Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-29-2005, 08:51 PM   #1
kingdean
Water Boy

Member Number: 876
Default Why The Steelers Lost to Indy

Predictable play calling kills the Steelers
-------------------------------------------

During the first 3 Pittsburgh possessions the Steelers ran the ball 4 times for a total of -2 yards? Why did they get -2 yards on 4 runs? Because the Colts had 7-8 guys waiting for the run and Willie Parker can not run up the middle. And on 3rd down and long of course they had 7 guys back waiting for the pass. This is the norm for Pittsburgh and this is one of the main reasons they lost the title game to the Patriots last year.

If it weren't for the Troy Polamalu interception, the Steelers wouldn't have even scored in this game. On the Steelers 3rd possession they had 1st and goal and ran the ball on 1st down for 2 yards. Then they had 2 false start penalties and had 2nd and goal on the 15 yard line. What did they do? Of course run the ball again for 3 yards.... the longest run of the game for them up till this point. Now you have 3rd and 12 and luckily they got a well thrown TD pass to Ward. The Steelers are in this game trailing 10-7.

On the Steelers 5th possession they had another false start and ran the FB on 1st and 15 for 7 yards. Then finally a pass on 2nd and 8 for 9 yards for a 1st down. Sweet, maybe they will mix it up and pass on 1st down... nope another run for 0 yards. Facing 2nd and 10 the Steelers pass the ball for 9 yards. With a QB run of 5 yards the Steelers have another 1st down. Then back to the same predictable play calling. A run on 1st and 2nd down for 2 yards each bring up 3rd and 6. The Colts are waiting for a pass and the Steelers complete one for -3 yards. And once again a punt.

At this point in the game the Steelers had 7 first down and ran the ball on 1st down every single time. The Steelers running back had 7 first down runs for ZERO yards. The only runner to get yardage was when they mixed it up and had Dan Kreider run up the middle for 7 yards on 1st down. At this point in the game they ran the ball on 2nd and 13, 2 and 15 in the red zone, and 2nd and 8.

On to the 6th possession. The score is Indy 10, Steelers 7. The Steelers finally pass on 1st down but it is incomplete. So 2nd and 10, let's run the ball again and they did for 3 yards bringing up 3rd and long again. So what do they do... they run it again for 4 yards and punt. Would Tom Brady run it on 3rd and long?

Ok, on to the Steelers 7th possession. Let's see if Staley can run. Can anyone guess what the play call was for 1st down? You guessed it a run for 4 yards. Not bad, that is the most yardage on a 1st down all game. By now the score is Indy 13 - Steelers 7 so we are still in this game. 2nd down and 6 how about another run for -1 yards as 8 Colts are waiting for Staley. Then a short pass on 3rd down to Parker falls short of the 1st so yet another punt. At this point in the game it is almost half time and Big Ben hasn't completed a 10+ yard pass.

Ok, the game is almost getting out of hand. It is now 16 - 7 and the Steelers have only 1:11 to score before half. And finally they decide to pass the ball. Back to back 7 yard completions gives us a 1st down. Another 8 yard completion and then a Big Ben interception brings us to halftime. Ben had no 10+ yard completions in the first half. Besides the last drive of the half when they had to throw, the Steelers only threw the ball on 1st down 1 time in the first half even though they running game was non-existent.

The Colts scored first in the 2nd half and the score was 23 - 7. Times are desperate for the Steelers. We need some points and fast. So what do they do? They run the ball on 1st down. After a pass and a first down. They run the ball again on 1st down for 2 yards. A few penalties later another Pittsburgh punt.

Pittsburgh then finally passed on 1st down for an incompletion. Then another run up the middle for -1 yards leads to a 3rd down and 11. A great scrambling pass by Big Ben for 35 yards and it looks like we are in business. This happens to be the only Pittsburgh completion over 10 yards for the entire game. After a sack and a few runs by Big Ben and Pittsburgh turned over the ball.

Now we are down by 16 points and finally the Steelers have to pass and complete 2 of 4 passes before Ben throws his 2nd INT of the game. Another 3 points by Indy puts the score at 26 - 7 and pretty much out of reach with 1:32 seconds left. So what do the Steelers do now? Run the ball on 1st down 2 more times and for 4 out of 4 of their final plays. What other team wouldn't try to make it interesting and try to score in this situation? Why even call a running play if you aren't going to try to score? Why get someone hurt? Why not just down the ball?

To sum it all up.... Pittsburgh is a great running team. But their predictable play calling forces them to pass the ball 1st to open up the running game. As they did in the Patriots victory last year, they got a big 21-0 lead by passing the ball and being aggressive, and then that opened up the running game and they ran the ball like 22 consecutive times and won the game. Most teams need to establish a running game to open up their passing game. Not the Steelers. Remember a few games ago when Charlie Batch was at Quarterback and the Steelers opened up the game throwing the ball like 75% of the time and quickly scored? That was unpredictable and it worked. They expected runs on 1st and 2nd down and we didn't do that and even Charlie Batch got the win. Let's not talk about game Maddox played it because he just plain sucks.

