Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202
Default Ravens Questioning the Enemy

Hope this hasn't been posted already!

Questioning the Enemy: Steelers
BR.com got five questions answered from Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin and WR Hines Ward. by BaltimoreRavens.com
Sep 24, 2008, 3:55PM Font Size:
With the Ravens preparing to take on the Pittsburgh Steelers on Monday Night Football, two members of the enemy team answered a few questions about their squad.

BR.com gives you head coach Mike Tomlin and wideout Hines Ward.

Head Coach Mike Tomlin

How have the Ravens had success this season?

Mike Tomlin: “I think, more than anything, is that they’re 2-0 and they’re playing to their strengths. They’re dominating time of possession, 37 minutes to 23 on average, over the first two games. They’ve run the ball 90 times in two games. That’s more than we’ve run it in three games, and we run it more than most. The punter [Sam Koch] is doing a nice job; he’s a 44-yard dead average. And they’re playing great defense. They’ve got the No. 1 defense in the world. So, you put those things together, and they’re playing their brand of football, and they’re 2-0.”

Is the biggest rivalry the Steelers have with the Ravens?

MT: “Well, you know we’ve got some big rivalries in this division. We think the Cleveland one is pretty big, too, but I’d be hard-pressed to pick one over the other.”

What makes it a great rivalry?

MT: “I think it’s the people involved. That’s a dynamic group over there, led by some strong-willed people. I believe that we have the same here, and I think it creates for an interesting matchup.”

Is the war of words between players good or bad for the game?

MT: “I think more than anything, people pay attention to the war of words and they miss the game. The people that you’re talking about [Bart Scott and Hines Ward] play the game with great passion, they play it the way it’s supposed to be played, and they’re great competitors. I tend to focus on that, whether I’m talking about Hines or Bart Scott, or whoever else is involved in it. I mean, these guys play, and they play with great emotion, and I appreciate that element of it.”

What did you think about you offensive line play against the Eagles last week?

MT: “I think to say anything other than the fact that Philly did a nice job would be a discredit to them. That needs to be said first, but from our standpoint there were a lot of things we could have done better, both players and coaches, and we acknowledge that. We’re about the business of making those corrections this week, and all we can do is swallow it whole and prepare for our next opportunity to perform, which is Monday night.”

WR Hines Ward

Do you remember the threat he received from Bart Scott last season?

Hines Ward: “Yeah, he threatened to kill me after the game. I got a big laugh out of it.”

Are you excited to see Scott in Monday’s game?

HW: “Yeah, I’m looking forward to it. He’s a great ballplayer, and any time you get competitive, it’s always great to go out there and compete. I’ll go out there and smile at him a couple of times on the field.”

Is it hard to not take what Scott says personally?

HW: “No, not really. I mean, out on the field you’re going to have a war of words. Guys are going to talk about your mother, talk about anything to try to get up under your skin. We played with one of the best of them in the league – Joey Porter. It’s just words: ‘Words don’t hurt me,’ or whatever. I’m pretty sure if I see Bart out in the street, outside of football, I’m pretty sure he’s not going to kill me.”

Do you have any special message for Scott?

HW: “Tell him I said, ‘Hello.’”

How difficult is it for a quarterback to make his first road start at Heinz Field?

HW: “It’s going to be very difficult. Between the two teams, we’re similar in many ways. We try to run the ball, we have great defense, Baltimore has a great defense [and] special teams is about the same. The difference is in the quarterback play. Ben [Roethlisberger] has proven that he’s been a winner, and the young quarterback in Baltimore [Joe Flacco], he’s 2-0 right now. So, this is going to be his first challenge coming into hostile territory on primetime. I’m pretty sure, defensively, we’re going to try to contain him, and try to put it in his hands to try to win the ball game. We’ve just got to go out there and execute. If we go out there and execute, and not turn the ball over, then it’s going to be a great game to watch.”

I thought the Hines Ward interview was pretty funny! I still think that when Tomlin talks, he sometimes sounds like a politician!

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/..._Steelers.aspx
Old 09-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
Crow-Magnon
Team Captain

Member Number: 9500
Default Re: Ravens Questioning the Enemy

Let me ask you guys and gals a question. Do you feel the Steelers/Ravens rivalry is a bigger and better one than your rivalry with Cleveland? We have a pretty good one with Cleveland ourselves (and I know Browns fans feel more passionately about it than we do), but I think Steelers/Ravens is always a slugfest.

