Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 09-30-2008, 04:29 AM   #1
the_king_from_leon
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9061
Default Coaches calling Time Outs

I thought that the Defence played us out of a tough spot last night, the offence looked awful in the majority of the 1st half but started to play some football in the second.

The main issue I have with last nights game was when there was the call for Time Out from Mike Tomlin which denied us a Touchdown....this isnt the first time this has happened with Tomlin and I am finding it really hard to understand his decisions to call Time Outs at the last second before the play and get it wrong!

It nearly cost us the game last night and that would have been a ridiculiously annoying situation to have lost due to calling a Time out!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:53 AM   #2
Blitzburgh_Fever
Starter

Member Number: 7228
Default Re: Coaches calling Time Outs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_king_from_leon View Post
I thought that the Defence played us out of a tough spot last night, the offence looked awful in the majority of the 1st half but started to play some football in the second.

The main issue I have with last nights game was when there was the call for Time Out from Mike Tomlin which denied us a Touchdown....this isnt the first time this has happened with Tomlin and I am finding it really hard to understand his decisions to call Time Outs at the last second before the play and get it wrong!

It nearly cost us the game last night and that would have been a ridiculiously annoying situation to have lost due to calling a Time out!
Marvel Smith was hurt, in pain, the coaches saw something Ben didn't. The "negate a touchdown" argument doesn't hold, you can clearly see the Ravens D stop playing about two seconds into the play (when the refs start blowing the whistle). I'm watching the play on my TiVo at 11:52 in the 4th, over and over, and it's clear the Ravens D stops.

In the previous play, Smith got twisted on the ground with his legs underneath him. The coaches probably figured it was best to be careful when your line is fairly shallow in depth, something that's hard to argue with.
Blitzburgh_Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:10 AM   #3
the_king_from_leon
Bench Warmer

I can understand the argument put forward, my only thought was that if Marvel Smith went up to the line of scrimmage he clearly wanted to get involved in that play, if he was injured he would have signalled over to the coaches before going up the the line.

This is the second time that it has happened and I definately think that it would have been a different game had the play gone ahead
Old 09-30-2008, 05:17 AM   #4
Blitzburgh_Fever
Starter

Member Number: 7228

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_king_from_leon View Post
I can understand the argument put forward, my only thought was that if Marvel Smith went up to the line of scrimmage he clearly wanted to get involved in that play, if he was injured he would have signalled over to the coaches before going up the the line.

This is the second time that it has happened and I definately think that it would have been a different game had the play gone ahead
I watched it over and over, and Smith lined up normal and even held his man during he play, he seemed fine to play and never seemed to waive anyone over. I'm only going off the announcers, and Kornheiser is an idiot, Jaws usually favors one team heavily, and Tirico locks onto players and doesn't pay much attention to the game it feels.
Blitzburgh_Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #5
flbeliever
Water Boy

Member Number: 9581

I couldn't agree with you more, I told my wife the same thing. This seems to be a bad habit of Tomlins. I think he just freaks out and call's a timeout cause he thinks it's just some kind of "coaching" thing that he should do to try and make himself feel like he's doing an adequate job. I'm not buying it! He just stands on the sidelines and specatates. I'm telling you guys, he's not that good of a head coach. He just doesn't seem to know what to do, and then, as in these situations, just does the wrong thing when he does do something. Marvel Smith wasn't hurt, quit making excuses for bad coaching. Last weeks debacle was about 80 percent coaching error as well. At least Arians stood up admitted such, but I don't think he should of taken all the blame either. I've yet to hear Tomlin admit any mistakes on his part. I'm sorry guys, he might be a good guy and all, but I don't see him successful as the Steelers, (or any other teams) head coach. I think he's probably a great players coach, but not much else.:
flbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
Hapa
Banned

Member Number: 8230

Marvel Smith was hurt.... he's on the IR now. Better that the coaches take him out than that Achilles injury becomes a full blown tear.
Hapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbeliever View Post
I couldn't agree with you more, I told my wife the same thing. This seems to be a bad habit of Tomlins. I think he just freaks out and call's a timeout cause he thinks it's just some kind of "coaching" thing that he should do to try and make himself feel like he's doing an adequate job. I'm not buying it! He just stands on the sidelines and specatates. I'm telling you guys, he's not that good of a head coach. He just doesn't seem to know what to do, and then, as in these situations, just does the wrong thing when he does do something. Marvel Smith wasn't hurt, quit making excuses for bad coaching. Last weeks debacle was about 80 percent coaching error as well. At least Arians stood up admitted such, but I don't think he should of taken all the blame either. I've yet to hear Tomlin admit any mistakes on his part. I'm sorry guys, he might be a good guy and all, but I don't see him successful as the Steelers, (or any other teams) head coach. I think he's probably a great players coach, but not much else.:

He's 4 friggin games into his 2nd season as a HC. He's still learning on the job. What the hell do you want? Bill Cowher was 9-7 in his second season as HC. Did you say back then that he'd never be successful? I bet you did.

Give the man a chance, for God's sake.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:34 AM   #8
7/39/43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6289

don't like Tomlin has hurt 2x's by doing that
Old 09-30-2008, 07:35 AM   #9
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

OK, let's just fire Tomlin right now then.

Good GOD Steelers fans have no damn patience whatsoever!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:42 AM   #10
the_king_from_leon
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
OK, let's just fire Tomlin right now then.

Good GOD Steelers fans have no damn patience whatsoever!
I actually think that Mike Tomlin is a very good coach and he will definately come into his own with time, Im just not enjoying seeing him calling these Time Outs just before the snap which seems to cost us, luckily it hasnt lost us the game but it can be a matter of time. Last night we got lucky that we won it in the end but this wouldnt have been the case had the Time Out not been called.

I want to see Mike Tomlin for years to come coaching us, I just dont want to see him calling a time out that will cost us