When the game was with in reach we ran the ball 8 of 9 times on 1st down for 11 yards. Would the Patriots do this? Would the Colts? No team would do this. The only time the Steelers 3 and outed the Colts is in the first half when they ran the ball 3 consecutive times. If you take out Ben's 12 and 5 yard runs, Kreider's 7 yard run, and Parkers 24 yard run at the end of the game, the Steelers half backs had 36 yards rushing on 21 rushes for an average of 1.7 yards per carry. I'm sorry but when you are averaging 1.7 yards per carry you do not run the ball on 1st down 90% of the time. And you also need to take some chances. The Steelers had 111 yards passing for an average of 3.8 yards per pass. Again if we opened up the run by passing deep to start the game off (like the Colts did), the run may have been effective. But since we didn't, the Colt has 8 guys waiting for the run and it wasn't.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Run -1, Pass inc, Pass 6, Punt 0 - 0

Run -3, Run 0, Sack -5, Punt 0 - 7

Run 0, Pass (flat) 3, Pass inc, Punt 0 - 10

Run 2, (2) false starts, Run 3, Pass 12, TD 7 - 10

False Start 1st and 15
Run(FB) 7, Pass 9, 1st down
Run 0, Pass 9, QB Run 5, 1st down
Run 2, Run 2, Pass - 3, Punt 7 - 10

Pass Inc, Run 3, Run 4, Punt 7 - 10

Run 4, Run -1, Pass 5, Punt 7 - 13

Pass 7, Pass 7, 1st down
Sack -10 (penalty), 1st down
Pass 8, Pass Interception 7 - 16

Halftime

Run 7, Pass 4, 1st down
Run 2, False start, Pass 6, Pass 5, False Start, Punt 7 - 23

Pass inc, Run -1, Pass 35, 1st down
Pass 7, run 7, 1st down
Sack -7, Pass inc, QB Run 13, QB Run, Turnover 7 - 23

Pass inc, Pass 6, Pass 7, 1st down
Pass inc, Penalty -5, Pass int 7 - 23

Run 24, 1st down
Def penalty, Run 4, Run -2, Run 2 7 - 26
kingdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:55 PM   #2
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508
Default Re: Why The Steelers Lost to Indy

we lost cause it was another big game and cowher was coaching and our oline sucks ass
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:45 PM   #3
steelcityjameser
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 827

-poor execution on the o-line.
-poor execution on offensive play calling.
-lack of patience.
-rusty qb.
-ike taylor wanting to be a middle linebacker.
-willie, jerome, duce running like girls.
-wide receivers that don't know how to get open.
-special teams lackluster performance.
-on the road.
-vs. a team built for a dome.....in a dome.
-vs. a team some say has the best offense in the NFL, if not ever.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:03 PM   #4
24seven
Starter

Member Number: 525

all the above plus Bens inability to read defenses and audible. Peyton knows how to read anything and everything.. Once Bens able to do like that we may have a chance but They need him to have the power to audible the stupid ass plays that are being called cause lickmynuts wisenhut can't figure his head from his ass anymore!~!!!!
24seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:10 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,540 Times in 3,972 Posts

excellent read kingdean
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:28 PM   #6
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24seven
all the above plus Bens inability to read defenses and audible. Peyton knows how to read anything and everything.. Once Bens able to do like that we may have a chance but They need him to have the power to audible the stupid ass plays that are being called cause lickmynuts wisenhut can't figure his head from his ass anymore!~!!!!
well i never really seen ben audible a lot and i hope he doesn't casue when i don't use the steelers in madden and i have to play him i don't want to wait the whole time clock hearing him audible like damn peyton and brady on that damn game
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:18 AM   #7
kingdean
Water Boy

Member Number: 876

If you have Tivo watch the game over and look at our running plays. On first down there are 8 men waiting for the run. I don't care if you are Shaun Alexander, you aren't going to get very far with 8 men waiting for you to run right up the middle. They know it is coming. They are waiting for it. And when it is 3rd and 8 they rush 4 guys and drop everyone back cause they know Ben is going to pass. This makes our rushing ineffective and our passing ineffective. I'll say it again.... the key to the Steelers winning or even making the playoffs at this point is to PASS to open up the RUN. This is backwards of pretty much every other team but it is something we must do. It worked against the PATS two Halloweens ago and it will work again.

And for those of you who love Madden 06.... did you ever play against someone who picks the same play over and over? Or someone who is predictable. It is great. Because everything you do on defense works. But then you play someone who is unpredictable and it is 10x harder to play them. Real football is the same thing. When Brady or Manning come up to the center I have no friggin idea what they are going to do.... and like a few of you said.... when you do know what they are going to do they call an audible and take advantage of you.
kingdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:44 AM   #8
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Excellent original post Kingdean - love the detailed breakdown of the of the game.

What must be worrying for Steeler fans is that plenty of fans, myself included, have spotted along time ago that Cowher hs absolutely no ability to deviate from the pregame plan - and when he does - see 4th and 4 draw play and the onsides kick - it invariably ends in disaster.

The Steelers are handicapped by having Cowher at HC - he may be a fine evaluator of player talent but he is no good at game management - there must be a suitable position that the Steelers can find for him in the organisation.

As a fan of a rival team - I have to say im always licking my lips at the prospect of having Cowher on the oppositions touchline.

Regards

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:33 AM   #9
fergusonat
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 874

Wow, reading that made me relive the frustration!

The Steeler organization isn't going to get rid of Cowher anytime soon...they've only had two different head coaches in the past 37 years and I don't see them ending Cowher's reign when he's still as young as he is. The Rooney's are too conservative, and that conservatism is transferred through to the Steeler's game plan. I, however, think they obviously need to change somethings because right now the current setup justs isn't working. I like Cowher, but he's shooting himself in the foot! It was almost as if he sent a telegram over to Dungy and let him know what plays they were going to run before each snap! Absolutely outrageous plays.

And whoever mentioned that the running backs were running like girls, I completely agree. Willie took one hit and he went down like a ton of bricks...sorry, but it just didn't look to me like he was putting much effort forth to get the first down.
fergusonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:59 AM   #10
Steel Fury
Water Boy

Member Number: 487

Yeah how is it when Maddox was our QB we threw 4 straight plays(all incomplete) but with Ben we run even if it is 8 in the box?