Back in the day, Colts/Steelers was a good match-up, although we could never beat you guys in the playoffs in the 70's. Then again, who could?
Crow-Magnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
Let me ask you guys and gals a question. Do you feel the Steelers/Ravens rivalry is a bigger and better one than your rivalry with Cleveland? We have a pretty good one with Cleveland ourselves (and I know Browns fans feel more passionately about it than we do), but I think Steelers/Ravens is always a slugfest.
Over the last few years, yes. It's not much of a rivalry when one team is beaten by the other 10 straight times and 16 out of the last 17, and 17 out of 20 since the Browns rejoined the league in '99. The Steelers/Ravens rivalry has been much more competitive as of late. Currently, the Steelers are 9-8 against Baltimore since 2000, and it's an even 8-8 not counting the 2001 Divisional playoff game.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
Dizzle43
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8235

The Browns are our biggest rival but the Ravens are the better game. I hate the Patriots the most though.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
Penn St Steelers
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9233

Quote:

personally working in Bmore as I do it seems you Raven fans have rivalries with everyone and for some reason....I mean you all hate the Redskins cause you feel slated by Jack Kent Cooke (rest his soul)......then you have a rivalry with us (more so out of jealousy imo) and of course with Cleveland seeing how you stole their team from them....oh and the Colts as well, Irsay is public enemy #1 in Bmore seeing how he moved the Colts (for greener pastures should I say).....

so as far as a rivalry goes from a team angle, sure our games of late have been very entertaining to say the least, but I still view our 2 games with Cleveland being bigger.......but from a fans standpoint (at least mine) it's the Ravens...simply because of their fanbase

Last edited by Penn St Steelers; 09-25-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Penn St Steelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
Crow-Magnon
Team Captain

Member Number: 9500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn St Steelers View Post
personally working in Bmore as I do it seems you Raven fans have rivalries with everyone and for some reason....I mean you all hate the Redskins cause you feel slated by Jack Kent Cooke (rest his soul)......then you have a rivalry with us (more so out of jealousy imo) and of course with Cleveland seeing how you stole their team from them....oh and the Colts as well, Irsay is public enemy #1 in Bmore seeing how he moved the Colts (for greener pastures should I say).....

so as far as a rivalry goes, sure our games of late have been very entertaining to say the least, but I still view our 2 games with Cleveland being bigger.......
Man, I have hated the Skins since way before Jack Kent Cooke became the sole woner. The Colts rookies played the Redskins rookies every summer in a charity game that my dad used to take my brother and I too in the 60's, and even then we hated the Skins. It's a Washington, DC/Baltimore thing more than it is the teams themselves.

Hmmm...maybe I should have read your post a little closer. We "stole" Cleveland's team, but Irsay just left for greener pastures. Ok, I get ya.
Crow-Magnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #7
markh
Banned

Member Number: 9501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn St Steelers View Post

so as far as a rivalry goes, sure our games of late have been very entertaining to say the least, but I still view our 2 games with Cleveland being bigger.......
Actually I hate every team that isn't the Ravens.
markh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Penn St Steelers
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Hmmm...maybe I should have read your post a little closer. We "stole" Cleveland's team, but Irsay just left for greener pastures. Ok, I get ya.
you don't think for a instant that Glendening (your then Governor) wasn't lobbying old Art and visiting him more times then not before the announcement came.....oh your 1 of those who thought/believe that old Art just called Glendening and said.....hey I want to move to Baltimore.......you guys paid that fools debts off and some in his moving to Bmore....so yes, you stole their team

oh and by the way, even if you didn't steal them away, Irsay did nothing different then ole Art did, but yet Indy stole the Colts away from Bmore....(after all isn't that the way you all see it?)
Old 09-25-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Since I live in Baltimore maybe I can chime in on this little who stole who's what debate. From what I understand Irsay was a tool, anyway you look at it. He did the cowards thing by leaving in the middle of the night. I wouldn't necessarily blame Baltimore for getting the old Browns but I would blame Art and the NFL. Art was going backrupt in Cleveland and the stadium was in shambles. Cleveland build the Indians and Cavs new arenas and the Rock n Roll HOF but left the Browns to rot in their shell of a stadium. Art basically needed the money and Baltimore was hungry for a team to call their own again. Simple supply and demand.

The NFL is also to blame because many here feel they were robbed of an expansion team that ultimately became the Jags. Older Ravens fans have told me that everything was set in stone for that team to come to Baltimore but was sent to Jacksonville at the 11th hour for reasons unknown. Some claim money changed hands in the deal. What really happened I don't know or really care. But in hindsight Jacksonville was probably the worse of the two decisions. Jacksonville always has trouble selling out their games while Baltimore sells out all the time.

So there you have it.
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #10
Penn St Steelers
Draft Prospect

growing up in Pasadena and just moving here to Hanover just 5 yrs ago I too know a awful lot about the Colts......

lets not deny here that the Colts (yes they were horrible the last several yrs in Bmore) but their crowds were what you see now in Camden Yards (hardly any)...Irsay on numerous attempts asked for a new stadium...(Memorial Stadium was hugely outdated even in the early 80's for Football) but never nothing (my belief is Sheaffer didn't think for a moment that he would move the team so why bother in getting a new stadium)....

not until he left in the middle of the night did William Donald Sheaffer (spelling) attempt to do anything........sure Irsay even on TV denied he was moving the team...so sure he was a tool....but nothing he did was anything that Modell didn't do either.........but you know what...I actually could care less about the Colts, Ravens etc...........