Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #21
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456
Default Re: 2009 Early Draft Outlook Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post

CB
Malcom Jenkins / Ohio St.
Vontae Davis / Jr / Ill.
D.J. Moore / Jr / Vandy.

S
Taylor May / USC
Myron Rolle / Jr / Florida St.
William Moore / Miss.
Screw those guys, if they're gone in the 1st 3 rounds then i want no part of them. We don't need to be dicking around with DBs, we need a younger DL and an OL that will give Big Ben the protection he deserves and the protection he needs to remain healthy enough to play by the time Ben's plays out his rich contract.
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:10 PM   #22
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
They made no attempt to sign Smith. They might have been able to extend his deal and lessen the cap count for this season. He appears to be on the way out the door just like Faneca last season.....but Smith is being a pro about it.

I think they may try the market and might end up paying more for a good younger OT like Jordan Gross or end up holding the bag on a guy that can play but is over the hill like Tra Thomas.
I was in favour of extending Smith this year, then drafting somebody next year that can step in by 2010 or 2011 when Smith could be released or traded.
It is not the steeler way to draft and start an O lineman especially a LT .

I tend to agree that they will go after a free agent LT and would like to draft Mack (1st) but probably get Luigs (2nd) for the future. Then they can spend next year behind Hartwig and take over the center duties for the next 9 - 10 years.

A tackle will be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd (Fenuki Tupou, Jamon Meredith or Jason Smith are some possibilities) and they will be given time to develop. Unfortunately that means one of the current tackles ( Colon) will be starting next year at RT.

I find it interesting that some of the big name DE/DT's are sliding down some draft boards as the college season progresses. Both Moala and Tyson Jackson are listed as 2nd rounders on some boards.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:51 PM   #23
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,659 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
It is not the steeler way to draft and start an O lineman especially a LT .

I
maybe so aussie, but the steelers didn't used to neglect the lines for 5 yrs strait either.....this thought running around here that a rookie can't start is total B.S. ....just because cowher or noll never started a rookie, doesn't meen that TOMLIN wouldn't....desperate times call for desperate measures.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:04 AM   #24
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I love the chance of Mack playing for 10 seasons in B&G too. It all depends if they can solidify the LT position in the offseason. IMO, Starks, Hills or Essex are not good options at LT and Marvel Smith appears to be on the way out.

Actually, I think Essex is pretty good at that position. But will he continue there... or will they upgrade it in the draft? I don't know.

I prefer they allow Essex to play and focus on the center and right side of the line in this draft.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:06 AM   #25
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
maybe so aussie, but the steelers didn't used to neglect the lines for 5 yrs strait either.....this thought running around here that a rookie can't start is total B.S. ....just because cowher or noll never started a rookie, doesn't meen that TOMLIN wouldn't....desperate times call for desperate measures.
No... rookies CAN start... they just usually never do, because we seldom ever draft for position... instead we draft BAP in the rounds that could impact a team in year one... and those players usually end up behind some other good players for a time.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:16 AM   #26
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
No... rookies CAN start... they just usually never do, because we seldom ever draft for position... instead we draft BAP in the rounds that could impact a team in year one... and those players usually end up behind some other good players for a time.
yeah....but when you don't have " good " players in front of you, then you should get the start.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-08-2008, 12:43 AM   #27
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
yeah....but when you don't have " good " players in front of you, then you should get the start.
I agree with that view totally MOP and Preach.

If this season pans out to be a successful as it is looking I just dont see a quality LT being on the board when it comes time to draft.

The only quick fix is via free agency. The long term path is via a good quality pick in the first 2 rounds. The best option IMO is to combine the two and seriously address this unit.

What could ben and FWP really achieve behind a line that dominates?
Old 10-08-2008, 03:16 AM   #28
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I prefer they allow Essex to play and focus on the center and right side of the line in this draft.
i agree and nfldraftcountdown.com has us taking alex mack the center from CAL... who is a prospect i have no qualms about.

btw they have us picking 31st... (superbowl anyone?)
Old 10-08-2008, 10:43 AM   #29
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
I agree with that view totally MOP and Preach.

If this season pans out to be a successful as it is looking I just dont see a quality LT being on the board when it comes time to draft.

The only quick fix is via free agency. The long term path is via a good quality pick in the first 2 rounds. The best option IMO is to combine the two and seriously address this unit.

What could ben and FWP really achieve behind a line that dominates?
keep in mind....you CAN, bargain with future draft choices. i'd go so far as to say i'd give up every pick this year, and next year for two starting quality Olinemen (top 20 picks), two Dlinemen,that dress on sundays ( 2nd rd), and a promising cornerback. ( comp pick) .... we have depth everywhere else, and there's always free agency.

Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 10-08-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #30
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by St33lersguy View Post
Screw those guys, if they're gone in the 1st 3 rounds then i want no part of them. We don't need to be dicking around with DBs, we need a younger DL and an OL that will give Big Ben the protection he deserves and the protection he needs to remain healthy enough to play by the time Ben's plays out his rich contract.
All those guys will most likely be gone by pick 20 in the 1st round, so I don't think you will have to worry about it much.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote