Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-27-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,272 Times in 3,517 Posts
Default Sarah Palin should "bow out"

i hope everyone who reads this instantly realizes its not from the "evil liberal media".

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...MyYTUxZDkwNTE=

Palin Problem
She’s out of her league.

By Kathleen Parker

Quote:
If at one time women were considered heretical for swimming upstream against feminist orthodoxy, they now face condemnation for swimming downstream — away from Sarah Palin.

To express reservations about her qualifications to be vice president — and possibly president — is to risk being labeled anti-woman.

Or, as I am guilty of charging her early critics, supporting only a certain kind of woman.

Some of the passionately feminist critics of Palin who attacked her personally deserved some of the backlash they received. But circumstances have changed since Palin was introduced as just a hockey mom with lipstick — what a difference a financial crisis makes — and a more complicated picture has emerged.

As we’ve seen and heard more from John McCain’s running mate, it is increasingly clear that Palin is a problem. Quick study or not, she doesn’t know enough about economics and foreign policy to make Americans comfortable with a President Palin should conditions warrant her promotion.

Yes, she recently met and turned several heads of state as the United Nations General Assembly convened in New York. She was gracious, charming and disarming. Men swooned. Pakistan’s president wanted to hug her. (Perhaps Osama bin Laden is dying to meet her?)

And, yes, she has common sense, something we value. And she’s had executive experience as a mayor and a governor, though of relatively small constituencies (about 6,000 and 680,000, respectively).

Finally, Palin’s narrative is fun, inspiring and all-American in that frontier way we seem to admire. When Palin first emerged as John McCain’s running mate, I confess I was delighted. She was the antithesis and nemesis of the hirsute, Birkenstock-wearing sisterhood — a refreshing feminist of a different order who personified the modern successful working mother.

Palin didn’t make a mess cracking the glass ceiling. She simply glided through it.

It was fun while it lasted.

Palin’s recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League.

No one hates saying that more than I do. Like so many women, I’ve been pulling for Palin, wishing her the best, hoping she will perform brilliantly. I’ve also noticed that I watch her interviews with the held breath of an anxious parent, my finger poised over the mute button in case it gets too painful. Unfortunately, it often does. My cringe reflex is exhausted.

Palin filibusters. She repeats words, filling space with deadwood. Cut the verbiage and there’s not much content there. Here’s but one example of many from her interview with Hannity: “Well, there is a danger in allowing some obsessive partisanship to get into the issue that we’re talking about today. And that’s something that John McCain, too, his track record, proving that he can work both sides of the aisle, he can surpass the partisanship that must be surpassed to deal with an issue like this.”

When Couric pointed to polls showing that the financial crisis had boosted Obama’s numbers, Palin blustered wordily: “I’m not looking at poll numbers. What I think Americans at the end of the day are going to be able to go back and look at track records and see who’s more apt to be talking about solutions and wishing for and hoping for solutions for some opportunity to change, and who’s actually done it?”

If BS were currency, Palin could bail out Wall Street herself.

If Palin were a man, we’d all be guffawing, just as we do every time Joe Biden tickles the back of his throat with his toes. But because she’s a woman — and the first ever on a Republican presidential ticket — we are reluctant to say what is painfully true.

What to do?

McCain can’t repudiate his choice for running mate. He not only risks the wrath of the GOP’s unforgiving base, but he invites others to second-guess his executive decision-making ability. Barack Obama faces the same problem with Biden.

Only Palin can save McCain, her party, and the country she loves. She can bow out for personal reasons, perhaps because she wants to spend more time with her newborn. No one would criticize a mother who puts her family first.

Do it for your country.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,272 Times in 3,517 Posts
Default Re: Sarah Palin should "bow out"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
Your right. Give it to the guy planning pizza party for the neighborhood and his raceist, white people hating, patriotic wife. I have heard the stupidest reasons why Palin isn't a good VP nominee. From her baby with special needs, to her 'out of style' hair. I would vote for Hillary before voting for Obama and his scag wife.

WOOHOOO!

"Cellllllll u BRAY shun"
Old 09-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
Your right. Give it to the guy planning pizza party for the neighborhood and his raceist, white people hating, patriotic wife. I have heard the stupidest reasons why Palin isn't a good VP nominee. From her baby with special needs, to her 'out of style' hair. I would vote for Hillary before voting for Obama and his scag wife.
Why is she racist?
Old 09-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Kathleen Parker is definitely a conservative, and I agree with her on several of her positions (but certainly not all). That being said, I don't concur with her on this matter. If Obama is okay to "learn as he goes" why does he get a pass? He DOES have less executive experience than she does, but he HAS had more time to study up on what to do and say, things that make him seem presidential.

I would wait until Palin debates Biden before I made ANY kind of assessment of her abilities. Biden, buy any measure, should squish her like a grape in a debate, but I have a feeling she's a quick study, and will hold her own.

I also expect any truly memorable moments from debates in this election to come from Biden/Palin. They are both the bulldogs of their respective ticket (Hell, Biden's whole role is to attack McCain so Obama can play good cop)
Old 09-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,006 Times in 1,866 Posts

As opposed to the town drunk running the country?

[YOUTUBE]4TBNeNHHXEY[/YOUTUBE]

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Reminds me of Otis...

Old 09-27-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

why don't we at least see her debate before we call for her to bow out. Let the lady speak instead of fending off slander from libs and media. I understand your strategy though. Since McCain clearly won the debate, now we move on to slamming Palin and get the bullseye off Hussein Obama.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Parker is a conservative, and I mean a real dyed-in-the-wool conservative. Her observations have merit, but, again, this is a big jump for her, and a little time for her to acclimate is only fair. Obama had a couple years to brush up and spin himself up into a presidential candidate...let's see what Sarah Palin can do in a couple months.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #9
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

In what respect, Tony?

CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:39 PM   #10
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
As opposed to the town drunk running the country?

[YOUTUBE]4TBNeNHHXEY[/YOUTUBE]
I bet he's not drinking the cheap stuff either, our tax dollars at work yet again. For goodness sakes man at least stay sober untill after the speech.

Reminds me of that boxing announcer...can't think of his name, but I'm sure many of you know who I'm talking about the older guy, who would slur all the way through the fight.