Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 10-05-2008, 12:49 AM   #11
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,764 Times in 1,610 Posts
Default Re: 2009 Early Draft Outlook Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
IF the Steelers used the first round pick for an OT this year.....it would have been a huge reach. Anthony Collins was the next OT taken and I think he went in the 3rd. No use reaching too far.

The good thing is between O and D line, there should be somebody there in the first couple rounds worth taking.

Just watched the Ohio St game and Alex Boone looks heavy footed. Kind of a slower version of Joe Thomas, but he doesnt even look to have decent balance. I think his #7 ranking of the OT's is probably decently accurate. He will likely be a RT in the NFL.
i got a feeling there's gonna be another mad scramble for linemen, just like last year.other than a too good to pass up CB, or safety what other position could they address, that wouldn't be viewed as a frivelous pick? if the run on linemen starts, i sure as hell hope they look to trade up to get one. even if its mack or robinson. philly has 2 first rd picks, and they need tackles just as bad as we do. reed even said he would have taken a tackle (otah) last year had they not traded, so its a safe bet, that they'll get at least 1 next year if not 2.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:45 AM   #12
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

The linemen I see worth a 1st round pick right now.

OT
Michael Oher / Ole Miss. ( No way )
Andre Smith / Jr. / Alabama ( No way )
Eugene Monroe / Virg. ( Not likely )
Ciron Black / LSU-- my favorite ( Not Likely)

OG
Duke Robinson / Okl. ( No way )

OC
Now these are real possobilitys.
Alex Mack / Cal
Jonathon Luigs / Ark.

I don't think we get one of the top OTs, remember Brown was picked before our 1st pick this year. But I think there are several players that could really help us in the 2nd and maybe 3rd rounds.

Forget about Robinson, go to the kichen in the 1st hour of the draft and you could miss his name.

OC is where our real possablities are. Its a position we need to fix, and either Mack or Luigs will be there when we pick. This is where I think our 1st pick will be. I like Mack but won't turn my nose up at Luigs.
Other wise I think they will look at DE/DT in the 1st round.

Names that could change things if they slide that far.
CB
Malcom Jenkins / Ohio St.
Vontae Davis / Jr / Ill.
D.J. Moore / Jr / Vandy.

S
Taylor May / USC
Myron Rolle / Jr / Florida St.
William Moore / Miss.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:49 AM   #13
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,139 Posts

Yeah, if the Steelers cant find a free agent LT, they may have to make a move to get one in the draft.

Starks and Smith dont look to be resigned. They could goto the draft with only Colon and Hills under contract.......in that case drafting Alex Mack makes no sense.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #14
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah, if the Steelers cant find a free agent LT, they may have to make a move to get one in the draft.

Starks and Smith dont look to be resigned. They could goto the draft with only Colon and Hills under contract.......in that case drafting Alex Mack makes no sense.
so ya think there gonna let thier left tackle walk , then turn around and sign a cheaper,most likely inferior, free agent left tackle...... .....hell of a way to build a winner .....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

These guys are all gonna be gone by the time we pick and anyone else is a reach.

Maybe start looking towards 2010??

Seriously though, Make your best guess at who you can move up for and hope he pans out.

If theres nobody worth taking at #2 then trade down and get multiple 3rd round quality prospects. You can't neglect the OL anymore.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #16
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:

I don't know if I could say taking Mack makes no sense in any case, but then I love the guy and am not at all happy with our center position.
I agree that given the choice I would rather have one of the OTs I mentioned. IMO you can just forget about Oher and Smith, and I'm really not sure just what Monroe or Black would cost us, but if it were workable I would rather take Black or ever Monroe and try to find a center in the 2nd or 3rd.
It is my opinion that once you get past these 4 OTs finding a player that could play a lot of minutes at LT would be a bit of a crap shot.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #17
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
so ya think there gonna let thier left tackle walk , then turn around and sign a cheaper,most likely inferior, free agent left tackle...... .....hell of a way to build a winner .....
They made no attempt to sign Smith. They might have been able to extend his deal and lessen the cap count for this season. He appears to be on the way out the door just like Faneca last season.....but Smith is being a pro about it.

I think they may try the market and might end up paying more for a good younger OT like Jordan Gross or end up holding the bag on a guy that can play but is over the hill like Tra Thomas.

I was in favour of extending Smith this year, then drafting somebody next year that can step in by 2010 or 2011 when Smith could be released or traded.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #18
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
I don't know if I could say taking Mack makes no sense in any case, but then I love the guy and am not at all happy with our center position.
I love the chance of Mack playing for 10 seasons in B&G too. It all depends if they can solidify the LT position in the offseason. IMO, Starks, Hills or Essex are not good options at LT and Marvel Smith appears to be on the way out.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #19
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
I love the chance of Mack playing for 10 seasons in B&G too. It all depends if they can solidify the LT position in the offseason. IMO, Starks, Hills or Essex are not good options at LT and Marvel Smith appears to be on the way out.
well the way i see it......
smith - no offers....could use the transition tag, but i doubt it.....bye marvel
starks - couldn't get on the field after marvel went out .....bye max
essex - why have they not even tried him at right tackle, and get him some game experience if there serious about him at left? can he be any worse than colon ?......bye essex

Old 10-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #20
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

All I care about is lineman prospects. Our DL isd getting old and injury prone and our OL is our clear cut weakness. Best lineman available 1st 4 rounds not counting DE that would be LB in a 3-4 scheme.
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote