it MUST be evil!

Funny thing about labeling...

I am not GOP. I disowned them years ago.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #19
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

What do you think Mcain is afraid of? Did Mcain go out and talk to all wall street investors and make them weary of trading? What is Obamas solution to this crisis can you tell me?

I've been following both candidates and I still don't know where Obama stands on practicly anything.

I'm not against a black president, or even a president which has had little experiance, but I at least like to know were that canididate stands on issues.

Obama could be the best thing since sliced bread, but I still have no idea of how he plans to deal with the current economic crisis.

Just seems when it comes to the economy the democrates have an automatic atvantage....why? Am I suposed to vote for Obama because he's a Democrate which gives him a 10 point spread on the economy simply because he's a Democrate? I don't buy it.

Tell me something he's going to do to reverse our economic failings...no sarcasm.. I really want to know..
Old 09-24-2008, 08:15 PM   #20
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Nope...

Your ASSUMING facts....

and ASSUMING it is because she can't speak for herself.

Guess what.. your assumptions don't equate to fact.

Ever think that it could be because they want to keep her as a trump card for the debates.... Not give Biden anything to practice against?

No... never could be anything like that. Its the GOP... it MUST be evil!

Funny thing about labeling...

I am not GOP. I disowned them years ago.
ok. your candidate in this specific election. semantics. you are the one with the sexist assumptions though.

mccain is keeping her under wraps because of her inexperience (hes afraid she might sink them before they even set sail) not because she is a woman. do you think mccain would keep hillary from speaking with the press if she were his running mate? (for arguments sakes) hell no!

but for them to parade her around to the wolf calls of foreign leaders reeks of sexism, even if it really isnt there. at a point, perception becomes reality.

blame and point the finger at me and defend them. thats fine. but i think it makes you look naive and silly.

it is THEIR campaign and strategy, not mine. dont make it out like it is.