Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-30-2005, 12:01 PM   #21
SalukiSteelers
Starter

Location: Live in Carbondale, IL, USA, home of the SIU Salukis.
Member Number: 844
Default Re: Give an honest opinion

Pittsburgh may have had to overpay to keep Plax, that's true. What is also true, I think, was that he and Ben had good chemistry together, especially when it came to plays down the field. Sure, 80 had his problems: going over the middle, barking to the print and broadcast media, and dropping some passes. But to tell you the truth, outside of the two guys in Indy, who doesn't drop passes or bark?

Plax was a big target who could go up and get the ball. He could run fades when Pittsburgh got close to the end zone, leaving the middle open for Ward and/or Miller. I didn't really like letting him go, last season, and this season hasn't changed my mind about the issue. Look at what Plax and Manning are doing in NY and tell me losing Plax didn't hurt.

If someone asked Ben, off the record, I'm pretty sure he would say that losing Plax has constricted the passing game. You know what, though? He's gone and isn't coming back so Pittsburgh needs to focus on the personnel they have and figure out a way to stretch the field with them.

Without a running game, and with the offensive line stinking it up, it doesn't really matter who the Steelers have on the outside. The offense runs well when they run the ball well and if they can't do that we could have Jerry Rice out there and would still struggle with deep balls.
SalukiSteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:41 PM   #22
Merseyside_Nighthawk#97
Water Boy

Member Number: 855

Basically in my opinion, I think we just are just too predictable! I bet every D, under the sun knows how our O works. It's just that some D's do it better than others. I miss Mr Burress, his hight helped bring in a lot of passes in the redzone. But that doesn't matter now because we have Mr Miller who is another lanky bugger who can catch all those high balls. The O line played shite! Except for Essex, who for a rookie did quite well against Mr Freeny.

Don't worry lad's the Bengals haven't got a chance!
~ThE wOrM~#97 R.E. AnD wAnAbIe M.L.B. StEeL pRiDe ''I AM LEGEND''
Merseyside_Nighthawk#97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:56 PM   #23
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,252 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdapit
everyone is saying that plex was to expensive. not true! i was at the new england playoff game and after he dropped that td pass at the end he went to the press and said he will never play for the steelers again! i think if he wanted to stay, we would have found a way for him to stay!
Plax knew he was going when the Steelers did not even attempt to do a deal with him at the start of the last year of his contract - saying he was going after the NE playoff game was an attempt to claim staying or leaving was solely his call - not true.

Steelers knew they could not afford Plax & Ward and made a decision to go with Ward prior to start of 2004 season.

If a Steelers starter does not get a new deal at the beginning of the last year on a contract that player is usually gone. I hope that Steelers can keep Chris Hope, but I fear Hope is gone and believe Randle-El wants out of an offense where he returns punts but is an afterthought in the pasing game.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:38 PM   #24
jtdapit
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 862

thankyou for correcting me. but still it was wrong for him to say that, after a championship game
jtdapit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:57 PM   #25
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

I believe we should give Quincy Morgan a shot. He does seem to have that break away speed we think we may be lacking.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:04 PM   #26
Steel - X
Team Captain

Member Number: 583

Very correct SteelerFan! Quincy could be a great WR they just need to give him the cahnce and sit randle and Wilson.

My Fantasy Football Website......NO LIMIT SPORTS

Steel - X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:53 PM   #27
bigredlite
Water Boy

Member Number: 731

hey guys came over from cincybengals.com, good luck this week.
now I keep reading you guys want to start throwing the deep ball you have a couple of problems there, 1st-by the time there is someone down field bigben is usually pressured hard (except the few times ward got free), 2nd-are you sure you want to start airing it out against the team with a defense that has the most interceptions in the league, just thought I would throw that out there . good luck this week and no injuries (ben can't use anymore injuries)

ps--I am not here to talk smack this was just a friendly comment
Old 11-30-2005, 05:41 PM   #28
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,631 Times in 4,008 Posts

youre right about the injuries. seems like its one thing after another with ben. carson had his problems last year. this should be a great rivalry for years to come and neither of these qb's need to miss time. but ben definitely needs to take his shots downfield. atleast a 50 yd interception is like a punt. worth the risk against an agressive backfield that likes to jump alot of routes
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:46 PM   #29
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

We do need a deep threat, and Yes he would help right now, but I just don`t know if I would want him or someone else.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:14 PM   #30
StillerPaul
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 821

I'd be all for giving Quincy a shot. We have to have some kind of deep threat to take a safety out of the area at least so Ben can hit the underneath guy without him getting pummeled IMO.